No claims bonus and unsubstantiated accident

Found 28th Oct 2017
Two questions:
1)
I had a company car and when it came to an end asked them for an accident report to use when insuring the private car I had bought. We had to report every little scrape and scratch and the company fleet was self-insured ie through a company Insurance cell rather than a big insurer.

My record shows a third party claim against me that is still “being investigated” since 2015 - so no amount paid out or claim settled. I literally touched the bumper of a lady in a traffic jam in front of me and she went mad about being pregnant and there being unseen damage - so I gave her my insurance details and said no problem, get checked out and do what you have to do. Nothing has happened since her original contact with the insurers. Can I get this struck off the record or not counted by my new insurers as an claim?

2) I now have 1 year on my new private car policy with no claims this year but just before my company car went back a couple of months ago, someone keyed the side of it - so an insurance claim...does this mean I don’t earn the 1 year no claims bonus with my private policy because I’ve had a claim elsewhere? How does it work if you have two cars so “two no claims bonuses building up” and then claim on one of them? Does it scupper both? If so that seems a bit unfair...

Thanks!!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
Insurance is technically on the person and not the car. It’s based on how likely you are to make a claim or have a claim made against you. So if you have two cars insured technically and statistically speaking you’re more likely to make a claim or have a claim made against you than if you had one car policy. So, you can’t build up no claims on separate cars as the insurance is on you and not the vehicle.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 28th Oct 2017
Your private policy is safe in the second instance I think though not sure how your company does it these two policies are different and you won’t earn or be able to show no claims on the company policy. I think your issue is in giving the information to your private insurance they’d have never known about that company policy.
Original Poster
ipswich781 h, 5 m ago

Insurance is technically on the person and not the car. It’s based on how l …Insurance is technically on the person and not the car. It’s based on how likely you are to make a claim or have a claim made against you. So if you have two cars insured technically and statistically speaking you’re more likely to make a claim or have a claim made against you than if you had one car policy. So, you can’t build up no claims on separate cars as the insurance is on you and not the vehicle.

I’m not sure this is totally right as if you have one car and have 3 years no claims bonus, then buy another car and insure that, they won’t give you 3 years no claims bonus discount even if you’ve not had any claims in the last three years...you’ll have to build up that discount on a second policy... is that not right!??
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo1 h, 0 m ago

Your private policy is safe in the second instance I think though not sure …Your private policy is safe in the second instance I think though not sure how your company does it these two policies are different and you won’t earn or be able to show no claims on the company policy. I think your issue is in giving the information to your private insurance they’d have never known about that company policy.

Yeah I can’t earn no claims on the company car policy - was always going to have to start from zero no claims bonus when I swapped to a private vehicle which is what kept me with the company scheme for 12 years.
as far as i understand, if you have had any claim on any car, your no claim bonus will be affected. it is about your risk to accident, which also include other people smashing into you.
I can give you an example from work if this helps make it any clearer. If any of our professional drivers have to make a claim on our work poilcy for any accident/damage etc, they must declare this to their private car insurance policy. When taking out any private policy you will be asked the question "Have you had any motoring claims/accidents/fires/thefts within the last x years"." the key being they always use the word "any". Whilst they will let you take out the policy without any prior checks, when it comes to claims the investigation teams may find an entry against your name on the database then say you supplied false information and not pay out, not just that but afterwards getting insurance can be seriously troublesome. Whilst it will not affect your private no claims discount it will affect the premium as they are accessing a risk against you as a driver and then the other considerations of the cost of parts on the vehicle you are insuring etc etc.
Another way to put it is, honesty is the best policy, as the last thing you wish for is what can happen from not declaring.

Upon saying that I'm unsure how it might work in regards to the way your company was insuring the fleet, we use a major insurance company and all claims even if we paying ourselves (less than the insurance excess etc), the insurance company are still made aware.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 28th Oct 2017
Original Poster
Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting for a minute I wouldn’t tell them about it. More that how to deal with it if it gets properly recorded as not being a claim. It may be that it stays in the records as an incident but no cash paid out.
bluep5 m ago

Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting for a minute I wouldn’t tell them abo …Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting for a minute I wouldn’t tell them about it. More that how to deal with it if it gets properly recorded as not being a claim. It may be that it stays in the records as an incident but no cash paid out.

a claim does not have to be paid, it could be settled between insurers as both being to blame and so no monies need to be paid. a claim is any incident where someone has put in a claim.
claims are against policies as are ncds, but yes you do need to inform insurers of all "claims" this does not immediately invalidate your ncd as is shown by being able to purchase ncd protection.
As the claim was against your company policy it does not affect your ncd on your own policy
btw when i went from a company vehicle a few years ago i had 6 yrs claim free on the company policy and some insurers will count this as ncd as long as you can obtain evidence of your claim free period.
Original Poster
Thanks - it’s never been a question of having any ncd to try to get an insurer to accept from my company car as I literally had to report every scratch and I had he bad luck of stuff like someone banging me in a car park and driving off without leaving a number then the car being keyed etc...so never any ncd built up. However I was hoping to have one year on my private policy when it comes to renewal at Christmas...
At work we deal with fleet insurance claims for our lease car drivers. When the lease is up and they hand back the car, even if they have had 0 claims in 10 years, they will not have a no claims bonus. We can write a claims history letter, but they are not named drivers on a single policy and therefore the no claims bonus will not apply.

for the 2015 accident, that should be reported as a fault incident that was not pursued and the keying will be recorded as a no fault claim. But both should be reported to your new insurers as failure to declare could void your insurance.

but they may not have a huge impact on your premium. A couple of years ago I had parallel parked to drop my children at school. When I came back to my car, the car behind had the bumper touchingmine (literally the tinyest bit. The other driver was going mad at me saying I had damaged her car and so I pulled forward and looked, she had these deep scratches running sideways all along the front of her car which in no way would be caused by a light bumper touching. I think she wanted me to pay her cash thrreand then and was a scam (my theory is that she pulled forward into my car when I was in the school as I didn't feel any bump etc and I was parking so going about 2mph). I didn't hand anything over but I did contact my insurers to notify them, she never made any claim. This still got noted as a fault incident but not pursued. I was going to challenge it being recorded on my record, but at renewal I looked at quotes where I declared it and where I didn't. The premium was actually about £30 less with that declared so I was not bothered by it being on my history lol
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments.

Just to clear up any confusion.
I am not expecting to carry any proof of no claims from my company car to my private insurance. I always intended to tell my private insurers about all claims (indeed at the moment they have the 2015 accident as a fault claim against me with the amount to be determined). But I wanted to understand what happens if the claim doesn't go any further - can I do anythign to lessen the impact on my private insurance as no money was paid out and indeed I don't think the woman really had a claim at all - it was literally 1-2 mph and no marks on either car so seems unfair I get stuck with it on my record.

Secondly, as I come up to renewal on my private car insurance I would have normally earned 1 years no claim bonus discount. I wanted to understand if the vandalism claim on my company car insurance will mean my private car insurance will put that back to zero years again. I haven't paid to protect my NCD as I didn't have any at the start of the year...
bluep28th Oct

I’m not sure this is totally right as if you have one car and have 3 years …I’m not sure this is totally right as if you have one car and have 3 years no claims bonus, then buy another car and insure that, they won’t give you 3 years no claims bonus discount even if you’ve not had any claims in the last three years...you’ll have to build up that discount on a second policy... is that not right!??

You are completely correct most people don't understand this
bluep28th Oct

I’m not sure this is totally right as if you have one car and have 3 years …I’m not sure this is totally right as if you have one car and have 3 years no claims bonus, then buy another car and insure that, they won’t give you 3 years no claims bonus discount even if you’ve not had any claims in the last three years...you’ll have to build up that discount on a second policy... is that not right!??

Spot on...I think they're getting a bit confused. You must report any claim, WHETHER IT IS A PRIVATE VEHICLE OR A COMPANY VEHICLE. The insurance is based on the vehicle you insure - the driver is merely a factor in the costing calculation.
you should contact the claims departmentof your then insurers and ask them to close the claim.
they could contact the other party while you are on with them to find out anything needed. just been through this - took 11 months to get a micky mouse claim closed.
have they told you anything to date?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants