Found 25th Mar 2010
Has anyone else had their Nintendo wii suddenly start whizzing loudly and unable to read discs? We haven't had it long and it's been very well looked after. What's gone wrong and is it easily sorted. It's so frustrating, I've just bought Just Dance as well. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

9 Comments

Our one can make occasional whizzing noise but still reading discs ok. Sorry if this sounds bit basic, but have you tried cleaning the disc?

Original Poster

tinkers;8204354

Our one can make occasional whizzing noise but still reading discs ok. … Our one can make occasional whizzing noise but still reading discs ok. Sorry if this sounds bit basic, but have you tried cleaning the disc?

Hi, yes I have, the disc looks spotless. It is only playing up on some of the discs I put in but we bought a new Tiger Woods golf one and that wouldn't work either so i'n not sure what to do now. The ones it is choosing to play, it plays perfectly, no whizzing.

Take it back to the shop.

Might be a silly question but has anyone tried to put a game in it while theres already been a disc in there ... i ask because i have fixed 2 wii's where that has happened and what it does is bends a bit of metal at the front of the cd loader inside .. the whizzing noise was because the discs cant spin and so cant read the disc ... once i bent back the bit of metal inside they were fine ....

Original Poster

Budgie2k7;8204499

Might be a silly question but has anyone tried to put a game in it while … Might be a silly question but has anyone tried to put a game in it while theres already been a disc in there ... i ask because i have fixed 2 wii's where that has happened and what it does is bends a bit of metal at the front of the cd loader inside .. the whizzing noise was because the discs cant spin and so cant read the disc ... once i bent back the bit of metal inside they were fine ....

Hi Budgie
Thanks for your message, and what you said made alot of sense because I have a two year old and it is very likely he has tried this while my backs been turned. Do you think I can fix it myself? I'm so grateful that you have shred some light on this problem.

Original Poster

I am now going away for the weekend, so please don't think I'm being rude when I do not reply. I'll be back monday.

Over the last six years every single Mac we have used in the office has made stupid whizzing noises. It must be something to do with the vertical nature of the drives.

Budgie2k7;8204499

Might be a silly question but has anyone tried to put a game in it while … Might be a silly question but has anyone tried to put a game in it while theres already been a disc in there ... i ask because i have fixed 2 wii's where that has happened and what it does is bends a bit of metal at the front of the cd loader inside .. the whizzing noise was because the discs cant spin and so cant read the disc ... once i bent back the bit of metal inside they were fine ....

All very familiar to me - my Wii started doing the same, and when the discs were ejected they'd have scuff marks on them. Ended up sended it to the Nintendo repair team - it was only away for ten days...cost me £28 but that's only because it was out of warranty. If it's still in warranty they'll normally repeair it for free - you'll just need to stump up to send it.

But then if it's in warranty still, I'd consider taking it back to the shop. If the shop offer to have it fixed, I'd be tempted to tell thm to jog on and send it to Ninty yourself - when it comes back it'll have another year of warranty on it courtesy of Ninty...

Original Poster

SirBargainsALot;8213528

All very familiar to me - my Wii started doing the same, and when the … All very familiar to me - my Wii started doing the same, and when the discs were ejected they'd have scuff marks on them. Ended up sended it to the Nintendo repair team - it was only away for ten days...cost me £28 but that's only because it was out of warranty. If it's still in warranty they'll normally repeair it for free - you'll just need to stump up to send it. But then if it's in warranty still, I'd consider taking it back to the shop. If the shop offer to have it fixed, I'd be tempted to tell thm to jog on and send it to Ninty yourself - when it comes back it'll have another year of warranty on it courtesy of Ninty...

Thanks for your input, it's actually just out of warranty so I will probably have to pay £28 but I would rather do that than go without the wii. i will contact Nintendo tomorrow
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. EA shuts down Visceral Games.45
    2. Misco about to go into administration911
    3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564104
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769249

See more discussions