nintendo switch usb charger?

Found 3rd Mar 2017
So i got my Nintendo switch today (YAHOO) i also got the pro controller which contains a usb C cable which i can use to charge on the go, but a friend pointed out that you need a good quality plug one that has 15volts??
I was thinking an ipad charger would do the job surely? Any one have some advice on the case?
I dont wanna blow the console up, but i dont wanna spend £30 just on an extra plug!! Thanks

9 Comments

Original Poster

Maverick77

Article about charging on the go Hope this helps some.

Yeah reading that though it doesn't explain which one is the best option??? Im guessing that the mac book charger is the best???

I've just been to Asda and bought a 3DS power supply for £5. It has a USB port and so ideal for the switch. USB-B to C converters are only a couple of quid on Amazon.

Theres a few options. Power banks work. Also charger blocks from people like Anker.

Have a read of this.....nintendolife.com/for…ons

Original Poster

MrSpooniverse

I've just been to Asda and bought a 3DS power supply for £5. It has a USB … I've just been to Asda and bought a 3DS power supply for £5. It has a USB port and so ideal for the switch. USB-B to C converters are only a couple of quid on Amazon.

Mmm what volt does it charge tho? Bit sceptical if that one "/

amazon.co.uk/300…3FQ I bought this for my switch and used it yesterday in sleep mode and while playing and so far so good. no problems with connection and seems to works very well.

Unfortunately USB power supplies are rather a mess with lots of hardware makers such as Apple and Qualcomm ignoring the power supply standards developed alongside the main USB standard in favour of their own that are only partially compatible. It's made ten times as confusing by the large numbers of manufacturers and sellers that don't list what they do support.

Nintendo seem to have opted to support the standard USB Power Delivery specification. The rating system on that works such that any wattage equal or higher provides the required voltages and currents. So any USB-PD compliant charger (or battery) providing the same 39W as the switch's or a larger wattage will work fine.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding downwards compatibility but in practice it appears as if the switch will also charge (albeit more slowly) from a standard 5V USB connection.

An iPad charger is a much lower wattage and if it's an Apple original then it'll only support Apple's proprietary extensions. It'll probably work as a trickle charger using the base USB power but don't expect anything more for any non-Apple device.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Unfortunately USB power supplies are rather a mess with lots of hardware … Unfortunately USB power supplies are rather a mess with lots of hardware makers such as Apple and Qualcomm ignoring the power supply standards developed alongside the main USB standard in favour of their own that are only partially compatible. It's made ten times as confusing by the large numbers of manufacturers and sellers that don't list what they do support.Nintendo seem to have opted to support the standard USB Power Delivery specification. The rating system on that works such that any wattage equal or higher provides the required voltages and currents. So any USB-PD compliant charger (or battery) providing the same 39W as the switch's or a larger wattage will work fine.I'm not sure what the rules are regarding downwards compatibility but in practice it appears as if the switch will also charge (albeit more slowly) from a standard 5V USB connection. An iPad charger is a much lower wattage and if it's an Apple original then it'll only support Apple's proprietary extensions. It'll probably work as a trickle charger using the base USB power but don't expect anything more for any non-Apple device.

Amazing thank you
I was using a quality 5v usb charger earlier with the pro controller usb c cable and it was charging fine even playing BOTW (all be it not very fast) also the plug was quite hot not cooking but deffo on the hotter side "/

I used my official Samsung Quick Charger [5V 2.1A] today whilst playing Zelda on full brightness and it charged the console fully.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants