Nissan Qashqai

Found 28th Nov 2012
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel (09 Plate). It has got 90,000 miles on the clock. I am bit worried about the miles. How good are Qashqai diesel engines with high miles? Any potential problems? I cover only 5 to 6k annually.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Nissan
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Nissan
23 Comments

Banned

DLA drivers love these , is it one ?

1. Why get a diesel then with only that amount of mileage ?

2. Should be OK as long as its got a FSH

3. Make sure its an N-Tec or Tekna variant or don't bother

It should be the dci diesel on that car and the Turbos are weak. I personally would not buy another car with a Renault dci engine because even if they are serviced as per the recommendations they are prone to serious failure. My 05 plate car with 95k miles was worth 350 after the engine failure. Replacement was worth more than the market value of the car.
If you must have one of these cars, get a petrol version

whatsThePoint

any modern diesel engine should be good for 500k, its the rest of it you … any modern diesel engine should be good for 500k, its the rest of it you need to worry about

Should being the word there......

Qashqais are rated highly on the Which report. I am planning on one for my next car, but would look for something with less than 30,000 miles, just to satisfy my own worrying self. Remember you need to be looking for cam belt changes and clutch at this sort of mileage, make sure these things have been done.

Original Poster

ChrisUK

1. Why get a diesel then with only that amount of mileage ?cause it's a … 1. Why get a diesel then with only that amount of mileage ?cause it's a 09 plate and I think I am getting it for a good price (6k+) :-)2. Should be OK as long as its got a FSHYes it has FSH as it was owned by a company before.3. Make sure its an N-Tec or Tekna variant or don't bother

unfortunately it's a Acenta, May I know why it has to be a N-Tec or Tekna?

mallipeddi

unfortunately it's a Acenta, May I know why it has to be a N-Tec or Tekna?

They are the trim levels, the Acenta being the lower end I believe, saying that by the looks of things they look pretty well specced, not sure why he put that tbh.
Edited by: "aircanman" 28th Nov 2012

you are not doing enough miles, DPF (diesel partical filter) will end up stuffed, just google for full information

Original Poster

aircanman

Should being the word there......Qashqais are rated highly on the Which … Should being the word there......Qashqais are rated highly on the Which report. I am planning on one for my next car, but would look for something with less than 30,000 miles, just to satisfy my own worrying self. Remember you need to be looking for cam belt changes and clutch at this sort of mileage, make sure these things have been done.

cambelt is done at around 76k, not sure about clutch though..

whatsThePoint

at the end of the day it all depends who's owned it before you, i'd have … at the end of the day it all depends who's owned it before you, i'd have more faith in a car thats done 90k motorway miles than one which has done 30k around town

Course, but that is the problem, some people look after their cars, some just them as tools and hammer them.

myHedgehog

you are not doing enough miles, DPF (diesel partical filter) will end up … you are not doing enough miles, DPF (diesel partical filter) will end up stuffed, just google for full information

Maybe who is not doing enough miles? Help us out.

Original Poster

myHedgehog

you are not doing enough miles, DPF (diesel partical filter) will end up … you are not doing enough miles, DPF (diesel partical filter) will end up stuffed, just google for full information

Very true, I reckon, 2010 on Qashqai's have DPF filters, not sure about earlier models.

dpf will always be a problem on low miles i agree hedgehog my brother has garage near here and he sees them at least once a month new or second hand he says worst cars he ever sold

aircanman

They are the trim levels, the Acenta being the lower end I believe, … They are the trim levels, the Acenta being the lower end I believe, saying that by the looks of things they look pretty well specced, not sure why he put that tbh.

Visia is the lowest, Acenta is the next one up and has a decent spec (alloys, dual zone climate, auto lights + wipers etc..)
I'd avoid the diesel if you just do short trips as the DPF will need regenerating.

dual zone control is another thing constanly going wrong with them he tells me worst thing ever best with individual controls heater matrix is a big worry on them with dual zone and that costs a fortune to remedy

bassman_uk

It should be the dci diesel on that car and the Turbos are weak. I … It should be the dci diesel on that car and the Turbos are weak. I personally would not buy another car with a Renault dci engine because even if they are serviced as per the recommendations they are prone to serious failure. My 05 plate car with 95k miles was worth 350 after the engine failure. Replacement was worth more than the market value of the car.If you must have one of these cars, get a petrol version

Wasn't that a 1.9? It is an entirely different engine to the 1.5.

singer

dpf will always be a problem on low miles i agree hedgehog my brother … dpf will always be a problem on low miles i agree hedgehog my brother has garage near here and he sees them at least once a month new or second hand he says worst cars he ever sold

Dpf/faps do not fail due to low mileage, they fail due to low speed driving too frequently. A car which does a very low mileage but mainly goes on the motorway will not have any problems.

Banned

Your biggest worry is not the 90000 miles, but are they true? Lots of garages sells clocked cars as there are no way to check for real mileage for 3 year old car.It might has been company car or one on lease. These can do 50 000 miles a year easily.
90000 true miles is nothing for diesel, but have heard that Nissan Qashqai are not reliable.

bassman_uk

It should be the dci diesel on that car and the Turbos are weak. I … It should be the dci diesel on that car and the Turbos are weak. I personally would not buy another car with a Renault dci engine because even if they are serviced as per the recommendations they are prone to serious failure. My 05 plate car with 95k miles was worth 350 after the engine failure. Replacement was worth more than the market value of the car.If you must have one of these cars, get a petrol version

It's the EGR getting stuck that causes the turbo to fail in these engines.

Buying a 2-3 year old modern diesel might not be the bargain it seems - you should expect problems with DPFs and DMFs with modern diesels!

Banned

Qashqai with that mileage?

Hope you also have a cashcow

Original Poster

DPF was not installed on Qashqai's until late 2010 as far as I am aware of. As the one I am planning to buy is a early 2009 model, I think I am safe from DPF probs.
Edited by: "mallipeddi" 29th Nov 2012

Nissan went rapidly downhill when they got mixed up with Renault, shame they used to make great vehicles.

mallipeddi

DPF was not installed on Qashqai's until late 2010 as far as I am aware … DPF was not installed on Qashqai's until late 2010 as far as I am aware of. As the one I am planning to buy is a early 2009 model, I think I am safe from DPF probs.

I've got a 2007 2.0 diesel and its got a DPF.

Original Poster

Goonieman

I've got a 2007 2.0 diesel and its got a DPF.

I am after a 1.5 version. 1.5's before 2010 do not DPF's.
Post a comment
@
    Text