Nintendo Switch online services detailed

Found 8th May
Nintendo Switch Online will launch in September and Nintendo have now detailed the features of the service. The service will launch with three individual price plans and an optional family subscription that allows the user to invite up to 7 of their family members to a family group with online access.

2937040-jbH6G.jpg
Online Play
Battle it out or cooperate with players around the world in compatible games like Splatoon™ 2, ARMS™, Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis™ Aces, and Sushi Striker™: The Way of Sushido.

Save Data Cloud Backup
Save your data online for easy access. Details about this feature will be available before the paid service launches in September.

Special Offers
Stay tuned for news on special deals and offers for members.

The service will launch with 20 games, with new games added regularly. Launch titles include:

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Balloon Fight™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Dr. Mario™
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Super Mario Bros.™ 3

And more to be revealed!
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
Link to the Nintendo page.
deleted396333
Does the switch not have an online service at present?!
deleted3963338th May

Does the switch not have an online service at present?!

It does, but owners haven't been charged for it since launch. The new service kicks in this September at the prices listed above.
deleted396333
BuzzDuraband8th May

It does, but owners haven't been charged for it since launch. The new …It does, but owners haven't been charged for it since launch. The new service kicks in this September at the prices listed above.

I've been thinking of getting a switch for a while but the price of games has put me off.
So after September you won't be able to play online without paying?
deleted3963338th May

I've been thinking of getting a switch for a while but the price of games …I've been thinking of getting a switch for a while but the price of games has put me off.So after September you won't be able to play online without paying?

Nope, but I think at £17.99 per year, it's reasonable for console online subscription.
deleted396333
BuzzDuraband12 m ago

Nope, but I think at £17.99 per year, it's reasonable for console online …Nope, but I think at £17.99 per year, it's reasonable for console online subscription.

Compared to its competitors, I suppose so, but doesn't it have a much smaller online community and far fewer online games than XBL and PSN?
Edited by: "deleted396333" 8th May
deleted3963338th May

Compared to its competitors, I suppose so, but doesn't it have a much …Compared to its competitors, I suppose so, but doesn't it have a much smaller online community and far fewer online games than XBL and PSN?

By numbers alone Nintendo would have less people online that xbl and psn, but given the numbers are all companies are so vastly large this would likely never affect you as a user, you'll still be one of millions of players online with whatever console you choose so comparing numbers at that scale becomes negligible - I haven't noticed longer waiting periods for playing games online with any specific console, if anything I find that usually depends on how recently the game is released i.e. it's harder to find players for a game released 5+ years ago than one released this year (quite often, but there are exceptions to that)

As for the quantity of games themselves, that would really depend on what you want to play, by numbers alone there are more online games available to xb1 and ps4, as both consoles have been out for years longer than the switch - though a lot of those games would be sports and shooter genres with a lot of crossover for both consoles. The games online for Nintendo are a little more unique than that, if that's what you want to play get a switch and play those games online, if you want to play the games online on other consoles get them. Just comparing the numbers though and trying to decide based on that is basically apples and oranges, i.e. if you wanted to buy an orange you wouldn't walk into the apple store just because they boasted having more apples available to buy.
deleted396333
Felicitous3 m ago

By numbers alone Nintendo would have less people online that xbl and psn, …By numbers alone Nintendo would have less people online that xbl and psn, but given the numbers are all companies are so vastly large this would likely never affect you as a user, you'll still be one of millions of players online with whatever console you choose so comparing numbers at that scale becomes negligible - I haven't noticed longer waiting periods for playing games online with any specific console, if anything I find that usually depends on how recently the game is released i.e. it's harder to find players for a game released 5+ years ago than one released this year (quite often, but there are exceptions to that)As for the quantity of games themselves, that would really depend on what you want to play, by numbers alone there are more online games available to xb1 and ps4, as both consoles have been out for years longer than the switch - though a lot of those games would be sports and shooter genres with a lot of crossover for both consoles. The games online for Nintendo are a little more unique than that, if that's what you want to play get a switch and play those games online, if you want to play the games online on other consoles get them. Just comparing the numbers though and trying to decide based on that is basically apples and oranges, i.e. if you wanted to buy an orange you wouldn't walk into the apple store just because they boasted having more apples available to buy.

Oh
Well spotted - pity that as a registered Switch owner they haven't informed me yet
Anyway, as I've never used it online so far and don't have any games on it that I would want to, I think I'll pass and stick with XBL.
Perhaps a more significant announcement for some - we're not seeing a virtual console on Switch.

kotaku.com/vir…253
€19.99 is about 40 pence less than £17.99, if you want to save some change.
Assume nintendo family will be the next spotify family.

Only £4 a year if it is the same process.
Felicitous20 h, 20 m ago

By numbers alone Nintendo would have less people online that xbl and psn, …By numbers alone Nintendo would have less people online that xbl and psn, but given the numbers are all companies are so vastly large this would likely never affect you as a user, you'll still be one of millions of players online with whatever console you choose so comparing numbers at that scale becomes negligible - I haven't noticed longer waiting periods for playing games online with any specific console, if anything I find that usually depends on how recently the game is released i.e. it's harder to find players for a game released 5+ years ago than one released this year (quite often, but there are exceptions to that)As for the quantity of games themselves, that would really depend on what you want to play, by numbers alone there are more online games available to xb1 and ps4, as both consoles have been out for years longer than the switch - though a lot of those games would be sports and shooter genres with a lot of crossover for both consoles. The games online for Nintendo are a little more unique than that, if that's what you want to play get a switch and play those games online, if you want to play the games online on other consoles get them. Just comparing the numbers though and trying to decide based on that is basically apples and oranges, i.e. if you wanted to buy an orange you wouldn't walk into the apple store just because they boasted having more apples available to buy.

What kinda posh-ass place do you live in where they have separate apple and orange stores?!
Avon7779 m ago

What kinda posh-ass place do you live in where they have separate apple …What kinda posh-ass place do you live in where they have separate apple and orange stores?!

The orange stores are called EE now
Will these games work offline? Or it will real lose its appeal for me.

Because the Nintendo Switch won't connect to an internet connections that are from created via hotspotting (4g), I can see it but it's greyed out, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

And I was hoping we'd finally get Netflix too.
I hope the new service offers more than what we have now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions