Nintendo switch games

Posted 26th Oct
Hi all, not sure is this is the right platform however. My 6 year old has asked for a Nintendo switch and fortnight for Christmas, in your opinion is he too young for fortnight? If so what games would you recommend for his age? I have got him fifa thank you in advanced
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Fortnite has an age rating of PEGI 12 – more or less the equivalent of a PG rating in the movie world – which is given for its “frequent mild violence.

It's up to you as a parent to decide.
Normal switch or switch lite? Is he going to be plugging it in to the TV?
Also consider factoring in a protective case with grips (it's not the most ergonomic of devices, kind of heavy for a six year old too), and a screen protector.
As for fortnite, I'd say it is a bit mature, some toxic behaviour and somewhat mature content in it. Maybe try it in PC your side first? It is free.
I'd recommend Mario Odyssey, Mario kart, maybe Zelda (can be a bit scary and very hard in places). Depends how much you trust, and how mature your 6 years old.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
Mugginz26/10/2019 10:41

Normal switch or switch lite? Is he going to be plugging it in to the …Normal switch or switch lite? Is he going to be plugging it in to the TV?Also consider factoring in a protective case with grips (it's not the most ergonomic of devices, kind of heavy for a six year old too), and a screen protector.As for fortnite, I'd say it is a bit mature, some toxic behaviour and somewhat mature content in it. Maybe try it in PC your side first? It is free.I'd recommend Mario Odyssey, Mario kart, maybe Zelda (can be a bit scary and very hard in places). Depends how much you trust, and how mature your 6 years old.Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thank you, he is 7 in January I have been very reluctant to even buy him the switch to begin with however *all of his friends have one* and I don’t want a disappointed little boy when Santa hasn’t brought him one too! Mario Kart is a great idea. Thank you so much
Splatoon 2 is great shoot up wth paint, respawn no gore but has age rating 10 or over for some reason?
ANDYwwww98726/10/2019 10:54

Splatoon 2 is great shoot up wth paint, respawn no gore but has age …Splatoon 2 is great shoot up wth paint, respawn no gore but has age rating 10 or over for some reason?

I think cause it's fantasy violence and online play. More so the online play that might have pushed it 7 or 12 up.
Indiebear26/10/2019 10:45

Thank you, he is 7 in January I have been very reluctant to even buy him …Thank you, he is 7 in January I have been very reluctant to even buy him the switch to begin with however *all of his friends have one* and I don’t want a disappointed little boy when Santa hasn’t brought him one too! Mario Kart is a great idea. Thank you so much

Glad I could help. I can imagine the pressure is immense. If his friends have got them too then he has likely seen what the game has to offer.
have a look here at the parental controls it offers, and maybe you can check with his friends parents to ensure you are all aligned on the correct setting for younger kids.
epicgames.com/for…ols
Mugginz26/10/2019 11:07

Glad I could help. I can imagine the pressure is immense. If his friends …Glad I could help. I can imagine the pressure is immense. If his friends have got them too then he has likely seen what the game has to offer.have a look here at the parental controls it offers, and maybe you can check with his friends parents to ensure you are all aligned on the correct setting for younger kids.https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/parental-controls

Amazing!! I have decided to get him both Maro karts and splatoon 2 he will be more than made up that he has the switch hopefully it will detract from the fact he hasn’t got fortnight. Thank you ever so much for your help.
My son turned 7 in July and he occasionally plays fortnite with my partner but he does his own thing in it (I’m not too clued up on it other than my son just walks around and finds things?!) he does get bored of it though as there’s limited stuff he can do without my partner helping. We have mario kart (a must for all family!) and super smash bros which he also likes playing.

He just this week bought the lego movie 2 and quite enjoyed that too, it’s more age related so quite easy play. There’s lots of other lego games about and if he’s into lego it’s worth getting one
Perhaps an Xbox could be better, some of my sons friends say that Fortnite on the switch isn’t great and is way better on the Xbox or Playstation.
Minecraft is a really creative game and could be good to buy if his friends have it too so he can play with them, but it also has single player modes if that's not the case. I think it's suitable for that age.
Hf1234526/10/2019 11:25

Minecraft is a really creative game and could be good to buy if his …Minecraft is a really creative game and could be good to buy if his friends have it too so he can play with them, but it also has single player modes if that's not the case. I think it's suitable for that age.

+1 for minecraft. What a game. It is an absolute time hole though. Hours disappear. Getting him unstuck from it will always be an issue though
My little boy who is an extremely intelligent 7 year old likes to play creative games. He gets very annoyed with games where you can lose or die. He loves Minecraft and I honestly would recommend the game to any parent of young children. He also loves making levels on Mario Maker 2, then getting me to play them. Mario Kart is always a must, however my boys simply never play Splatoon 2. That’s not to say your little one won’t love it, but it is a lot more difficult for young kids (hence the age rating imo).
The Switch versions of New Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Country are great for kids, as like Mario Kart they have added extras that allow young children to enjoy the game. New Super Mario Bros has the character Nabbit who can’t get hurt by enemies (can still fall down holes). Donkey Kong has Funky Kong and Funky mode to make it easy for young children.
Legend of Zelda (Breath of the Wind) is a great game and huge - can be tricky near the end. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening is a more simpler version and fun to play. Super Smash Bro's, Mario's Oddyssey. These are the main top tier games.
Fortnite is fine to be fair but only if you disable chat and voice comms
I'd definitely leave Fortnite for now and pick up Mario Kart for sure, and also look at the Lego games. My Son is 8 and absolutely loves Lego Batman 3, Lego The Force Awakens, and Lego The Incredibles which is his favourite and has a lot to find and do.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 26th Oct
Any Lego franchise game (Marvel, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter etc) are brilliant for children and even better when assisted by a parent or friend etc. One player is fun and the initial game is quite easy to complete but completing 100% of the game is more of a challenge with lots of hidden areas and challenges but this does xtend the lifespan of the game. The two player mode is cooperative and drop-in/drop-out, so a second player can play for as little or as long as they like without affecting player one's game.
Thank you everybody all of your comments have been a massive help to a clueless mother!!
Just so you know fortnite is free and your boy will probably download it himself, it just takes a few clicks from the switch home screen and if all his friends are playing it hes bound to try and get it, its not overly violent or bad but it becomes very addictive and seems to change children a lot, id try and avoid it
Mark_Hickman26/10/2019 12:15

Just so you know fortnite is free and your boy will probably download it …Just so you know fortnite is free and your boy will probably download it himself, it just takes a few clicks from the switch home screen and if all his friends are playing it hes bound to try and get it, its not overly violent or bad but it becomes very addictive and seems to change children a lot, id try and avoid it

You'd definitely want to be setting up parental controls and locking certain age restricted content on a Switch before giving it to a 6 year old.
Indiebear26/10/2019 11:13

Amazing!! I have decided to get him both Maro karts and splatoon 2 he will …Amazing!! I have decided to get him both Maro karts and splatoon 2 he will be more than made up that he has the switch hopefully it will detract from the fact he hasn’t got fortnight. Thank you ever so much for your help.

Fortnite is free anyway you can download that easy enough and he’s fine at 7 playing it
Mario Kart is always a winner in our house, good for all ages
I have an 8 year old and wont let him play fortnite. I work in a school and it is something teachers constantly complain about. Lots of young children play inappropriate games and it can affect their behaviour. Stick to your guns and dont give in to the pressure - it will be worth it! Any mario game and minecraft are a must. I also have a 17 yr old and trust me, once they start on these games there is no going back. Put it off for as long as you can
Can't comment on fortnight as my 7year old daughter has no interest in it, but Mario Kart is a good simple game, also Crash Bandicoot(every now and then I'll play them myself ) . For Christmas I got her hello neighbour hide and seek as its been on the list for a good while ( not sure how good it is though.)
Edited by: "honey6591" 26th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants