Nissan Qashqai DPF

Posted 28th Dec 2019
Hi, I have started to have issues with my Qashqai's DPF. I had it cleaned around 10 months ago but the lights have come on again. Anyone know any APPs to help monitor DPF Soot levels, etc. I downloaded Torque but can't see any DPF related features. The VAG DPF app doesn't seem to work as Nissan engines aren't covered.

Any Nissan Qashqai owners here who can share their experience and tips for staying on top of DPF issues?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the manufacturers have been able to eradicate the problem, despite various claims. The soot simply gets clogged from local driving as it doesn't burn it due to not being hot enough.

The solution is a simple one. Don't buy a diesel car for now especially if you are driving locally or in town a lot as any diesel with a DPF will just clog up. None of the treatments will work in all honesty and the amount spent on fixing the problem will be better spent on a little extra in fuel costs each week with a petrol.

If truth be told, DPF's, sensors, inaccurate or false MPG claims, the emissions scandal, high insurance premiums all point to one thing in the end; we were always better off walking everywhere. All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you just got in a car and drove the damn things without issues.

That's my tuppence worth.
jibs78628/12/2019 17:50

Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the …Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the manufacturers have been able to eradicate the problem, despite various claims. The soot simply gets clogged from local driving as it doesn't burn it due to not being hot enough.The solution is a simple one. Don't buy a diesel car for now especially if you are driving locally or in town a lot as any diesel with a DPF will just clog up. None of the treatments will work in all honesty and the amount spent on fixing the problem will be better spent on a little extra in fuel costs each week with a petrol.If truth be told, DPF's, sensors, inaccurate or false MPG claims, the emissions scandal, high insurance premiums all point to one thing in the end; we were always better off walking everywhere. All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you just got in a car and drove the damn things without issues.That's my tuppence worth.

What a ridiculous post. How is your 'simple solution' going to help the OP who already has a diesel car?
23 Comments
Not sure if this is the same on Nissan but on my Mazda 3, if the DPF light flashes it’s an oil quality indicator (source: Mazda Dealership Mechanic) to force you to use a dealer to change oil and reset the oil quality indicator.
What year is your NQ?
Had same problems year ago called to the service and got advise to go on motorway and speed up for about 20-30 miles it will clean up itself. Now I am not calling for service just do it by myself every time lights come up. Maybe you try.
As above. Have a look at Honest John, Daily Telegraph Motoring, or ask your question there.
Thanks neutech, bensan888 and JimboParrot

I've put Wynns DPF stuff from Halfords and have taken it for a long motorway drive in 4th gear around 50 to 60mph but not much help. I'll try getting the oil changed.

Any helpful Apps you guys know to monitor DPF health?
Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the manufacturers have been able to eradicate the problem, despite various claims. The soot simply gets clogged from local driving as it doesn't burn it due to not being hot enough.

The solution is a simple one. Don't buy a diesel car for now especially if you are driving locally or in town a lot as any diesel with a DPF will just clog up. None of the treatments will work in all honesty and the amount spent on fixing the problem will be better spent on a little extra in fuel costs each week with a petrol.

If truth be told, DPF's, sensors, inaccurate or false MPG claims, the emissions scandal, high insurance premiums all point to one thing in the end; we were always better off walking everywhere. All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you just got in a car and drove the damn things without issues.

That's my tuppence worth.
Iv got a Chevrolet Orlando - DPF issue. Asking for £1000 to sort out. My wife has a NQ 1.5 I hear there pretty good bring new and that.

Advice from RAC/AA: don’t use super market diesel. Use Shell and some other brand I forgot they mentioned. I also use the shell v-power once a month and give it a good drive down motorway (more expensive but helps clear it up so they say)

on my Chevrolet it’s so bad is doesn’t even auto regenerate. I had the RAC man giving it a good run down the dual carriage way and it was pointless. I tried using the Wynn Auto but that was pointless. I think once it gets to so bad like mine Nothing will work unless letting a professional person take a look. Overall cars are a nightmare.

It’s a money making scheme a real pointless part they added. I will be going petrol all the way or electric moving forward.
Do not put any "cleaners" in. It wont do anything. If it did, do you really think dpf cleaning companies would exist who charge up wards of 250 of a 5 quid bottle if dpf cleaner does the job? Think about it and dont waste your time nor money.

Also, there's 2 types of cleaning. One that will likely be a temp fix, which just cleans the soot. The other will clean the soot and vitally the carbon build up.

Also, never get fitted a aftermarket dpf. They are poorly made and wont last long. Always use genuine original one or a genuine used one if you are hard up.

When the light comes on, I'd advise to take it for a long blast. Sit at 50, 60 or 70mph for 15 or 20 mins solid.

If its not clearing and not auto regenerating, your next step is a force regen, which is what mechanics can do using a diagnostic machine. Only after that if the light comes on again then you consider replacing the dpf or getting it properly and professionally cleaned.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 28th Dec 2019

Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the …Hello. The DPF is a modern day tragedy on diesels as non of the manufacturers have been able to eradicate the problem, despite various claims. The soot simply gets clogged from local driving as it doesn't burn it due to not being hot enough.The solution is a simple one. Don't buy a diesel car for now especially if you are driving locally or in town a lot as any diesel with a DPF will just clog up. None of the treatments will work in all honesty and the amount spent on fixing the problem will be better spent on a little extra in fuel costs each week with a petrol.If truth be told, DPF's, sensors, inaccurate or false MPG claims, the emissions scandal, high insurance premiums all point to one thing in the end; we were always better off walking everywhere. All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you just got in a car and drove the damn things without issues.That's my tuppence worth.

What a ridiculous post. How is your 'simple solution' going to help the OP who already has a diesel car?
Black_Mamba28/12/2019 18:38

Iv got a Chevrolet Orlando - DPF issue. Asking for £1000 to sort out. My …Iv got a Chevrolet Orlando - DPF issue. Asking for £1000 to sort out. My wife has a NQ 1.5 I hear there pretty good bring new and that. Advice from RAC/AA: don’t use super market diesel. Use Shell and some other brand I forgot they mentioned. I also use the shell v-power once a month and give it a good drive down motorway (more expensive but helps clear it up so they say) on my Chevrolet it’s so bad is doesn’t even auto regenerate. I had the RAC man giving it a good run down the dual carriage way and it was pointless. I tried using the Wynn Auto but that was pointless. I think once it gets to so bad like mine Nothing will work unless letting a professional person take a look. Overall cars are a nightmare.It’s a money making scheme a real pointless part they added. I will be going petrol all the way or electric moving forward.

It isn't a money making part at all. It was introduced to fight emissions. If you buy a diesel to go to the shops and back every day you're asking for it and you clearly bought the wrong car.

Ive had diesels for 15 years now and have never had trouble with a dpf. My last car was a Q7 which had 2 DPFs.. Not a single problem in the 25k miles i did in it. Drive smarter.
As others have said, try a 15-20 run on the motorway at relatively high revs (3k+). I used to have to do it every 6 months or so in my Superb 2.0. It worked every time for me.
J4GG428/12/2019 19:00

It isn't a money making part at all. It was introduced to fight emissions. …It isn't a money making part at all. It was introduced to fight emissions. If you buy a diesel to go to the shops and back every day you're asking for it and you clearly bought the wrong car.Ive had diesels for 15 years now and have never had trouble with a dpf. My last car was a Q7 which had 2 DPFs.. Not a single problem in the 25k miles i did in it. Drive smarter.

Your absolutely correct, I bought diesel instead of petrol Which would be ideal for my type of journey. Ill advised (around people who think diesel is the best thing on earth) and not doing my ownresearch.

All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, …All the fun of plug and play cars has pretty much disappeared of the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you just got in a car and drove the damn things without issues.That's my tuppence worth.

Yeah, a seven year old Austin Allegro was so much more reliable.
EndlessWaves28/12/2019 19:28

I'd be dead impressed at a 2012/2013 Austin Allegro!
EndlessWaves28/12/2019 19:28

You jest, but I had one of these when I was a boy-racer in my 20s. I loved it, it was a cracking car

39525455-4IALM.jpg
Failure to regen is almost always because it isn't getting hot enough.

Common reasons for this are failure of the thermostat, failure of glow plugs/glow plug controller or clogged up egr valve. Plus of course not actually running the car enough.

Using good fuel and low saps oil always a good idea.

The biggest issue with dpf's is that so few mechanics actually understand how they work.
Thanks mas99. Some good info you shared. Unfortunately, to check when the car itself performed a regen, Pro Diagnostic equipment is required to check last regen, etc. CarScanner and Torque do not work but I understand PIDs can be added to retrieve some of the DPF related data from the ECU.
Give it an Italian tuneup
Make sure when it's in the process of doing a regeneration then try not to disturb it. Try to get on an open road. 3rd gear upto about 50mph is ideal. Basically you want the revs to be consistently around 3-4k rpm. Try not to drop below that. That will aid the regeneration and potentially speed up the process. When the light comes on it is usually an order to go do a regeneration ASAP. If it remains lit or fails to regenerate then there will likely be a fault of some sort. Often the pressure sensor or another sensor will be at fault. Lots of things can prevent a regeneration and must all be working correctly for it to work. However you can do a passive regeneration by going on a nice long run. Keep revs 3-4k rpm and it will help the dpf get nice and hot. Hopefully that will burn most the crap out.

2012 plate, lots of town driving doesn't bode well really. It will most probably be approaching the end of it's life. If it's got more than 100k on it then it may be worth thinking about having it removed and professionally cleaned. There are lots of companies that will clean them out for you. I'd avoid jet washing then out as that could damage them. I think it costs about £150. They usually give you a print out of before and after flow rates etc.

The most logical thing I would do is have it hooked up to a diagnostics machine, Check for faults and rectify them if you can. Some faults will possibly fix themselves after a successful regeneration etc but they may need clearing from the fault memory. Check the soot level. Then either do a forced regeneration via the diagnostic or a passive regeneration as I suggested earlier. Once a successful regeneration has been done then check the soot level again. Ideally it should be 35% or less. Anymore than that then consider having it removed and cleaned or having a new one etc..

Another thing to consider, other faults ie a faulty injector, egr or glow plug would cause the dpf to fill up more quickly than normal etc so make sure any faults are corrected before you fix the dpf or it will most certainly clogg up again etc..

Difference between passive and active is an active regeneration usually requires an additive to help raise the dpf temp. Most cars have a vapouriser fitted on the dpf. That basically contains a glow plug and an injector. The injector squirts some additive onto the glow plug which helps raise the dpf temperature higher so it can burn off the soot etc.. That additive is usually just diesel these days. A side effect from that is that if it fails to do a regeneration then that diesel/additive often finds its way into the sump which raises the engines oil level which can cause even more problems. Diesel tends to eat away the seals and basically dilutes the oil!

You can usually tell if it is doing an active regeneration as the revs at tick over will most likely be a little higher and the fans will most likely be running etc.. If it is doing one try and continue driving until it has finished. Allow 5 minutes or so of normal driving so it can cool down a little after etc..

Using most additives probably won't help at all, However raising the cetane level can in theory help as it can potentially reduce the combustion temperature of diesel so potentially burn off slightly easier etc.. You can apparently raise the cetane level a little using 2 EHN 2 Ethylhexyl Nitrate Cetane Enhancer. Much better than redex that contains very little 2 EHN Ethylhexyl Nitrate.

If you decide to have your dpf cleaned then it is far better to have it removed and cleaned professionally rather than using addives in situ. They're probably a waste of time. Even after regeneration their still remains Ash, that Ash will build up over time and the only way to get that out is via washing them out, either with chemicals or jet washing but the later is risky.

Hope that helps.
I've got one of these diagnostic tools

You can use various different diagnostic programs with it but it's frustrating to setup and use. However they seem to function with most cars. Ironically it won't trigger a regeneration on my own car but I've done many others.

70s cars?

Just get in them and drive them with no issues?
.MUFC.29/12/2019 13:34

I've got one of these diagnostic toolsYou can use various different …I've got one of these diagnostic toolsYou can use various different diagnostic programs with it but it's frustrating to setup and use. However they seem to function with most cars. Ironically it won't trigger a regeneration on my own car but I've done many others.

Thanks for sharing. I will read up on it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions