No bootable device - new hard drive with windows 10 loaded

Posted 16th Jul
Hi guys, Any advice welcome. I’ve got a toshiba satellite pro and purchased a new Kingston ssd hard drive (from here a couple of weeks ago). I’ve managed to load windows 10 via usb to the hard drive (and files present when I take it out and put in usb hard drive caddy on another computer) but when it gets to the restart process at the end of setup it then can’t find a drive again? Tried removing usb no different. Leave usb in and it wants to load a new version of windows again.
The Kingston drive shows when I press F12 and memory check says working fine.

I’m missing a step somewhere but not sure what.

Thank you in anticipation
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
OK. Get the actual Windows 10 ISO by following the instructions here
windowslatest.com/202…es/

Get Rufus from here
rufus.ie/

Rufus is fast, safe and very reliable. I build and support servers for a living, its what I use.

Open Rufus, select the USB drive you want to write the bootable image to, select the ISO image you have and then the Important part is to choose GPT if your laptop is set to UEFI boot or MBR if its set to Legacy boot.

during windows install delete ALL the partitions on the SSD and then click Install to allow Windows to create new ones.
Edited by: "Uridium" 16th Jul
41 Comments
Can you post a pic of what the bios shows under boot options?

And also make sure there's on disc in DVD drive (done that before!)
Edited by: "u664541" 16th Jul
Boot order in Bios is probably wrong.

Change it so that the new SSD drive is the default
deleted1451412
41402216-7jQ9a.jpg
deleted1451412
41402217-2gaWl.jpg
deleted1451412
41402221-bP2nG.jpg
deleted1451412
u66454116/07/2020 07:31

Can you post a pic of what the bios shows under boot options?And also make …Can you post a pic of what the bios shows under boot options?And also make sure there's on disc in DVD drive (done that before!)

Posted below. Not entirely sure if that’s what you were asking for.
Hmm. OK. I was expecting a screen like my Tosh

41402380-JNL40.jpg
deleted1451412
41402417-tLn4f.jpg
Think it’s the same but just this one has toshiba setup utility when you turn it on. But yep had/ssd is set at top boot priority
Something must’ve gone wrong during the install. It’s almost like it hasn’t formatted the drive correctly. Have a look here (long read) and follow the steps...

answers.microsoft.com/en-…587
Fancy!

Sorry, can't help further. Done a few new windows setups on SSDs and not had any bother.
Probably is an easy fix, but darned if I know
Bit of Googling turned this up...

“I’ve experienced this many times upgrading my hardware and reinstalling Windows. You will need to remove the USB stick but it’s when the setup dialog says “Your computer needs to restart now” and you have the option to press the button “Restart now”

THIS is when you remove the USB drive and if your BIOS is set to boot the hard drive you installed to then setup will continue!”

...and...

“Apparently you have 10 seconds after it installs Windows 10, from an image or when you reinstall it from scratch, to remove the drive you booted the Windows 10 install media from. Finally got it to work, thanks to your answer on here!”
Also, do you have the old hard drive from the Tosh? Does that still boot up OK?
deleted1451412
Diggsy16/07/2020 08:38

Bit of Googling turned this up...“I’ve experienced this many times upg …Bit of Googling turned this up...“I’ve experienced this many times upgrading my hardware and reinstalling Windows. You will need to remove the USB stick but it’s when the setup dialog says “Your computer needs to restart now” and you have the option to press the button “Restart now”THIS is when you remove the USB drive and if your BIOS is set to boot the hard drive you installed to then setup will continue!”...and...“Apparently you have 10 seconds after it installs Windows 10, from an image or when you reinstall it from scratch, to remove the drive you booted the Windows 10 install media from. Finally got it to work, thanks to your answer on here!”

Yep tried that second and third attempt. But thank you.
deleted1451412
u66454116/07/2020 08:41

Also, do you have the old hard drive from the Tosh? Does that still boot …Also, do you have the old hard drive from the Tosh? Does that still boot up OK?

Just plugged it back in to check. Yes it works but is very very slow (hence the reason for replacing)
deleted145141216/07/2020 09:01

Just plugged it back in to check. Yes it works but is very very slow …Just plugged it back in to check. Yes it works but is very very slow (hence the reason for replacing)

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Woking? I've a spare SSD, you're welcome to try that in case the new SSD is faulty.
deleted1451412
u66454116/07/2020 09:08

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Woking? I've a spare SSD, you're …Don't suppose you're anywhere near Woking? I've a spare SSD, you're welcome to try that in case the new SSD is faulty.

That’s really kind of you but I’m 90 plus miles away. Appreciate the offer. I’m going to contact mymemory and ask for a replacement or advice. Thank you.
No problem.

Good luck.
What partition type did you use? I've seen problems where the pc/windows install didn't like the disk partition.
deleted1451412
mas9916/07/2020 09:22

What partition type did you use? I've seen problems where the …What partition type did you use? I've seen problems where the pc/windows install didn't like the disk partition.

I removed the partitions per guide then accepted the windows created ones (3 in total).
Got to be new ssd, send back get replacement. If other drive is working it’s not the laptop... anyway you can format the other ssd in a different pc, see if it works...
deleted145141216/07/2020 09:01

Just plugged it back in to check. Yes it works but is very very slow …Just plugged it back in to check. Yes it works but is very very slow (hence the reason for replacing)

Was it Windows 10 or Windows 7 previously on the old HDD?
deleted1451412
Uridium16/07/2020 09:26

Was it Windows 10 or Windows 7 previously on the old HDD?

Windows 10
deleted145141216/07/2020 09:26

Windows 10

Might be worth checking in the BIOS on boot settings (F2 on a Toshiba I believe) if its set to Legacy or UEFI boot mode, whichever its set to try the opposite.
deleted1451412
Uridium16/07/2020 09:29

Might be worth checking in the BIOS on boot settings (F2 on a Toshiba I …Might be worth checking in the BIOS on boot settings (F2 on a Toshiba I believe) if its set to Legacy or UEFI boot mode, whichever its set to try the opposite.

Yep tried that. After watching a rather slow YouTube video explaining problems with toshiba boot problems. Thank you.
deleted145141216/07/2020 09:24

I removed the partitions per guide then accepted the windows created ones …I removed the partitions per guide then accepted the windows created ones (3 in total).

No, I mean the partition type - mbr/guid - have a google - I solved the problem by setting the disk up using a linux bootable system (you could use cd or usb bootable trials)

Given that the system sees the disk and gets so far I think its far more likely to be a system/config issue than a faulty ssd
How did you create the Win10 USB stick? using the Microsoft tool or something else (rufus etc)?
deleted1451412
Uridium16/07/2020 09:47

How did you create the Win10 USB stick? using the Microsoft tool or …How did you create the Win10 USB stick? using the Microsoft tool or something else (rufus etc)?

Microsoft tool
OK. Get the actual Windows 10 ISO by following the instructions here
windowslatest.com/202…es/

Get Rufus from here
rufus.ie/

Rufus is fast, safe and very reliable. I build and support servers for a living, its what I use.

Open Rufus, select the USB drive you want to write the bootable image to, select the ISO image you have and then the Important part is to choose GPT if your laptop is set to UEFI boot or MBR if its set to Legacy boot.

during windows install delete ALL the partitions on the SSD and then click Install to allow Windows to create new ones.
deleted1451412
Well rang mymemory very nice advisor picked up the phone and said they don’t recommend this Kingston ssd for toshiba satellite pro so as a one off send it back and they will refund.
Not quite sure why as I’ve put ssd in older laptops and worked but she said to check with toshiba and buy a different brand ssd.
deleted145141216/07/2020 10:19

Well rang mymemory very nice advisor picked up the phone and said they …Well rang mymemory very nice advisor picked up the phone and said they don’t recommend this Kingston ssd for toshiba satellite pro so as a one off send it back and they will refund. Not quite sure why as I’ve put ssd in older laptops and worked but she said to check with toshiba and buy a different brand ssd.

if the SATA controller in the laptop sees it (which it does) and Windows PE sees it during the install (which it does) then it has nothing to do with this particular model of SSD and you'll have the same issue with the next one you try. It has nothing to do with the make/model of SSD.

Your choice though, if your happier sending it back go for it, just be prepared for the same issue with the next SSD you try.
Uridium16/07/2020 10:32

if the SATA controller in the laptop sees it (which it does) and Windows …if the SATA controller in the laptop sees it (which it does) and Windows PE sees it during the install (which it does) then it has nothing to do with this particular model of SSD and you'll have the same issue with the next one you try. It has nothing to do with the make/model of SSD.Your choice though, if your happier sending it back go for it, just be prepared for the same issue with the next SSD you try.

Agreed and worth trying the Rufus instructions above before sending back I feel :-)
deleted1451412
Uridium16/07/2020 10:32

if the SATA controller in the laptop sees it (which it does) and Windows …if the SATA controller in the laptop sees it (which it does) and Windows PE sees it during the install (which it does) then it has nothing to do with this particular model of SSD and you'll have the same issue with the next one you try. It has nothing to do with the make/model of SSD.Your choice though, if your happier sending it back go for it, just be prepared for the same issue with the next SSD you try.

Tried and followed every step you’ve suggested and loaded windows removed usb drive before reset and still says insert system disk in drive.
deleted145141216/07/2020 12:22

Tried and followed every step you’ve suggested and loaded windows removed u …Tried and followed every step you’ve suggested and loaded windows removed usb drive before reset and still says insert system disk in drive.

Is it set to Legacy or UEFI boot at the moment? it definitely sounds like an issue with the SATA boot settings in the BIOS
deleted1451412
Uridium16/07/2020 12:39

Is it set to Legacy or UEFI boot at the moment? it definitely sounds like …Is it set to Legacy or UEFI boot at the moment? it definitely sounds like an issue with the SATA boot settings in the BIOS

Uefi
+1 for rufus and the .iso - have you now done this?
deleted1451412
cache16/07/2020 12:59

+1 for rufus and the .iso - have you now done this?

Yep but no joy.
deleted1451412
Thanks guys for all your help. I’m going to give up and return the ssd. Wasted enough time. Next time I’ll leave it to an expert.
deleted145141216/07/2020 13:03

Thanks guys for all your help. I’m going to give up and return the ssd. W …Thanks guys for all your help. I’m going to give up and return the ssd. Wasted enough time. Next time I’ll leave it to an expert.

The next thing I would be trying is changing the BIOS to Legacy and installing from USB using Rufus with MBR option.

If you've had enough fair enough though, its easy for me to keep suggesting different things to try as I usually have to..... its my day job to carry on until I DO fix it
deleted1451412
u66454116/07/2020 21:46

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/toshiba-laptop-ssd-upgraded-ssd-is-showing-in-bios-but-wont-boot.3201881/If you're bored and want another go

Thank you. Shame I didn’t find this yesterday (or more to the point Wednesday night when I first tried). Got so fed up the ssd is back in the post last night.
Post a comment
@
    Text