Nintendo Switch or PS4

Posted 26th Feb
Hi around! Looking for present for my almost 7 years old boy. I told myself that I'll never have any game console at home, but with my growing up boy , things started to change. This morning had a fight with my hubby, he is for PS4, me for Nintendo Switch. what is the best for this age category?. I'm absolutely blind on that field, never had any console at home...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Ask your son what he'd like Incidentally the ps5 is comming out soon.
Hammondhammond26/02/2020 08:13

Ask your son what he'd like Incidentally the ps5 is comming out soon.

For 7 years old, does he really need the latest model? He never been paying before.. lol....
amarone8226/02/2020 08:15

For 7 years old, does he really need the latest model? He never been …For 7 years old, does he really need the latest model? He never been paying before.. lol....

The PS4 and the Switch are the latest models.
amarone8226/02/2020 08:15

For 7 years old, does he really need the latest model? He never been …For 7 years old, does he really need the latest model? He never been paying before.. lol....

I agree but the ps4 prices may come down when the ps5 is released.
Hammondhammond26/02/2020 08:17

He got birthday on the end of next month... so...
Hammondhammond26/02/2020 08:17

I thought that Nintendo is more versatile.
For 7 I would say the switch. My older son has a PS4 which we pay the PS Plus for so he can play online with his friends. It depends whether he will play online with his friends, the PS is perhaps better for that.

For our 7 year old the switch has been great, he can play handheld or on the big screen. It’s portable so he takes it on holiday or to his grandparents. He uses it to watch you tube on too.
The Nintendo switch is more kid friendly, I would recommend getting that console instead. I would also recommend not getting the switch lite as if he wants to hook it up to the tv to play games with his friends like Mario party and mario Kart, he’d ideally want the original version.

The PS4 does have a lot of PG games but it’s games are more aimed at the adult audience ie Days Gone, God of War, Last of Us etc...
amarone8226/02/2020 08:19

I thought that Nintendo is more versatile.

I have both and would recommend Nintendo Switch at that age (at any age!), has loads of top rated family friendly games (Including Mario & Pokemon) and as it hasn't been out long so it will be fully supported by Nintendo for a long while yet.

Also if you get the standard Switch it has the advantage of being played on the TV or played hand held which is great when he is at a friends house.
Edited by: "Gormond" 26th Feb
For a 7 year old the Switch is the best choice. Being portable it will come in very handy during long car journeys or holidays and has some great games that he'll love such as Mario Kart.
Thanks to everyone! 😃
A big part of kids gaming is playing online, whether with friends or strangers. If he wants to play with his friends then check which consoles they are on, as some games are not cross platform compatible.

I would also have the conversation about strangers online.

One of my friends 10yr old son is on ps4. He makes his son create a private party whenever he's playing online, this means he's not part of game chat and strangers cant hear him and he cant hear them, but he can invite people he knows to the party.
I'd say ps4 personally. Nintendo games are more expensive for a much longer time. Also on ps4 some games (Fortnite being one) can be played without having to pay a monthly subscription to play online. I'm not 100% but I think to play online on switch you need to pay this additional fee.
Lots of good views as always.

PS4 will need a TV to play but also acts as media unit bluray/netflix etc whereas switch can play hand held or on TV does have youtube app.

Cost Nintendo stuff never cheap so if issue you can probably get decent deals on PS4 and cheap 2nd hand games for ps4 and has ps plus monthly game subsription.
Edited by: "ANDYwwww987" 26th Feb
Depends on the usage.
If your hubby wants a PS4 because he will also use it then that would be a sensible purchase. There are still plenty of younger games on the playstation, and so many you can buy for a few quid. You can even buy a softmod wii for peanuts.

If it was just for a young child then I would probably go switch. They can play it without a TV etc too. However, the cost of games etc will soon mount up on it.

Does he have a reason why he wants one? Has he played either at a friends etc. He may well want the same as somebody else.
widdac26/02/2020 10:17

I'd say ps4 personally. Nintendo games are more expensive for a much …I'd say ps4 personally. Nintendo games are more expensive for a much longer time. Also on ps4 some games (Fortnite being one) can be played without having to pay a monthly subscription to play online. I'm not 100% but I think to play online on switch you need to pay this additional fee.

Fortnite is free on switch even without Nintendo online, but the vast majority of other online games require the subscription.
Yeah I'm lucky to have both and would definitely say Switch for a 7yr old
Edited by: "SteveSteveSteveSteveSteve" 26th Feb
@amarone82 Xbox has 3 of the most popular kids games in Happy Wars, Minecraft and Roblox.

Happy Wars and Roblox are not available on the PS4 or Switch. Minecraft is on PS4 and Switch but it is owned by Microsoft/Xbox and runs better on their platform. Xbox also has Game Pass which is the Netflix of gaming and means you never have to buy a game.

Saying that I do believe every child should grow up with Nintendo but Xbox should be considered better than a PS4 for the reasons above.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants