Nintendo Switch technical/cable help?

Posted 13th Jan
Morning all,

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch and it's excellent, but I have one query and I'm wondering if i'm missing something before I spend another £20 on it...

I have the docking station alongside the TV, but my ordered a small adaptor from Amazon (this one) to connect to TVs when he's in hotels/other peoples houses etc.

I already own a MacBook, for which I bought a USB-C to HDMI adaptor (this one) to and I presumed this would do the same job, however I don't seem to be able to make it work.

Just wondered if this is something that is impossible (maybe there's some other tech in the one my mate has that my one doesn't have, and just order the other Amazon Adaptor, or if i'm missing something stupid?!

All advice much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
You need a compatible Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by your Switch power adapter.
39664495-n7Nsj.jpg
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Jan
RiverDragon813/01/2020 12:10

You need a Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by your Switch …You need a Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by your Switch power adapter.[Image]

So that's the one my mate has, mine is just the adaptor without power source, i'm thought that was the only difference.

Just don't quite understand what the actual difference is! Or what the powered thing does.
You need a compatible Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by yourSwitch power adapter.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Jan
RiverDragon813/01/2020 12:21

You need a compatible Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by …You need a compatible Type C Hub Adapter for the Switch that powered by your Switch power adapter.

Okay, seems like question answered, thanks @RiverDragon8
The Switch dock doesn't use a standard method of anything, there were a lot of 3rd-party solutions that caused Switchs to stop working entirely a few years ago. But if you use an official Nintendo power supply it should be OK.
jon81uk13/01/2020 12:27

The Switch dock doesn't use a standard method of anything, there were a …The Switch dock doesn't use a standard method of anything, there were a lot of 3rd-party solutions that caused Switchs to stop working entirely a few years ago. But if you use an official Nintendo power supply it should be OK.

I wasn't planning on using an official Nintendo mains plug (which I would leave at home), just a cheap 3rd party USB-C charger I could pick up off Amazon, as well as the adaptor above?
LeeTheRed9613/01/2020 12:29

I wasn't planning on using an official Nintendo mains plug (which I would …I wasn't planning on using an official Nintendo mains plug (which I would leave at home), just a cheap 3rd party USB-C charger I could pick up off Amazon, as well as the adaptor above?

If it is USB-A to USB-C you will be fine as it drawers a lower power. But some high-power USB-C stuff doesn't work with Nintendo Switch and there has in the past been reports of problems with unofficial docks with unofficial power supplies causing the Switch to die.
jon81uk13/01/2020 12:35

If it is USB-A to USB-C you will be fine as it drawers a lower power. But …If it is USB-A to USB-C you will be fine as it drawers a lower power. But some high-power USB-C stuff doesn't work with Nintendo Switch and there has in the past been reports of problems with unofficial docks with unofficial power supplies causing the Switch to die.

Something like this? (using any wall plug I have in the house)

amazon.co.uk/Cha…8-3
LeeTheRed9613/01/2020 12:40

Something like this? (using any wall plug I have in the …Something like this? (using any wall plug I have in the house)https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-WODSAN-Braided-Multiple-Connector-Black/dp/B07RZYKJLL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+a+to+c+charger&qid=1578919114&sr=8-3

Yeah that should be fine. I charge my Switch when out the house using an Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C cable fine. It is just the high-power USB-C stuff (like a MacBook charger) that might be problematic.
jon81uk13/01/2020 13:34

Yeah that should be fine. I charge my Switch when out the house using an …Yeah that should be fine. I charge my Switch when out the house using an Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C cable fine. It is just the high-power USB-C stuff (like a MacBook charger) that might be problematic.

Great advice mate, really appreciate it especially as i'm new to the Switch.

Basically, my TV is fully integrated so no cables, boxes etc in the same room, so the switch docking station would need to be cabled in. This isn't a massive deal, but my missus has a flat with a TV unit, so it works better there. On the occasions we use on the TV in mine, I can use this solution.

Also, I travel a little, so means I can play stuff on the big screen rather than the little to pass the time. Will use the apple watch wall plug when travelling as the prongs fold away so easier to pack.
Edited by: "LeeTheRed96" 13th Jan
I don't believe it's anything to do with the power supply.

The primary reason seems to be that the switch isn't using the same way to get video out of a USB port. Your macbook does it using a feature of the Type C connector called DisplayPort alternate mode (or Thunderbolt 3, which is compatible).

The Switch appears to use an older standard originally designed for the MicroUSB connector that wasn't widely adopted known variously as Mobility DisplayPort, MyDP and SlimPort.

I don't know the technical details as to why the two don't interoperate but I'd suspect they're wired up differently, and the protocol may be slightly different too (even through they're both DisplayPort based).
You need to use an ac adapter which is the specification the Switch requires. Else it won't output to tv.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants