Groups

Nintendo is charging me £78 to repair my new 3ds because of liquid contamination!!

I'm so upset, I can not recall any liquid going near it. The console just refused to turn on suddenly, power light came on then off. It charges but that's about it. They said they will ask for photo evidence to send me. What are my options? Thank u all in advanced

12 Comments

I don't think you have many options, you can either pay it or try and find someone to fix for cheaper (not sure how easy that is with Nintendo products) I think the problem is most devices nowadays have a detector strip inside that changes colours when it comes in contact with liquid, so when they opened it up and likely saw the indicator had changed colour which to them tells them there has been liquid contamination. I'm not sure if these can be faulty or how sensitive it is etc. I could also be wrong! How long have you had the device?

Original Poster

londonlad19

I don't think you have many options, you can either pay it or try and … I don't think you have many options, you can either pay it or try and find someone to fix for cheaper (not sure how easy that is with Nintendo products) I think the problem is most devices nowadays have a detector strip inside that changes colours when it comes in contact with liquid, so when they opened it up and likely saw the indicator had changed colour which to them tells them there has been liquid contamination. I'm not sure if these can be faulty or how sensitive it is etc. I could also be wrong! How long have you had the device?

I have had the game for 9 months. Wow deciding what to do

alt repair service on eBay: ebay.co.uk/itm…401?hash=item3d2aac69c9:g:0E0AAOSwRJ9Xg4LW

The problem is these mositure indicator strips (not liquid indicator strips) can be triggered by condensation from a fast temperature change of the internals of the device or by taking your device into bath room while the hot water is running or even coming into a warm house from outside if the weather is cold enough and your device is exposed to it.

Due to this you may of exposed your device unknowing to a condition where the moisture indicator has been triggered and the manufacturers will stand by these indicators even though they are not 100% accurate to real liqipuid contamination.
    Your only way around it is to either, pay Nintendo, find a 3rd party who can fix it or buy a replacement.

Sorry for the bad news and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Joff

Original Poster

LoRdPlOps111

Some suggestions … Some suggestions here:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/66087027

I will have a look- thanks

Same prob happened with Me on my laptop.. no use my laptop for 2 months plus.. couldn't on so sent for repairs under warranty..came back water spill reports and pics..wasted my £500 for nothing.. now hate cold seasons for electronics products

they should put a clear window on these strips so the user can see if it's triggered.. would save on warranty claims and also 2nd user products that are compromised

Ask for their evidence that the product has been water damaged. You are entitled to an engineers report if these are the claims they are making.

Original Poster

Dawsy

they should put a clear window on these strips so the user can see if … they should put a clear window on these strips so the user can see if it's triggered.. would save on warranty claims and also 2nd user products that are compromised

I agree because that may have been triggered a while ago due the weather we have here. The fault I feel can not be related but that would be impossible to prove.

Original Poster

xfaxfa

Ask for their evidence that the product has been water damaged. You are … Ask for their evidence that the product has been water damaged. You are entitled to an engineers report if these are the claims they are making.

They said they are going to send photos . This sounds like a no win situation for me

My new 3ds xl had a run in with a freak wave last week (it took out several tables at a beach bar I was at, my DS was in my bag and off).
    I'm on here looking to see what deals are available to replace it, but seeing this thread made me wonder if Nintendo would fix it for the same price!?

I've tried drying the thing out for a few days before turning it on, with no joy, I think the salt water has done lasting damage.
    I'm out of the UK for the next few months (someone would bring the DS out to me when they visit this month), but maybe seeing this thread I might be inclined to carry the old DS around with me for a bit.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it's potentially interesting info for me.Thanks! (That being said I'm likely to just buy a new one in Australia as they're that much cheaper and PAL).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions