Groups

Nintendo DSi

So, my 11yr old is on and on about the new Nintendo coming out in April... to my untrained eyes it looks very much like an old nintendo DS with a camera and internet, as a Mum I don't see the attraction of a few upgrades. Anyone have any other opinions for me? Is it worth spending the 144+ when this is released in April, for my kids next birthday? To me the late deals with the Sony PSP+ game seem much better value but they are nintendo crazy and a PSP wouldn't cut it for them.

Any advice please?

Thanks xx

14 Comments

Just got for the normal DS lite, lots of deals now and you can probably get one for £70ish. I doubt your kid will be bothered about the camera.

Spriggan;4674242

Just got for the normal DS lite, lots of deals now and you can probably … Just got for the normal DS lite, lots of deals now and you can probably get one for £70ish. I doubt your kid will be bothered about the camera.

+1. Both our kids love the DS. When we talked about the dsi recently, neither of them seemed excited about the idea of a camera on it. The upgrade is certainly not worth the price difference imo.

Original Poster

Spriggan;4674242

Just got for the normal DS lite, lots of deals now and you can probably … Just got for the normal DS lite, lots of deals now and you can probably get one for £70ish. I doubt your kid will be bothered about the camera.

Hi thanks for this, they have the normal DS ( can you say spoilt ) but they want the new DSi. Just wondering if its worth the extra 144+ quid for a new machine.

ClarityofMind;4674267

Hi thanks for this, they have the normal DS ( can you say spoilt ) but … Hi thanks for this, they have the normal DS ( can you say spoilt ) but they want the new DSi. Just wondering if its worth the extra 144+ quid for a new machine.

NOOOOOOO! That would be spoiling them!

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4674252

+1. Both our kids love the DS. When we talked about the dsi recently, … +1. Both our kids love the DS. When we talked about the dsi recently, neither of them seemed excited about the idea of a camera on it. The upgrade is certainly not worth the price difference imo.

My daughter sounds like this... " do you know the camera has like, ELEVEN lenses?? ". Techno freak in the making. She is probably just overly affected by the sales marketing.

ClarityofMind;4674301

My daughter sounds like this... " do you know the camera has like, ELEVEN … My daughter sounds like this... " do you know the camera has like, ELEVEN lenses?? ". Techno freak in the making. She is probably just overly affected by the sales marketing.

yes, or maybe quite skilful at manipulating Mum... :whistling:

ClarityofMind;4674301

My daughter sounds like this... " do you know the camera has like, ELEVEN … My daughter sounds like this... " do you know the camera has like, ELEVEN lenses?? ". Techno freak in the making. She is probably just overly affected by the sales marketing.

The camera is really poor quality...

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4674341

yes, or maybe quite skilful at manipulating Mum... :whistling:

Definitely! lol!

This is my ammo in return

" but this guy online says..."

Summin tells me I don't have a strong argument here!! :-D

Original Poster

Flodd;4674345

The camera is really poor quality...

Thanks for this xx

I wouldn't rush out and upgrade prices will tumble after the market is saturated with them.

Original Poster

Celticsun;4674543

I wouldn't rush out and upgrade prices will tumble after the market is … I wouldn't rush out and upgrade prices will tumble after the market is saturated with them.

Thanks for this. I probably will wait and see what happens.

REP added to all who responded.

Thank you xx

Hey clarity, my 11 year old son was soooo excited about the dsi coming out and wanted one for his birthday (coming up in july). Basically, the promise of the dsi is that games will be released enabling you to take a picture of yourself on the dsi and then be the character in the game (kinda like the eye toy on the ps2 if you're familiar with that). He also has an old ds, so i thought i would probably treat him. however, we looked at a lot of stuff about it online. the camera is something like 0.3mp, which seems like a really rubbish quality camera to be able to do half the stuff it's promising. My sons have just been given a digital camera by their nan (her old 4mp one) so we decided that that wasn't worth getting the dsi for at this point.
    They're also getting rid of the gba slot, which my son wasn't too keen on as he likes playing his gba games still (and they're a lot cheaper to pick up - and prob more so now with the incompatible dsi coming out ha ha ha!)
    What they have got now is a memory card slot so you can put in a SD card (more expense lol!) this is primarily so you can listen to music on the dsi. my son has a small mp3 player, and apparently it works in much the same way as a mp3 player, so we decided that was not really needed. surely when they're on the ds, they're listening to the noise of the game anyway???
    apart from that, its practically the same thing, a little smaller (warnings of "it'll fall out of your pocket!!") and a big bigger screen.
    i read all of this on the net a couple of months back before anyone knew the exact release date, so it was easier to google dsi without a million shops coming up that wanted to sell you it!!
    My son is now not interested (and he was going on about the dsi since he heard about it middle of last year) and has asked me for a new ds game and some lego instead!!
    If she IS still wanting one, when I walked past game today, i saw a poster. to be honest, i've probably got it completely wrong as I didn't pay much attention, but it said dsi £74 with £20dep for another couple of days.... you might want to stroll down to your local game and see if there's a bargain to be had???
    Good luck!

Original Poster

chryssie;4674973

Hey clarity, my 11 year old son was soooo excited about the dsi coming … Hey clarity, my 11 year old son was soooo excited about the dsi coming out and wanted one for his birthday (coming up in july). Basically, the promise of the dsi is that games will be released enabling you to take a picture of yourself on the dsi and then be the character in the game (kinda like the eye toy on the ps2 if you're familiar with that). He also has an old ds, so i thought i would probably treat him. however, we looked at a lot of stuff about it online. the camera is something like 0.3mp, which seems like a really rubbish quality camera to be able to do half the stuff it's promising. My sons have just been given a digital camera by their nan (her old 4mp one) so we decided that that wasn't worth getting the dsi for at this point. They're also getting rid of the gba slot, which my son wasn't too keen on as he likes playing his gba games still (and they're a lot cheaper to pick up - and prob more so now with the incompatible dsi coming out ha ha ha!)What they have got now is a memory card slot so you can put in a SD card (more expense lol!) this is primarily so you can listen to music on the dsi. my son has a small mp3 player, and apparently it works in much the same way as a mp3 player, so we decided that was not really needed. surely when they're on the ds, they're listening to the noise of the game anyway???apart from that, its practically the same thing, a little smaller (warnings of "it'll fall out of your pocket!!") and a big bigger screen.i read all of this on the net a couple of months back before anyone knew the exact release date, so it was easier to google dsi without a million shops coming up that wanted to sell you it!! My son is now not interested (and he was going on about the dsi since he heard about it middle of last year) and has asked me for a new ds game and some lego instead!!If she IS still wanting one, when I walked past game today, i saw a poster. to be honest, i've probably got it completely wrong as I didn't pay much attention, but it said dsi £74 with £20dep for another couple of days.... you might want to stroll down to your local game and see if there's a bargain to be had???Good luck!

Chryssie thank you this was really helpful... had my daughter read this comment... and she said...

" I guess the PSP IS kinda cool!!" Thank you so much!!

Knowing how awful the camera was helped me compare it to the camera on her mobile phone, which is 3mp and she's always complainging about that so she understood how bad the cam on the nintendo is going to be. I wonder if they will increase the specs on this. They obviously don't realise how techno-aware the next generation is!

Thank you everso much for your comments xxxx

The DSi really isn't worth the difference...the technology is a good few years old with the DS gaming capabilities and all they've done is slap on a rubbish cam and allow you to connect it to your Wii etc.

If you do decide to ignore us and go ahead with it, then sell the DS lite they already have to compensate but I really do believe it's a waste of money and can't believe Nintendo can get away with re-releasing the same handheld 3 times and breaking all record sales in the process. :oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047134
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.811
      3. What would be HELL to you?2839
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1871348

See more discussions