Nissan Qashqai Service

Posted 28th May
My 2016 Qasqai is due for a major service and this will cost approx £300 if i go to an authorised garage. Halfords offering £180 with MOT. Should I stick with the Nissan authorised garage?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Yes
£300 for a major service is reasonable price for this sort of car.
Check how they both define 'major' service - what are you getting for your money? Are they just padding things out with 'inspect'

I'd expect any service to include oil/oil filter/air filter.

What about fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, etc.

Will they do a code read?

Dealer might include software update, recall checks.

Personally I'd look for something in between, I'm no great fan of main dealers try and find a good local garage.

Quality of oil and filters does vary and I'd wonder if halfords are using cheapy stuff at that price.
Old saying.....you get what you pay for......yes I agree dealers are overpriced, but any comebacks after the service will I would expect be dealt with easier by the dealer than Halfords.
Ouch.
I took out a 5 year service plan with Peugeot £13.42 a month.
£805.20 in total, £161.04 a year.
So £300 will hurt.
I do not trust main dealers by the way.
As I now know they did not change cabin filters at 2 years old, Due to changing them myself 3 months and 500 miles later they were black. It now has upgraded hepa, atni bac filters. so If not changed will be easy to see.
Now on its 4th service in sep I have marked the air filter fuel filter etc and I am ready for WAR.
Had best part of £200 from Peugeot in compensation with help from financial ombudsman.
Will be looking for more in September.
mas9928/05/2020 11:19

Check how they both define 'major' service - what are you getting for your …Check how they both define 'major' service - what are you getting for your money? Are they just padding things out with 'inspect'I'd expect any service to include oil/oil filter/air filter.What about fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, etc.Will they do a code read?Dealer might include software update, recall checks.Personally I'd look for something in between, I'm no great fan of main dealers try and find a good local garage. Quality of oil and filters does vary and I'd wonder if halfords are using cheapy stuff at that price.

They use Eurocarparts stuff now.
bigwheels28/05/2020 11:25

They use Eurocarparts stuff now.

The own brand stuff? Thats often rubbish.
Never had a car serviced via a dealer after the warranty was over, a good independent will do the same job at a fraction of the price and you can ask them to put in decent parts and oil. Wouldn’t touch Halfords though. When you come to trade in your car the dealer won’t care to much where it’s serviced at, a private buyer might but as long as you have the receipts it will make very little difference.

any recalls you can check yourself and when we have had issues outside of warranty dealer and manufacturer still gave fixed them in the fourth year and one even in the fifth even though it wasn’t serviced by them.
Edited by: "eslick" 28th May
My Quashqai is due soon too. I’ve been dealer services up to now as it was on a pre pay plan. Now that it’s ended I’m going to take it to an independent ..... I wouldn’t use Halfords though ..... maybe ask friends and family for some recommendations ?
A good independent garage would be my first choice but if you don't know of one I'd pay the extra for the Nissan dealer. Wouldn't trust Halfords anywhere near my car.
How about kwik-fit? Or any other recommendations?
mas9928/05/2020 11:19

Check how they both define 'major' service - what are you getting for your …Check how they both define 'major' service - what are you getting for your money? Are they just padding things out with 'inspect'I'd expect any service to include oil/oil filter/air filter.What about fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, etc.Will they do a code read?Dealer might include software update, recall checks.Personally I'd look for something in between, I'm no great fan of main dealers try and find a good local garage. Quality of oil and filters does vary and I'd wonder if halfords are using cheapy stuff at that price.

I agree with this.

I had a row with audi years ago, put my s6 in for major service and cambelt change. Service cost was about £450 and when I went through the paperwork, it was effectively an oil change with filter and then rubbish like checking condition of brakes, door hinges lubricated, seatbelts checked etc.

They didn't even swap other filters or spark plugs until I argued with them. I guess I should of checked what they were going to do beforehand but I was quoted over the phone and I asked for a full service.

I have a local mechanic that does my services now, last couple times I purchased the parts, oil, filters etc. And gave to him to fit and change. Allows you to shop around for best prices on parts using discount codes available at the time.
Nissan offer one year RAC breakdown for all services
a666andy28/05/2020 12:06

I agree with this.I had a row with audi years ago, put my s6 in for major …I agree with this.I had a row with audi years ago, put my s6 in for major service and cambelt change. Service cost was about £450 and when I went through the paperwork, it was effectively an oil change with filter and then rubbish like checking condition of brakes, door hinges lubricated, seatbelts checked etc.They didn't even swap other filters or spark plugs until I argued with them. I guess I should of checked what they were going to do beforehand but I was quoted over the phone and I asked for a full service.I have a local mechanic that does my services now, last couple times I purchased the parts, oil, filters etc. And gave to him to fit and change. Allows you to shop around for best prices on parts using discount codes available at the time.

I agree.

Always look at the service book to see what needs to be changed and then check it has been changed. I personally would mark/sign/date the items that need to be changed (pollen filters/air filters/fuel filters etc).

Also check oil level once you get the car back. I had a nissan main dealer overfill my oil.
Might be worth using Nissan mate as they include free breakdown for the year as well
I get my Qashqai serviced on a plan with them - maybe just ring up and check the free breakdown is still included..
Checked servicing for my VW.

Annual service is £149 for and oil change and some checks.
Major service is £349 and as above but air filter change, plugs and more checks.

Air con service and brake fluid is extra.

My wife's Kia was £329 all in iirc for 3 years servicing (2 annual and 1 major).
Edited by: "u664541" 28th May
bigwheels28/05/2020 11:24

Ouch.I took out a 5 year service plan with Peugeot £13.42 a month.£805.20 i …Ouch.I took out a 5 year service plan with Peugeot £13.42 a month.£805.20 in total, £161.04 a year.So £300 will hurt.I do not trust main dealers by the way.As I now know they did not change cabin filters at 2 years old, Due to changing them myself 3 months and 500 miles later they were black. It now has upgraded hepa, atni bac filters. so If not changed will be easy to see.Now on its 4th service in sep I have marked the air filter fuel filter etc and I am ready for WAR.Had best part of £200 from Peugeot in compensation with help from financial ombudsman.Will be looking for more in September.

Could have been an activated carbon pollen filter
sohailh198428/05/2020 13:05

Might be worth using Nissan mate as they include free breakdown for the …Might be worth using Nissan mate as they include free breakdown for the year as wellI get my Qashqai serviced on a plan with them - maybe just ring up and check the free breakdown is still included..

My Nissan was serviced at the dealer in march and it still includes roadside cover....oh and I got a new updated map sd card given to me.
cliosport6528/05/2020 21:49

Could have been an activated carbon pollen filter Could have been an activated carbon pollen filter

No, bog standard white filter.
I now use the one above activated carbon.
FreciousPlusBiofunctional cabin filter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants