Found 17th Jun 2007
I had the oppertunity to play the Nintendo Wii at a friends house. I'd say i've played it for about 5 hours over 2 days and i can honestly say it's really not all it's cracked up to be.

I was going to do a review on it, but i'll just write a little bit instead, because i've not got too many positive things to say about it.

About the consoles..;It looks nice and small , but it just feels cheap. Cheap plastic, cheapest l.e.d lights, then the gimicky controls which are definately not what i thought they'd be. I'm sorry to offend anyone but it just wasn't a fun experience like it's cracked up to be. I found that on the Wii Sports Golf game, the game would throw a wobbler if you curled the Wii remote like you'd do with a golf club. It was sensitive but not clever and sensitive and as far as i can say, i think it's selling purely because it's the cheapest console and it's got the Wii remotes which people expect alot from.

The graphics were pretty cruel on the eyes too. My mate has Twilight Princess , the latest Zelda game. Apart from Link (the main character), the graphics look identical to the N64 game 'Ocarina Of Time'. Nintendo claim that gameplay is wanted more than graphics but i'm afraid that the Wii is going to crumble when developers keep bringing out stripped down versions of games for the Wii, for the simple reason it cant handle the full game e.g Resident Evil -Wii Edition. Back to Twilight Princess, i thought that the game was repetative and the Wii controls really didn't help, infact, aiming at something with the Wii remote is not a simple task.

Overall, i'd give the Wii Console 5/10 and the Zelda game 6/10. Really bad let-down. I've owned alot of Nintendo consoles, but don't think they've got the formula right this time.

42 Comments

Can I ask if you lost on wii sports?

Sloth/Mod

I disagree on all points. Especially the N64 graphics.

Syzable

I disagree on all points. Especially the N64 graphics.

Agreed

I really like the Nintendo Wii, Found the controls a little oversensitive (You need a slight nudge to get the full power bar in golf!)

But its a great console and I think its got great graphics to!

If you could set the sensitivity of the controls it would be better.

seancampbell

Can I ask if you lost on wii sports?

I am actually awesome at baseball :-D

at last some body who speaks the truth about the wii. its great for about 5 mins then the novelty quickly wears off.
the graphics are horrible and only bowling on wii sports offers any lasting fun and thats when theres a group of drunken guys all playing for cash.
its a console designed for 7 year olds and chicks who hate playing normal consoles and pc games.
the wario mini game thing is embarrassing, sweeping the floor and answering a telephone is not fun in anybodys book.
it'll keep the wife/girlfriend and small kids happy but i'd even get a ps2 before ever getting a wii.

Iom-RF

If you could set the sensitivity of the controls it would be better.

um...you can...im certain you can

edit: yup, in wii settings, then sensor bar, then you can adjust sensitivity there

shanecr

um...you can...im certain you canedit: yup, in wii settings, then sensor … um...you can...im certain you canedit: yup, in wii settings, then sensor bar, then you can adjust sensitivity there

Ah right, I didn't realise that!, The Wii is great then

Only had a couple of hours play on my brothers, Should be better with the sensitivity lower :thumbsup:

Do they do weighted controllers?, Nintendo could do a whole exercise franchise to!!

But for the price they are quite good.

Saw one on Ebay earlier, with 10 games for £205 plus postage (item 190123831622). Now compare that to a PS3 with 10 games and we looking at a lot more.

Anyone got any comments on the above offer? Legit?

Sloth/Mod

Ponty Boy

But for the price they are quite good. Saw one on Ebay earlier, with 10 … But for the price they are quite good. Saw one on Ebay earlier, with 10 games for £205 plus postage (item 190123831622). Now compare that to a PS3 with 10 games and we looking at a lot more. Anyone got any comments on the above offer? Legit?

Wouldn't touch it, no mention of whether the games are genuine, most of his listing is copied from Amazon and no PAYPAL so no protection. :thumbsup:

Ponty Boy

But for the price they are quite good. Saw one on Ebay earlier, with 10 … But for the price they are quite good. Saw one on Ebay earlier, with 10 games for £205 plus postage (item 190123831622). Now compare that to a PS3 with 10 games and we looking at a lot more. Anyone got any comments on the above offer? Legit?

i sold my wii for £207 without nothing and it wasnt even sealed and it was only 1 month ago. wow prices have gone down.

Iom-RF

Ah right, I didn't realise that!, The Wii is great then Only had a … Ah right, I didn't realise that!, The Wii is great then Only had a couple of hours play on my brothers, Should be better with the sensitivity lower :thumbsup: Do they do weighted controllers?, Nintendo could do a whole exercise franchise to!!

hmmm weighted controllers would be good. they are a touch light. i love playing tennis, i really get into it and work up a sweat. its great for a bit of simple exercise

Original Poster

didn't mean to offend anyone :oops: but its just the way i feel.

about the graphics:

Ocarina on N64:
http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/35/11/128611.jpeg

Twilight Princess on Wii:
http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/wp-content/screenshots/zelda/11.png

graphics are without a doubt better, but not a huge improvement.

I mean, if we're gonna compare graphics from N64 and PS1 times to Wii and Ps3 times, check this:

Final Fantasy 7 on PS1:
http://www.gamethink.net/IMG/jpg/playstation_Final_Fantasy_VII-Combat.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII on PS3:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/263/928790_20060926_screen002.jpg

and i've had almost every console from the sega megadrive, sega-cd, sega saturn, snes, nes, gb pocket, gb colour, n64, ps1, dreamcast, gamecube, ps2, xbox, and now ps3....so i'm not against nintendo but it just seems to me like every Zelda game imparticular seems the same as the last with 'slightly' better graphics...

and i didn't lose at Wii sports....well, ok, i lost at golf, but i won on tenis!

im scooting out the thread before i cause more offense!

Sloth/Mod

Not offended at all mate, all just healthy debate. That's what the competition is there for......to cater to everyones taste. :thumbsup:

The one and only time I've played on one was when me and a few other people were pissed. It was a good laugh but I couldn't see me wanting to sit there sober and play on it!

Tottally off topic but I just about wet myself with excitment at the FFXIII I soooooooooo want that game!

Sloth/Mod

jennybubbles

Tottally off topic but I just about wet myself with excitment at the … Tottally off topic but I just about wet myself with excitment at the FFXIII I soooooooooo want that game!

Thought you'd gone to bed MRS. :x :giggle:

I was going then saw that pic when I was flicking hrough the thread so had to read ih :giggle:

I admit that I've never played the Wii, and don't really have any inclination to, but the impression that I get is that it is only really aimed at kids (12 and lower), due to the games that are being advertised for it.

Whereas the 360 (which I have) in comparison seems to be more focused on teens 16+ and adults.

I have all three next gen consoles. I play the Wii most, then my xbox 360 then PS3 but only because am hooked on Zelda at the mo and also older gamecube games

Although i must admit, i do see your point about the disappointment in the Wii. However, am sure theres more great games to come out yet.

oh also, excite trucks is awesome when you play it on a 42" plasma through a component cable. :thumbsup:

Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and a 42" plasma!!

Lend us a tenner ya rich git! :lol:

Iom-RF

Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and a 42" plasma!!Lend us a tenner ya rich git! :lol:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Hmm, not really fair to compare Wii graphics to PS3 - Different target market.

People will buy which ever suits them!

Original Poster

everyones made a fair good point so far. All i was saying about the Zelda graphics is that the ground seems grainy on the game?

Either way, i'll probably try out some more games on my friends, doubt i'd buy it though...(just bought a HD TV after seeing a deal on here, im skint!)

if you bought a hdtv, get a componant cable otherwise the picture is slightly dodgy via the wii standard cable.
i bought one, and i love the wii on my 42" plasma. i also have a 360 but i dont play it at all. Although i will when Gta4 gets here!! :w00t:

shanecr

if you bought a hdtv, get a componant cable otherwise the picture is … if you bought a hdtv, get a componant cable otherwise the picture is slightly dodgy via the wii standard cable. i bought one, and i love the wii on my 42" plasma. i also have a 360 but i dont play it at all. Although i will when Gta4 gets here!! :w00t:

100% agree, try the component cable, I noticed a huge difference!

If you still don't like it, you're all about the graphics :thumbsup:

Sloth/Mod

I'm still aiming for that perfect game in bowling more than 6 months on. :lol:

I haven't tried bowling much, loving the baseball + tennis

Syzable

I'm still aiming for that perfect game in bowling more than 6 months on. … I'm still aiming for that perfect game in bowling more than 6 months on. :lol:

Heh, snap. Only managed a paltry 237 though.

Sloth/Mod

thecyclops

Heh, snap. Only managed a paltry 237 though.

268 is my best so far and my 2 and a half year old has managed 202. :?

The 300 game isn't all its cracked up to be!

I played bowling all the time but have hardly played at all since bowling the perfect game.

I've kept a picture of it on my phone just to p*** my wife off who is consistently better than me apart from that one game :thumbsup:

I had a wii and swapped it for a 360 as i thought that would be more my thing and i was right... however i have to say the wii was good fun and i will probably end up getting another one at some point in the future

The Wii is different, end of. Wii Sports is great family/girlfriend fun and games like Godfather are miles better on Wii. Graphics? Not a problem - they do the job. This isn't virtual reality, I want a quick release from the everyday grind. If you want super-duper up-to-date visuals then buy a PC. PS3 will look dated next to a high-end PC soon enough.

I buy games, I play them and enjoy them (or don't). Who cares if my dad is bigger than yours?

Syzable

268 is my best so far and my 2 and a half year old has managed 202. :?

The Game store in Glasgow had a Wii Bowling competition during the weekend.

268 I think would have got you first prize which was 3 games of your choice.

Sloth/Mod

Toybhoy

The Game store in Glasgow had a Wii Bowling competition during the … The Game store in Glasgow had a Wii Bowling competition during the weekend. 268 I think would have got you first prize which was 3 games of your choice.

Nooooooooo, i wish they had that here. Might enter the little dude next year on Britains Got Talent for his ability with a Wii Remote. :-D

Syzable

Nooooooooo, i wish they had that here. Might enter the little dude next … Nooooooooo, i wish they had that here. Might enter the little dude next year on Britains Got Talent for his ability with a Wii Remote. :-D

Speaking of which, i dont think Harry Kewell got far in that talent show

Original Poster

greenfeld

If you want super-duper up-to-date visuals then buy a PC. PS3 will … If you want super-duper up-to-date visuals then buy a PC. PS3 will look dated next to a high-end PC soon enough.

Not fair at all, if we're going to be like that then the Wii is SEVERELY out-dated already and the 360 is out-dated in terms of graphics. The PS3 is a great deal for the graphical power in it. It has a great processor, i think it's 4.2ghz and the ram is 2gb. The visuals are great and you'd pay MUCH MUCH more for a PC of the same spec

I think that the majority of people nowadays get lost in all the hype with super dooper realism and the like. If you are saying that the Wii graphics are rubbish then for me you are not a gamer. Not a real one anyway.

Unfortunately the spin machine has hit the kids of today and unless a game looks better than the last, well in most teenagers eyes (and some fully grown adults too!) its not worth buying (Read "Oooh Fifa 200x, look at x player, he looks sooooo real. Better buy that then Pro Evo") When with out question Pro Evo is the better game at its core.

Its not about graphics, its about playablility, and for me longevity. Games are too expensive today to pick up and play for 5 mins only to never return to it again. Gears of War looked nice, but from a gameplay point of view was not a patch on Call Of Duty 2 on Veteran, or COD2 over Xbox Live for example. Speaking of XBLive, I've played more Geometry Wars Evolved than anything else. Looks pants (compared to other games) plays like a deamon unlike the next gen Farcry, Perfect Dark Zero, Genji etc etc.

I have a 360, Wii, PS3, Megadrive, Master System, Saturn, N64, PC Engine etc etc etc and they all get played. I dont sit there thinking "Oh this Master System game's graphics are shite compared to the PS3" or "Oh look, Zelda looks just like it did on the N64". I sit there thinking "Damn this is a good game" regardless of its visuals. Damn, I play Elite once a week and that looks terrible compared to anything else really.

For me, and it really is all about personal opinion, the Wii controls are the best thing to happen to gaming in a long while. It makes you think about how you interact with the games, and in time this will only get more intuative.

Im dissapointed in the PS3, not for the quality of the machine, but for the amount of time Sony are taking to release anything. Period.

Anyway, opinion over. Who cases what a games looks like. If I can get £20 hours out of a game and it cost me £40 then im happy. Where else can you get enjoyment for £2 an hour? You cant.

I loved Wario Ware, a bit frustrating at times, but the graphics were stunning, looked like a real cartoon, shame it had no 2 player.

I dont like the Wii mote for some games, I prefer the classic controller, great it I had a choice of using both.

For RPGS id prefer the PS2 pad over all, then the Saturn pad is great, and the Snes and Megadrive 6 button pad.

I like a controller to be small, and I prefer wired etc.

I would love Super Mario 64 on Wii(isnt it on the VC) with Wii controls.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Hottest deals side bar was far better before22
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769323
    3. Xbox Code Giveaway - fastest finger first22
    4. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1113

See more discussions