Nintendo switch dropping internet

Posted 1st Jul
my son's switch keeps disconnecting from the internet while he's playing games , does anyone else have this problem?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Have you checked to see if you're having any broadband issues when using other devices?
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 1st Jul
All other devices are fine it's just the switch
Turn the Switch on and off, also turn your router on and off, then see if the problem still occurs or if its fixed
Switch hates WiFi extenders for me and family. Not sure what it is but works better when not connecting to them
Is it actually dropping the wifi or is it the connection to Nintendo's servers? For us it's the latter, their online service is pretty shocking compared to Sony or Microsoft. When the Pokemon DLC activated the connection issues were horrendous.
I think it is Nintendo's side as all our other devices are ok , I keep saying this to my son but it's "our crap internet"!
I had similar issues with Switch, one of the biggest weaknesses of the console.
jamie1501/07/2020 22:02

I had similar issues with Switch, one of the biggest weaknesses of the …I had similar issues with Switch, one of the biggest weaknesses of the console.

I don't think I've ever had this issue, other than when servers were down worldwide and home broadband issues
andrewworrall101/07/2020 22:05

I don't think I've ever had this issue, other than when servers were down …I don't think I've ever had this issue, other than when servers were down worldwide and home broadband issues

Switch has a poor quality WiFi card in it. If it is near your router it will be fine but if a bit far away it really struggles. I have changed my setup to use Ethernet connected to mesh WiFi network, far more stable.
Had similar issues where a single device had connection issues, but had no problems with other routers (that was a fire tablet) so possibly a combination of substandard router and unforgiving switch. Definitely try rebooting the router though as advised above.
Will reboot tomorrow and see how we get on
jamie1501/07/2020 22:08

Switch has a poor quality WiFi card in it. If it is near your router it …Switch has a poor quality WiFi card in it. If it is near your router it will be fine but if a bit far away it really struggles. I have changed my setup to use Ethernet connected to mesh WiFi network, far more stable.

I mostly play Switch in the same room the router is in, but also use it upstairs each night with friends (online) and have no connection issues, quite far away from the router
Same, I bought a neon one first, which worked perfectly fine, then got the AC edition and it started to drop internet connection after a week. A month later it's stopped connecting completely. I've returned it now
Post a comment
@
    Text