Nintendo Switch Mini already in the works?

It seems that Nintendo are cashing in on everything 'mini'. The Switch has only been out for a little over a month and they're trying to make it smaller.

Here's a mock up of what the device could potentially look like:

http://www.mcvuk.com/_media/images/switchmini_1.jpg

“Although the Nintendo Switch can be used as a handheld device, we think smaller children could struggle to use it comfortably in that format due to its size and weight,” Citigroup wrote. “Accordingly, we think Nintendo will launch a lighter, dedicated handheld version of the Switch, possibly to be called the Switch Mini.”

It is rumored to be reduced from $299.99 to $199.99 (Probably £199.99 too).

[Source: MCV]

Top comments

Awesome. The Switch game library is so huge I was thinking the same as Nintendo. Time to stop making game and expand the hardware library.
32 Comments

Awesome. The Switch game library is so huge I was thinking the same as Nintendo. Time to stop making game and expand the hardware library.

No different to anyone else all systems are made way in advance with projections of component costs so they can be released in line with acceptable price points.

One question. So if they were considering the Switch as a revolution in gaming by providing both handheld and console abilities in one hardware, then why are they downgrading back to DS? TBH, I personally prefer the fully portable form of Switch more than it's current state.

mixmixi

One question. So if they were considering the Switch as a revolution in … One question. So if they were considering the Switch as a revolution in gaming by providing both handheld and console abilities in one hardware, then why are they downgrading back to DS? TBH, I personally prefer the fully portable form of Switch more than it's current state.

Because if they did it then it would be to cater to two different markets the home and on the move to see which sticks as the whole thing is just a experiment anyway that began with the wiiu

mixmixi

One question. So if they were considering the Switch as a revolution in … One question. So if they were considering the Switch as a revolution in gaming by providing both handheld and console abilities in one hardware, then why are they downgrading back to DS? TBH, I personally prefer the fully portable form of Switch more than it's current state.

It makes a lot of sense TBH. Price point is the key - a lot of people complained about the £279 cost of a Switch, so here's Nintendo giving people a much, much cheaper way of accessing the Switch game library. If they want the full 'hybrid' experience, then buying a dock and separate controllers will end up costing you more than the standard unit - but giving people the choice can't be a bad thing, surely?

FYI no actual evidence of this
it's just an analyst saying what they want to happen/want to make happen

So now that they are probably going to make the Switch Mini, when can i expect the "New" Nintendo Switch, with 1080p screen, stronger CPU, better battery life and a massive price tag?

mixmixi

​Not everyone can afford the Switch, giving people the option to buy a cheaper option, in my eyes is amazing.

This is just an analyst saying what he wants to see.

A cheaper switch mini makes a lot of sense but there's little motivation for them to release one this year unless sales plummet. It would also only be possible with a die shrink lowering power consumption as they'd have to reduce the size of the battery too.

A new budget portable Switch released with the option of being bundled with a new pokemon would be a massive seller.

ah just rumours getting quoted as facts
some random person nothing to do with nintendo has an opinion and suddenly its a fact lol

Like a big GameBoy.

I'd like a Switch XL.

Haha game journalism. Nintendo would never leak anything like that. Nice try but this is just some guys weird opinion. It might happen similarly in the future. But its a way off. Nintendo are all in with still selling the 3ds as the truly portable device.

Zuulan

Like a big GameBoy.I'd like a Switch XL.

Hahaha, great (XL) minds think alike! I would like to see a larger one too, with at least 1080p display, at least that way I can ditch my tablet for good and in it's place carry a huuuuuuge power bank. Come on Funtendo, you know you wanna cash in on the likes of me, god knows how many iterations of the Gameboy's GameSon's I own. I even have that one with a backlight and that one unreleased GameKid.

This was made up by someone on neogaf.

Rid1

​Not everyone can afford the Switch, giving people the option to buy a c … ​Not everyone can afford the Switch, giving people the option to buy a cheaper option, in my eyes is amazing.

dont you need the joycons and the base for the full experience so if thats the case it will probably cost you more in the long run

but already one analyst has said that it believes a new iteration could … but already one analyst has said that it believes a new iteration could be in the works.

Not really breaking news FD

I think this is likely, but not until the 3DS is retired next year. I don't think we'll be seeing this at e3.

In other news Sony are rumoured to be working on a successor to the moderately successful Playstation 4.

This cannot "switch"

stevenjameshyde

It makes a lot of sense TBH. Price point is the key - a lot of people … It makes a lot of sense TBH. Price point is the key - a lot of people complained about the £279 cost of a Switch, so here's Nintendo giving people a much, much cheaper way of accessing the Switch game library. If they want the full 'hybrid' experience, then buying a dock and separate controllers will end up costing you more than the standard unit - but giving people the choice can't be a bad thing, surely?

I don't know the price for the possible new handhled so I cannot be sure talking about it. We all expected the Switch to be priced sub £200 didn't we? Anyway, what I meant is why did they have to say we are making innovation by introducing Switch then downgrading back to DS era? Switch itself is not a superior hardware anyway!

In other news..

Some Apple may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also

Sony may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also

Microsoft may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also

Samsung may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also

LG may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also

Valve may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..

also..... blah!

Error440

No different to anyone else all systems are made way in advance with … No different to anyone else all systems are made way in advance with projections of component costs so they can be released in line with acceptable price points.

​100% agree they probably developed the small one before the larger one.
just like Sony do with Playstation, its no coincidence that a year after bringing a large brick out the somehow manage to shrink all of the works and technology into something half its size

Original Poster

haritori

In other news..Some Apple may have other hardware products in development … In other news..Some Apple may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..alsoSony may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..also Microsoft may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..alsoSamsung may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..alsoLG may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..also Valve may have other hardware products in development that they may or may not release at some point..also..... blah!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cc/22/bc/cc22bcce675f6fb75644f8a0b496e97a.gif

voyager123

dont you need the joycons and the base for the full experience so if … dont you need the joycons and the base for the full experience so if thats the case it will probably cost you more in the long run

​I personally don't use the dock and keep the joycons on the switch in most cases.

Banned

As others have said, this really isn't ground breaking news. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a change in the form factor after a couple of years. Everyone does it.

Krooner

I think this is likely, but not until the 3DS is retired next year. I … I think this is likely, but not until the 3DS is retired next year. I don't think we'll be seeing this at e3.

You don't think the 3DS and Switch can live side by side?

dr_spaceman

You don't think the 3DS and Switch can live side by side?

Maybe, but if you look at the upcoming releases there's not much past the end of this year. Maybe we'll see stuff at E3 , but Nintendo have only made the software commitment to 2018 anyway, (the first party titles that are there have all been farmed out to external devs) and the industry rumour currently is that hardware manufacturing has been stopped for a while now.

I think a dedicated handheld version of the Switch (Switch Lite) was always the plan.
Edited by: "Krooner" 20th Apr

How will this work with games were you have to shake the controller? You have to shake the whole console.

Zuulan

How will this work with games were you have to shake the controller? You … How will this work with games were you have to shake the controller? You have to shake the whole console.

I think its very unlikely they will do anything that would change the joycon designs..

Someone should make Half Life 3.

with Portal 3

From Wikipedia.org: 23.9 by 10.2 by 1.4 centimetres (9.41 in × 4.02 in × 0.55 in) (Console only)

Something needs to be done if the existing Nintendo Switch hardware exceeds the dimensions of electronic equipment that can be taken onboard aircraft as hand luggage.

[ gov.uk/han…ems ]
---
Flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, and Saudi Arabia

You must put all phones, laptops, tablets and ereaders - and some accessories that can be used with them - in your hold luggage if they’re larger than any of these measurements:

16cm in length
9.3cm in width
1.5cm in depth (thickness)
---

The (only) television advertising I have seen for the Switch shows a group of people playing in an airport check-in lounge so, presumably, the logical extension is that the gaming can continue when the same people board their flight.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1016
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764037
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 547

See more discussions