Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack price revealed, includes Animal Crossing DLC + Final update coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizon

Posted 15th Oct 2021
so, after many rumours, Nintendo has finally annouced the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack price including includes Animal Crossing DLC.

Update Releases 25th October

Nintendo 64 Controller for Nintendo Switch (thanks @pirate1 for the heads up)

''The Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack price has been confirmed, along with the reveal that it will also include the first paid Animal Crossing: New Horizons DLC.

Announced as part of the Animal Crossing Direct, the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack will be priced at £34.99 / €39.99 / $49.99 for a 12-month Individual Membership, while a Family Membership will be £59.99 / €69.99 / $79.99 for 12 months.

The base tier of Nintendo Switch Online currently retails for £17.99 / €19.99 / $19.99 per year for an Individual Membership, while a Family Membership is £31.49 / €34.99 / $34.99. So the Expansion Pack jump is around double the price of the original.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has yet to confirm the release date for the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack tier, although the company originally stated that it would arrive before the end of October.

3807306_1.jpg
3807306-txZuu.jpg
Make their dream vacations come true

Clients with different dream vacation requests will visit a new resort area located in an archipelago, made up of several different islands, where the Paradise Planning team is located. You can talk to a client and find out the details of their requests for a vacation home, and then make their dreams happen!

Select the character who you’d like to design a vacation home for and personalize everything from home exteriors and interiors, the yard and even customize the weather to either be sunny or rainy

Use an expansive built-in inventory to furnish vacation homes, without being limited to your own inventory, recipes, or resources

Share in-game photos with your island residents or upload them to the Showroom* via the Happy Home Network app to tour other players’ resort island vacation homes or show your design to others

Compatible amiiboTM figures and cards (sold separately) can be used to invite characters onto the islands

animal-crossing.com/new…se/

For that enhanced subscription tier, Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack will add digital collections of Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis for members.

However, it's also now been confirmed that the Expansion Pack tier will also include exclusive access to the paid Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise DLC.

The DLC can be purchased separately for £22.49 / €24.99, but if you pay for the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership, the DLC will be included as part of your subscription.

The N64 games on offer include the likes of Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Starfox 64, while the Sega Genesis titles involve games such as Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Streets of Rage 2.''

Source / Credit

Source / Credit

Also, a final update is coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizon on 5th November (Free)

Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

66 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    pirate1
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 16:02

Hopefully there will be some sort of trade option. You know, like how you …Hopefully there will be some sort of trade option. You know, like how you can "trade" your membership to a family membership and (to my knowledge) just get a shorter membership than what you already had. I think you can? I hope it's like that with this N64 add-on

You can upgrade on a pro-rata basis from the current to the expansion
    Illusionary
    jco8326/10/2021 19:23

Oh dear. I worked out that if buying a Family Membership from cdkeys for …Oh dear. I worked out that if buying a Family Membership from cdkeys for £22.49, upgrading to the Expansion Pack straight away would cost £29.20, so £51.69 total. Not a bad saving

Well, as an update, Customer Services have agreed to refund me for the second extension that I purchased (i.e., the wasted third year), so that's a result. I've not actually received that back yet, but hopefully all should be easy enough from here.
    joanddan7
    Imho a ridiculous price.
    sneakyduck
    pirate115/10/2021 16:44

Could be worse. It works out at around £2.90 a month. It looks like the …Could be worse. It works out at around £2.90 a month. It looks like the addition of Animal Crossing DLC (which costs £22.49 on it's own) has bumped the price up so it's a bit harsh if you've no interest in that. However, the addition of that is interesting as it opens the way for further non-retro games/dlc in the future.

if they'd have added that one caveat to the messaging people would be a lot happier. i.e. "different DLC will be available in the future".

they're getting mauled on Twitter.
    SUPERCOOLWILLOW
    pirate115/10/2021 16:44

Could be worse. It works out at around £2.90 a month. It looks like the …Could be worse. It works out at around £2.90 a month. It looks like the addition of Animal Crossing DLC (which costs £22.49 on it's own) has bumped the price up so it's a bit harsh if you've no interest in that. However, the addition of that is interesting as it opens the way for further non-retro games/dlc in the future.

i had no intrest in going online to begin with but i was tempted for the n64 & sega games & have no intrest in animal crossing so for now its not going to happen for me now if they did one with & one without the animal crossing dlc then id be happier as it be cheaper
    DJFlashHarrison
    Wonder if they will do one without animal crossing dlc as I don't own the game. Otherwise its a no from me.
    marc1982
    expansion costs $50 for single yearly membership and family is $80 in the usa, they are off their rocker! I held off till now and will now buy just the standard one without N64 as my years sub finished in September

45803107_1.jpg

45803107_1.jpg (edited)
    pirate1
    sneakyduck15/10/2021 16:47

you're not up for the "this is just RRP" comments then, no?

Student Beans discount?
    andrewworrall1
    pirate115/10/2021 16:19

I'd wait and see what you get offered, it's officially announced now by … I'd wait and see what you get offered, it's officially announced now by NoE so shouldn't be long before you can get a calculation from them[Image]

Just checked and I can get the Family Membership for £3.25 using my existing membership for a discount. Hopefully it will be a similar price for the N64 add-on (edited)
    pirate1
    Zek15/10/2021 21:03

So I'm guessing if you bought the expansion pack for a year and then …So I'm guessing if you bought the expansion pack for a year and then didn't resubscribe you wouldn't have access to the Animal Crossing DLC anymore? Might as well just buy the DLC and stick to the regular sub if you don't want to play the new games. Those retro games from the expansion should really be included in the regular yearly sub! Or stop giving retro games and give a proper online service.

Here's the official word on what happens if your subscription lapses:

"Players can still continue to access certain things they have unlocked in Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise on their main island, including adding counters, partition walls, as well as adding ambient lighting and soundscapes, even if their access to Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise is suspended. However, it will not be possible to visit the archipelago if players lose access to the DLC. To be able to visit the archipelago and take on requests of designing vacation homes again, you will need to purchase the DLC separately or renew the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.” (edited)
    oli_1_uk
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 19:09

I'm not sure if it gives me another year or not but my membership at the …I'm not sure if it gives me another year or not but my membership at the moment ends 20th September 2023

Just had a look on the Nintendo e-shop, I'm offered a discounted rate for the family membership of £2.85 but it's only for 1 year, it takes into account your current membership and gives you 4p per day of memebership you have, I can imagine it'll be the same for the expansion pass, so a possible good rate for the 1st year depending on how much membership you have left, then £34.99 after that
    45805422-9Pomv.jpg (edited)
    jco83
    Launches October 26th.
    Important to know in regard to upgrading for a reduced price: "This discount cannot be applied to a Family Membership purchased via a download code." nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Online/FAQ/FAQ-1374625.html
    So anyone who bought their Family Membership from somewhere else such as cdkeys

Update: You can upgrade at a discounted rate if you purchased the plan you are currently on via a download code (edited)
    joanddan7
    YouTube video promoting this….

40k plus dislikes….

14k likes….

good work people
    Derpsauce
    Unless it's on time releases for the monthly games, I don't see any reason for a £28.50 price increase(family plan)
    Dan_82 Author
    pirate115/10/2021 15:59

Releases 25.10. Controller available …Releases 25.10. Controller available nowhttps://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/nintendo-64-controller-for-nintendo-switch-000000000010006981.html

Cheers
    Dan_82 Author
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 15:53

Any news on monthly pricing or will the Expansion Pack only be available …Any news on monthly pricing or will the Expansion Pack only be available if you buy a year membership?Any information on how much it will cost for existing Nintendo Switch Online Members to upgrade to the Expansion Pack membership?

I believe you will have to pay full price but need to look into it more, when i get time

Edit - answered here (edited)
    andrewworrall1
    Dan_8215/10/2021 16:01

I believe you will have to pay full price but need to look into it more, …I believe you will have to pay full price but need to look into it more, when i get time

Hopefully there will be some sort of trade option. You know, like how you can "trade" your membership to a family membership and (to my knowledge) just get a shorter membership than what you already had. I think you can? I hope it's like that with this N64 add-on
    pirate1
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 16:08

Thanks, sorry if it's a dumb question but what do you mean by pro rata? …Thanks, sorry if it's a dumb question but what do you mean by pro rata? I've never really understood that terminology or how pro rata actually works

No worries
    It will be a calculation of how much time you have left of your current membership to how much extra you need to pay for the upgrade. Obviously the longer you have left the more you will pay towards the expansion
    pirate1
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 16:13

Ah that makes sense thanks. I have until 20th September 2023 left on my …Ah that makes sense thanks. I have until 20th September 2023 left on my membership because I got some good deals on 1 year memberships from cheap Tetris 99 and the Quidco £20 cashback bonus. Do you know roughly how much I will be paying as I have just under 2 years membership left?Thanks

I'd wait and see what you get offered, it's officially announced now by NoE so shouldn't be long before you can get a calculation from them
    45803217-5xEtp.jpg
    pirate1
    SUPERCOOLWILLOW15/10/2021 16:23

OUCH!!! thats a lot more for a single membership than i was expecting

Could be worse. It works out at around £2.90 a month. It looks like the addition of Animal Crossing DLC (which costs £22.49 on it's own) has bumped the price up so it's a bit harsh if you've no interest in that. However, the addition of that is interesting as it opens the way for further non-retro games/dlc in the future.
    sneakyduck
    pirate115/10/2021 15:59

Releases 25.10. Controller available …Releases 25.10. Controller available nowhttps://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/nintendo-64-controller-for-nintendo-switch-000000000010006981.html

you're not up for the "this is just RRP" comments then, no?
    pirate1
    sneakyduck15/10/2021 16:46

if they'd have added that one caveat to the messaging people would be a …if they'd have added that one caveat to the messaging people would be a lot happier. i.e. "different DLC will be available in the future".they're getting mauled on Twitter.

Yep. They know what they're doing though, and have the data that more people subscribe to NSO for Animal Crossing than play the retro games, hence why they combined the two announcements
    joanddan7
    sneakyduck15/10/2021 16:46

if they'd have added that one caveat to the messaging people would be a …if they'd have added that one caveat to the messaging people would be a lot happier. i.e. "different DLC will be available in the future".they're getting mauled on Twitter.

good and rightly so. I didn’t see a scenario where I wouldn’t pay for this. But this is more than I pay for GPU. Haha.

it doesn’t matter if I can afford it or not. People saying it’s only this or that a month. It’s not a sensible price. End of.
    sneakyduck
    pirate115/10/2021 16:50

Yep. They know what they're doing though, and have the data that more …Yep. They know what they're doing though, and have the data that more people subscribe to NSO for Animal Crossing than play the retro games, hence why they combined the two announcements

100% agree that those folks are getting a great deal out of this. they'll probably lap this up, in fact.
    oli_1_uk
    Am I right in thinking that most of the extra cost is to cover the Animal Crossing DLC? So without it we would be looking at an extra £5-8, this is disappointing.
    pirate1
    oli_1_uk15/10/2021 17:24

Does that mean you'll just pay the difference between your current sub and …Does that mean you'll just pay the difference between your current sub and however much of the expansion you would need? Not like a discounted rate?

There's been no mention of a discounted rate, but we should find out that soon.
    oli_1_uk
    SUPERCOOLWILLOW15/10/2021 16:59

i had no intrest in going online to begin with but i was tempted for the …i had no intrest in going online to begin with but i was tempted for the n64 & sega games & have no intrest in animal crossing so for now its not going to happen for me now if they did one with & one without the animal crossing dlc then id be happier as it be cheaper

Exactly they should do it without the Animal Crossing DLC as well, there's 2 different audiences here, one who want the Animal Crossing DLC and the other who wants to play N64 and Megadrive games.
    oli_1_uk
    pirate115/10/2021 17:30

Probably. Like I said before, it's Animal Crossing and other online games …Probably. Like I said before, it's Animal Crossing and other online games that drive the subscription, not the retro games. The data from this will have been drawn from virtual console game sales and SNES/NES app playtime.

True, I think they've missed the mark on not offering 2 plans but it'll sell regardless
    oli_1_uk
    andrewworrall115/10/2021 19:09

I'm not sure if it gives me another year or not but my membership at the …I'm not sure if it gives me another year or not but my membership at the moment ends 20th September 2023

That would be 2 years worth if transferred, sounds good, maybe there is hope after all, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here
    Estel_Ellessar
    pirate115/10/2021 16:51

Student Beans discount?

This is what I did! Bought a moody account from the US last month for $2
    sneakyduck
    federer2015/10/2021 21:20

So there's no monthly option for the N64 stuff? That's a bit …So there's no monthly option for the N64 stuff? That's a bit disappointing, I have a code to use for NSO and was thinking I'd like to activate it when N64 gets released, but to think you'd have to pay for a full year isn't all that inviting... I think I'll give it a go at some point though, as I'm yet to play the N64 Zeldas...

there are more cost effective ways to achieve this. they've been re-released on 3DS, Wii U, Wii, GameCube.
    sneakyduck
    sneakyduck15/10/2021 21:39

there are more cost effective ways to achieve this. they've been …there are more cost effective ways to achieve this. they've been re-released on 3DS, Wii U, Wii, GameCube.

I'm reliably informed the 3DS remakes are quite good. I never bought them as I own 6 or 7 copies of each, because I have no self control. (edited)
    federer20
    sneakyduck15/10/2021 21:39

there are more cost effective ways to achieve this. they've been …there are more cost effective ways to achieve this. they've been re-released on 3DS, Wii U, Wii, GameCube.

True. But yeah, Switch is my first Nintendo console tbh 😬 (have a Gameboy too)
    joanddan7
    Imho If they want to add dlc to this to make it “more attractive” they should add BOTW dlc, Smash DLC etc…. It seems they said it we whack animal crossing in it’ll force all AC players to feel like they are getting good value and non AC players might be tempted to give it a go. I’ve got AC and I find this model a real turn off. For me this is a massive misstep by ninte
    janiex
    A good way to get the new animal crossing DLC if multiple family members want it.
    pirate1
    andrewworrall116/10/2021 11:40

Is this service available now in South Africa? Or available to pre-order?

Nowhere available yet, probably start to see options appearing next week
    oli_1_uk
    While it would be great to play N64 games, like the SNES and NES games there's only a handful you ever end up playing, and it's not worth that jump in price, especially as most of us get it cheaper at cdkeys.
    andrewworrall1
    Just got this released today not yesterday like in the post £3.44 for a year because I traded in my existing membership. My membership now expires in a year, originally in two years but that does make sense
    pirate1
    andrewworrall126/10/2021 08:32

Just got this released today not yesterday like in the post £3.44 for …Just got this released today not yesterday like in the post £3.44 for a year because I traded in my existing membership. My membership now expires in a year, originally in two years but that does make sense

Yeah, the 25th was for the US whilst the update in the UK was early hours of this morning. It looks like some of the emulation in some games, particularly Zelda OOT, is not so good atm. Hopefully they'll patch the issues.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants