Nintendo Switch AC Adapter Stopped Working - help needed please

Posted 20th Oct
I have a Nintendo Switch and my AC Adapter has stopped working out of the blue. It was working last night and even this morning, now I have arrived home and it seems to be completely faulty

I have a warranty with Argos D&G, I understand I can use this however I would rather try some troubleshooting steps out first

I have tried

• Waiting for about an hour after initially trying to use the Switch with everything turned off and unplugged to try again

• Ensuring there is no clear signs of water damage or any other damage on the AC Adapter, as well as the dock and the console (tablet) itself

• Plugging a different device (charging my phone) into the plug socket that I tried my Switch in, to ensure it isn't that the fuse has blown

• Moving the Switch with the AC Adapter to a different plug socket

Any other troubleshooting steps would be appreciated. If anyone here has had the same issue and they have managed to fix it themselves, I would be very grateful for any help

Thank you in advance for any help
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
If you have a usb c phone use the charger to plug phone in. It should slowly charge up.

If ur friends have a switch try that..

Buy one off amazon and try it and then return it as unsuitable cuz it worked and urs is broken
justanothercid20/10/2019 18:05

If you have a usb c phone use the charger to plug phone in. It should …If you have a usb c phone use the charger to plug phone in. It should slowly charge up. If ur friends have a switch try that..Buy one off amazon and try it and then return it as unsuitable cuz it worked and urs is broken

Thanks for your reply

I actually used the Switch on a friend's dock (as well as my own dock) this morning. I will ask him if his AC Adapter is working, that will help me figure out some of the issue

Sadly I cannot try charging my phone up with the Switch AC Adapter because using chargers that are not the official one will void the warranty and I have heard Google has a way to track that. I've already had to use the warranty once on my phone

I cannot use amazon because they shut my account down unfairly (I won't go into that and derail my own thread), but were you suggesting returning the one I already have if the new one works? I'm confused at that last paragraph

Thanks for your reply again I appreciate your help
andrewworrall120/10/2019 18:11

Thanks for your replyI actually used the Switch on a friend's dock (as …Thanks for your replyI actually used the Switch on a friend's dock (as well as my own dock) this morning. I will ask him if his AC Adapter is working, that will help me figure out some of the issueSadly I cannot try charging my phone up with the Switch AC Adapter because using chargers that are not the official one will void the warranty and I have heard Google has a way to track that. I've already had to use the warranty once on my phoneI cannot use amazon because they shut my account down unfairly (I won't go into that and derail my own thread), but were you suggesting returning the one I already have if the new one works? I'm confused at that last paragraphThanks for your reply again I appreciate your help

It was actually using the phone cable on the switch. I doubt that a warranty will be void by using a different cable but that’s the choice.. ultimately it’s not working and you have cover so claim it or buy a new one for £20. It’s a replaceable part and needs replacing

Thanks for your replyI actually used the Switch on a friend's dock (as …Thanks for your replyI actually used the Switch on a friend's dock (as well as my own dock) this morning. I will ask him if his AC Adapter is working, that will help me figure out some of the issueSadly I cannot try charging my phone up with the Switch AC Adapter because using chargers that are not the official one will void the warranty and I have heard Google has a way to track that. I've already had to use the warranty once on my phoneI cannot use amazon because they shut my account down unfairly (I won't go into that and derail my own thread), but were you suggesting returning the one I already have if the new one works? I'm confused at that last paragraphThanks for your reply again I appreciate your help

I highly doubt it would void warranty unless it caused damage to charging port. If you inserted it for just a few seconds you can just say you inserted wrong cable by mistake I guess.
justanothercid20/10/2019 18:25

It was actually using the phone cable on the switch. I doubt that a …It was actually using the phone cable on the switch. I doubt that a warranty will be void by using a different cable but that’s the choice.. ultimately it’s not working and you have cover so claim it or buy a new one for £20. It’s a replaceable part and needs replacing

I'll use the warranty, thanks for your help I appreciate it
jamie1520/10/2019 18:31

I highly doubt it would void warranty unless it caused damage to charging …I highly doubt it would void warranty unless it caused damage to charging port. If you inserted it for just a few seconds you can just say you inserted wrong cable by mistake I guess.

I've been told by Google before that even making a mistake would void it as the user has a responsibility to be careful, and that they can and do check, but I will just use the warranty I have for my Switch
andrewworrall120/10/2019 18:39

I've been told by Google before that even making a mistake would void it …I've been told by Google before that even making a mistake would void it as the user has a responsibility to be careful, and that they can and do check, but I will just use the warranty I have for my Switch

Maybe Google is different. That is a very odd thing that they check. I know for certain that Samsung don't check. Haven't had to use any other manufacturer warranty though.
jamie1520/10/2019 18:40

Maybe Google is different. That is a very odd thing that they check. I …Maybe Google is different. That is a very odd thing that they check. I know for certain that Samsung don't check. Haven't had to use any other manufacturer warranty though.

I'd rather not risk it for a biscuit as I do sometimes have to use Pixel phone warranty and whenever I do, the customer service is excellent as the phone has been used according to the manufacturer warranty terms and conditions. Who knows, they may just be saying that, but I'd rather not ignore what they said in case they aren't
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 20th Oct

Sadly I cannot try charging my phone up with the Switch AC Adapter because …Sadly I cannot try charging my phone up with the Switch AC Adapter because using chargers that are not the official one will void the warranty and I have heard Google has a way to track that.

🤪🤪🤪

Is it at all possible your friend had a non-working one and switched it for your working one. Just a thought.
jco8320/10/2019 19:03

Is it at all possible your friend had a non-working one and switched it …Is it at all possible your friend had a non-working one and switched it for your working one. Just a thought.

Nope because we used both docks in the same room when we used both Switch consoles at the same time
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 20th Oct
My Switch all of a sudden works again with the official Switch AC adapter that came with it originally. Weird but I'm not complaining, just odd how it stops working then all of a sudden works again
andrewworrall121/10/2019 14:29

My Switch all of a sudden works again with the official Switch AC adapter …My Switch all of a sudden works again with the official Switch AC adapter that came with it originally. Weird but I'm not complaining, just odd how it stops working then all of a sudden works again

Sounds to me that if you've moved/jogged cable it may have a break/short in it. The best way to tell would be a continuity check - or plug it in and (assuming you see a charging light/indicator) "wiggle" the cable to see if the light goes intermittent. Might answer your question.

Regards, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants