Nintendo Switch (NX) Your thoughts on the new console?

34 replies
Found 2nd Nov 2016
1. Does it look and sound good to you?
2. Are you disappointed at the apparent lack of initial launch titles?
3. Is the MK8 re-release/update for the console ripping us off?

So many other questions

34 Comments

Their is another thread about Switch already with plenty of opinions and views. Personally I think this will be the final nail in the coffin for nintendo consoles.

1. I think it looks awesome. Can't wait to hear more about it in January.
2. We have no idea what the launch line-up will be. Find out in January.
3. There's no information about any Switch titles at all, with the exception of Breath of the Wild. Even if there is a MK8 port, no one is forcing you to buy it, so no, you're not getting ripped off.

We are getting ripped off if we again need to purchase previously bought digital titles.

1. it looks interesting but its Nintendo great games, awful business practices. ok they have good third party support but so did the wii u at launch and it lost its support very quickly. people are hyped about it but so were people about the wii u , i want it do succeeded but just like when the wii u came out i feel its going to fail.

2. as the other poster said we have no idea, they said it will have a good launch but they also said that about the wii u.

3. no

pricing is going to be a big point with it, 200-250 is the ideal spot for me, but as it looks expensive to make and Nintendo don't like to sell consoles at a loss, im expecting £300 mark if not a little more but if its that price can see it putting people of as you can get a xbox one or ps4 a lot cheaper
Edited by: "voyager123" 2nd Nov 2016

Banned

1. It is clear a crap load of R&D went into the design. That part in the video when the guy on the airplane stands up the Switch device via kickstand, and then glides off the joycons from the Switch device without budging the device from its standing position? That takes a stupid amount of money to figure out. I can't wait to read Kimishima Asks to find out how they managed to do that. Being able to have the entire thing as one solid device one second yet be able to elegantly glide off the joycons the next is seriously impressive.

2. Having just one device where ALL of Nintendo's games will appear on is obviously appealing. I mean, for a money saving place like this of course that would appeal to us because it means we no longer have to buy a console and a handheld to get all of Nintendo's games. Only the one system. It also means more games from Nintendo as they will no longer need to make two versions of Mario Kart, or two versions of Smash, etc... meaning more time to work on other stuff.

3. Of course, the big question is third party support but at this point I think people are fooling themselves if they think that's going to change with the Switch. The Switch was made to consolidate Nintendo's operations. To make their R&D cheaper and output more efficient. It is a design specifically made to benefit Nintendo alone. Not necessarily third parties. I'm under no illusion how the Switch will turn out, which is why I know I'm buying it because of Nintendo games, more specifically because I know I will only need to buy one device this time around to have access to all of Nintendo's future releases. Don't put yourself under any delusion by buying it for any other hope that long standing issues with Nintendo platforms will change with the Switch.

I've 'pre-ordered' with Shopto and have signed up for preorder alerts from Nintendo and Amazon. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about it in January. I'm confident it will continue to be a day one purchase for me.

I understand the disappointment from some and the doubts it will be successful but I loved my time with the Wii U and I was very late to the party with that.

Only time will tell if they have called it right but it appealed to me.

Having said all that Noah's dad - I LOVED the 2ds form factor so I can't imagine you will have any faith in my ability to make sound gaming purchases

Numerous threads on this already.

Spammed.

Banned

1. Does it look and sound good to you?2. Are you disappointed at the … 1. Does it look and sound good to you?2. Are you disappointed at the apparent lack of initial launch titles?3. Is the MK8 re-release/update for the console ripping us off?

1. It does but it needs to be better than just 'good'.
2. What? They've yet to announce its launch games for the NS.
3. No, it's to keep people playing until they have an actual new Mario Kart on NS.

Looks pretty good, could probably say it's going to be better than the 2DS imo.

I can't imagine I would get this for a while but it looks pretty good so far. Hopefully it's got a decent amount of storage so that you don't have to faff about with removing games to drop more on.

teh arn

could probably say it's going to be better than the 2DS imo

Don't mention that word ITT

Original Poster

dtovey89

Numerous threads on this already.Spammed.

http://memes.ucoz.com/_nw/3/74612896.jpg

Best try moving up river lad.

noahsdad

Best try moving up river lad.

Clearly not X)

I'm interested, I mean it can't be any worse than this dust collector that is the PS4.

noahsdad

1. Does it look and sound good to you?

I'm up for it, not sure it'll leave the house much but being able to take it away to hotels and such with work might be nice.

We've not heard anything about launch titles yet have we? Thought all that was coming in January.

It depends what they do with MK8 TBH, stick the DLC tracks on (which I didn't play) and maybe a few more, pull some more over from MK7 perhaps. and I'll probably go for it again. Would like to see it launch at a lower price though, but depends how much they add to it. Splatoon on the other hand, they've got me day one. Even if it's just a bare-bones port.

I like the Switch a lot more than I liked the Wii U - the controller put me off. I'd like to get a Nintendo console again but it really does depend on the games, launch line up and the 1st year will decide it for me.

Original Poster

To be polite about it, in response to the "contributors" to this thread, one of the key and significant improvements is going to be the option to play local wireless multiplayer with each player being able to use their own Switch console like you can with 3DS. Split screen is bad enough on the TV with many games, it would have been unplayable on a handheld screen. I can see us buying 2 x Switch units for the house and travel.

noahsdad

bernardsfingers

2. Are you disappointed at the apparent lack of initial launch titles?3. … 2. Are you disappointed at the apparent lack of initial launch titles?3. Is the MK8 re-release/update for the console ripping us off?

lack of initial launch titles? have they confirmed the release titles?

haritori

lack of initial launch titles? have they confirmed the release titles?

Ask OP

Another gimmicky console.

Underpowered from the start

benjammin316

Another gimmicky console.Underpowered from the start

Unlike Kinect..

haritori

Unlike Kinect..

That's a peripheral though.

benjammin316

That's a peripheral though.

It was launched as a base part of the console design.

haritori

It was launched as a base part of the console design.

I know fam, don't take it personally. Just my opinion.

Looks fricking amazing to me. I believe Nintendo is onto a winner with this one. Can't wait.

noahsdad

To be polite about it, in response to the "contributors" to this thread, … To be polite about it, in response to the "contributors" to this thread, one of the key and significant improvements is going to be the option to play local wireless multiplayer with each player being able to use their own Switch console like you can with 3DS. Split screen is bad enough on the TV with many games, it would have been unplayable on a handheld screen. I can see us buying 2 x Switch units for the house and travel.

I agree, I consider myself alright playing rocket league but the moment I play split screen it messes up my game on a 50" so I'll never enjoy split on a handheld. Like you say though, being able to play local wireless will be awesome. Trying to pursuade people to buy one to play is the tricky part for me.

Tbh i think nintendo need to start listening to the customers and bring out a normal consol with normal pads but with their nintendo games on and around about the same power as ps4/xbone for the third party developers who arnt going to bother if they have to do a lot of work to port their games over and stop with stupid gimmick that no one wants ( the only thing wii remotes were better than a pad for were on rails shooters ) and chasing the demographic that bought the wii as it dosnt really exsist anymore .
I think it might do well if priced at £199 any more than that and it will just be nintendos small fanbase who will buy one

codnan

Tbh i think nintendo need to start listening to the customers and bring … Tbh i think nintendo need to start listening to the customers and bring out a normal consol with normal pads but with their nintendo games on and around about the same power as ps4/xbone for the third party developers who arnt going to bother if they have to do a lot of work to port their games over and stop with stupid gimmick that no one wants ( the only thing wii remotes were better than a pad for were on rails shooters ) and chasing the demographic that bought the wii as it dosnt really exsist anymore .I think it might do well if priced at £199 any more than that and it will just be nintendos small fanbase who will buy one

But then, Just bringing out another console in the style of the PS4 or Xbox One isn't really bringing anything to the market that we don't already have - these two existing systems already cater for their audience pretty well. I'd say that it's generally a good thing that (it appears that) we get a system from Nintendo that's targeted somewhat differently.

Illusionary

But then, Just bringing out another console in the style of the PS4 or … But then, Just bringing out another console in the style of the PS4 or Xbox One isn't really bringing anything to the market that we don't already have - these two existing systems already cater for their audience pretty well. I'd say that it's generally a good thing that (it appears that) we get a system from Nintendo that's targeted somewhat differently.

I love that they are doing something different but would have rather them focused on the premium end. I'd pay £400-£500 for a handheld with XOne power

Deaa

I love that they are doing something different but would have rather them … I love that they are doing something different but would have rather them focused on the premium end. I'd pay £400-£500 for a handheld with XOne power

The problem is, putting aside the feasibility of such a system, the population of people willing to pay that amount would be much smaller than for a system in the £200-£250 price range.

Original Poster

Illusionary

The problem is, putting aside the feasibility of such a system, the … The problem is, putting aside the feasibility of such a system, the population of people willing to pay that amount would be much smaller than for a system in the £200-£250 price range.

Does a Nintendo console and the type of games it generally runs really need £500 worth of hardware though?

There is a public announcement/update on switch at nintendo.co.uk/ on 13th Jan at 4am, don't think I will wait up for that one myself.

noahsdad

Does a Nintendo console and the type of games it generally runs really … Does a Nintendo console and the type of games it generally runs really need £500 worth of hardware though?There is a public announcement/update on switch at https://www.nintendo.co.uk/ on 13th Jan at 4am, don't think I will wait up for that one myself.

It's arguably a bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario, to be honest - if the power's not there, they won't make the games to use it The argument probably has more weight if you consider how the system is seen by third-parties, as putting in additional work to support a weaker system may well be less attractive. Of course, third-parties/multiplatform games aren't typically the main focus of Nintendo's systems nowadays - but again, if Nintendo were to want to change that, they'd need to start somewhere!

Personally, I'm quite happy with the Switch being reserved primarily for first and second party games.

As for the presentation - indeed, it couldn't be timed much worse for us in the UK! I guess that for Nintendo, it's more important to hit the Japanese and US markets than the US and European markets, as is more the case for Sony and (especially) Microsoft.

Illusionary

But then, Just bringing out another console in the style of the PS4 or … But then, Just bringing out another console in the style of the PS4 or Xbox One isn't really bringing anything to the market that we don't already have - these two existing systems already cater for their audience pretty well. I'd say that it's generally a good thing that (it appears that) we get a system from Nintendo that's targeted somewhat differently.

What they bring too market is nintendos first party software which I love more than PlayStation or Xbox but refuse to pay £200-£300 for a console to play 3-4 games that interest me , if they had 3rd party support then there would be a lot more games I would like to play on it and would buy it over ps/Xbox .
And motion controls and tablet controllers are not innovating or bringing anything worthwhile to market and make playing games a pain compared to a decent controller (duel shock/Xbox controller) . I remember the spin jump on Mario galaxy 2 that required you to shake the controller and was very hit/miss and would of been better just as a button that worked every time.
As for Nintendo consoles being different , I am not sure other than my example in my first comment ,if anything positive has come from the attempts . The tablet controller was stupid and barely utilised and the wii motion controllers were used properly for about 10 mins till everyone realised you could do the same thing just sitting down and wiggling your wrist
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2129
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769295
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604800
    4. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608652

See more discussions