Nits - urgh! Advice please

47 replies
Found 21st Oct 2009
Daughter came home from school today, checked her hair and she had nits. Washed her hair and combed it with a nit come, only found about 15 or so. Some bigger than others. Will treat her hair with either Full Marks or Hedrin or something similar - any recommendations please? I will use something on my hair too, to be sure. Am thinking of using Full marks solution as I have eczema on my head, and I know Full Marks can be used if you have eczema. Thanks in advance!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
47 Comments

Banned

dont use anything, nit comb every night and every morning, this will elimate them all amd also stop her getting them again, carry on with this even after she is clear, do my sons night and day

when you have treated it plaster it in conditioner ...nits can't grip to silky hair.

A blowtoarch is useful in these situations :thumbsup:

Original Poster

queenlush;6647841

when you have treated it plaster it in conditioner ...nits can't grip to … when you have treated it plaster it in conditioner ...nits can't grip to silky hair.

Thanks, thats what we did. I am squeamish and I hate nits. I would rather just use something I think, also I cant really do my own hair

sassie;6647837

dont use anything, nit comb every night and every morning, this will … dont use anything, nit comb every night and every morning, this will elimate them all amd also stop her getting them again, carry on with this even after she is clear, do my sons night and day

+1

i no longer use anything from chemist, conditioner and plenty of it and time, be thorough and regular

hunchback;6647851

[COLOR="Blue"]:oyour poor children [/COLOR]

hunchback;6647851

lol then you just have to worry about the blisters

[COLOR="Red"]Shave all her hair off = problem solved.

/thread.[/COLOR]

sassie;6647837

dont use anything, nit comb every night and every morning, this will … dont use anything, nit comb every night and every morning, this will elimate them all amd also stop her getting them again, carry on with this even after she is clear, do my sons night and day

+1

as sassie says - do hair every 2 days for a fortnight - kill of the lifecycle

if all the mums/dads would do this it would eradicate it - but you do get the ones who dont bother - shoot them!!

wouldnt go putting chemicals on their scalps

and keep her hair tied up for school if you can

in my experience the full marks etc never seemed to work i would say just keep doing her hair for the next 2 weeks thick in conditioner everyday i know its a pain but its the only way you will know for definate they will be gone, also vinegar works but it not very nice.

Banned

loupomm;6647865

+1 i no longer use anything from chemist, conditioner and plenty of it … +1 i no longer use anything from chemist, conditioner and plenty of it and time, be thorough and regular

you would not believe how many people waste their money on this and then say the following week they got them again, errrr no you never got rid of them in the first place:roll:

bargainhunter2009;6647863

Thanks, thats what we did. I am squeamish and I hate nits. I would rather … Thanks, thats what we did. I am squeamish and I hate nits. I would rather just use something I think, also I cant really do my own hair

Australian tea tree oil is supposed to deter nits too

Banned

why is it the mention of nits makes ones head itch

hncb0809;6647906

why is it the mention of nits makes ones head itch

:-D it does doesn't it

we had these about a week ago... think it's the whole " back to school" thing.

conditioner and a GOOD nit comb xx

hedrin is the one i would use. my daughter always seemed to pick up headlice and hedrin was the only product i found that worked. i know the reccommendation is just combing and conditioning. but i always used the hedrin first to get rid of as many critters as possible and then continuously comb through with one of those metal combs

where did nitty nora the hair explorer go? memories of her tugging my hair around at primary school. did anybody else have similar experiences?

Original Poster

We were using a rubbish plastic comb earlier, should we use a metal comb instead of full marks then?

years ago they used to crack the eggs in between their finger nails one by one ...eeeeew

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6647923

Yup it's because people give it one blast and think it's done then don't … Yup it's because people give it one blast and think it's done then don't do it again a week later which you should.Depends on longer hair I prefer using something like fm, I find it easier, short hair is ok without.

Have you used full marks tinks? Thats what I wanted to get and would do it this week and next again

Banned

tinkerbell28;6647923

Yup it's because people give it one blast and think it's done then don't … Yup it's because people give it one blast and think it's done then don't do it again a week later which you should.Depends on longer hair I prefer using something like fm, I find it easier, short hair is ok without.

yes i know, i agve up trying to tell them, they also keep havng to bring out new ones become the nits become resiliant to them, but it doesnt stop people splashing out on them - lol

Banned

axapta55;6647930

hedrin is the one i would use. my daughter always seemed to pick up … hedrin is the one i would use. my daughter always seemed to pick up headlice and hedrin was the only product i found that worked. i know the reccommendation is just combing and conditioning. but i always used the hedrin first to get rid of as many critters as possible and then continuously comb through with one of those metal combswhere did nitty nora the hair explorer go? memories of her tugging my hair around at primary school. did anybody else have similar experiences?

but the combing through gets rids of them, i dont understand if you are doing the combing why you need anything else:?

Cut the infected head off and replace with a new one is the easiest way to deal with nits

http://www.mooncostumes.com/image/15267

bargainhunter2009;6647950

Have you used full marks tinks? Thats what I wanted to get and would do … Have you used full marks tinks? Thats what I wanted to get and would do it this week and next again

dont waste your money - conditioner and lashings of it, plenty of time to comb through

i have a nitty gritty comb, guarrunteed to not break or get a replacement, had mine a long time now

Original Poster

sassie;6647980

but the combing through gets rids of them, i dont understand if you are … but the combing through gets rids of them, i dont understand if you are doing the combing why you need anything else:?

I think the solutions kill them which I like the sound of

sassie;6647980

but the combing through gets rids of them, i dont understand if you are … but the combing through gets rids of them, i dont understand if you are doing the combing why you need anything else:?

you are100% correct sassie i remember using allsorts of solutions on the 2 eldest years ago and they were rubbish i remember even making them keep the lotion on all day and you could still see the nits moving.

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6647999

so does removiung them from the hair - lol

because pople keep buying the nits become resistant, making the problem bigger, you dont even need to look at them, do haor morning and night, even when they have given, break their legs and they cannot lay, so no infestation, most solutions, no matter what it says on the box, do not kill the eggs, so you still back to square one when they hatch

sassie;6647980

because my daughter hair is so thick and long, when we first noticed she had lots combing was taking ages and seemed to be getting nowhere. so i went and bought the hedrin and it seemed to work, the headlice were not moving after treatment and then just did daily combing. well it worked for me and was just stating that is what i did.

bargainhunter2009;6647999

my local vet sorted me the cure for it, same as for cats and dogs, but its at your own risk.. of course.

Original Poster

Ok I will get full marks, it comes with a comb which i will use anyway. I cant believe she has nits!!!!

Also chek out this link --> nittygritty.co.uk/sit…asp

You can print the letter out and leave it with your GP and you can get the nitty gritty comb for free.

I got one for my son but his hair was too short so gave it to my sister for her daughters who have long hair. She said it worked a treat and saved her a tenner or so on the comb.

When my son has them, i use tea tree conditioner and a small plastic comb. Patience comes into to but perserverance!

bargainhunter2009;6648150

Ok I will get full marks, it comes with a comb which i will use anyway. I … Ok I will get full marks, it comes with a comb which i will use anyway. I cant believe she has nits!!!!

im sure it wont be the last time

Banned

you have eczema on your head and your gonna put phenothrin on it, not the wisest move but good luck

Original Poster

sassie;6648245

you have eczema on your head and your gonna put phenothrin on it, not the … you have eczema on your head and your gonna put phenothrin on it, not the wisest move but good luck

says on full marks website its safe to use if you have eczema though? May just get the comb

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6648346

says on full marks website its safe to use if you have eczema though?

oh well im sure it will be ok then

Original Poster

Full Marks

Full Marks SolutionA new development in head lice treatment that contains no traditional pesticides. Full Marks Solution is clinically proven to kill head lice in a 10 minute treatment time, has no nasty smell and is safe for eczema and asthma sufferers.

Clinically proven to kill head lice
Quick, easy 10 minute treatment time
Odourless
Contains no traditional pesticides
Full Marks Removal Comb included in every pack
Apply to dry hair, leave for 10 minutes. Comb through hair with comb provided to remove the remains of lice and eggs. Finally wash out using non- conditioning shampoo. It’s that easy. Remember to retreat 7 days later. Can be used on adults, elderly and children over 2 years old. Suitable for people with asthma and eczema Always read the label.

With many non-traditional insecticides – including Full Marks Solution – a second treatment, seven days after the first is required. This is to kill any newly-hatched lice which may have been missed in the initial treatment

Always use shampoo and conditioner with mint extracts.
Spray my boys hair every morning with nit repellent (yukky smell), touch wood no nits!

Don't forget to inform school.Most schools do not treat headlice as a medical reason for absence, after she's been treated children are usually allowed back to school., A letter is usually sent home to all in the class, its a standard letter which gives advice on treatment, basically as mentioned above, plenty of hair conditioner alternate days and the good old nit comb.

axapta55;6648077

because my daughter hair is so thick and long, when we first noticed she … because my daughter hair is so thick and long, when we first noticed she had lots combing was taking ages and seemed to be getting nowhere. so i went and bought the hedrin and it seemed to work, the headlice were not moving after treatment and then just did daily combing. well it worked for me and was just stating that is what i did.

nice bully. have them too as well as my pugs.

I have used this treatment numerous times and it has never failed me yet.

Please note you will have to buy good quality essential oils etc but it will be cheaper than buying a solution from the chemists.

Treatment Add 2 drops of eucalyptus and a drop of lavender and geranium in a teaspoon of olive oil. massage the mixture into the scalp and leave for half an hour. Use a nit comb hrough the hair and then shampoo and rinse well.

Finall apply an antiseptic rinse recipe below to cover the whole of the hair and then let the hair dry naturally. You can repeat this daily but i found i only needed one go. You can also use this rinse as a preventative measure after every shampoo.

Antiseptic Rinse

2 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary and geranium, 15ml of vinegar and 240 ml of water. Mix this solutions together and apply as stated previously.

Please note I have been known to leave the oils on all night if you can.

Essentially oils are very good quality oils and they last a very long time.

Dear bluebindy, no need to start a seperate thread on the same subject.

It does not take hours, just a few regular sessions..........................

hotukdeals.com/for…608
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Leicester sack their manager!610
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564060
    3. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)91184
    4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7851474

See more discussions