No claims bonus protection years

Posted 28th Aug
I have built up to 6 years of no claims bonus and have already protected it. But I had a claim made against me last year. Does that mean at my renewal, I will still have 6 years, or 7 years? I am not quite familiar in this area, so I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a clarification on this. Thank you in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
From what happened to me last year too. I was going from 7 to 8yrs so instead of ending the policy on 8yrs no claims. It was just 7yrs.

I suspect someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.
it will be 6 years as the year that you put in a claim will not count towards the bank.
But your premium will still go up, most likely.
You will retain your original no claims years if only one claim has been issued against you but you will almost certainly be paying more on renewal because the insurance company see you as a higher risk.
NCB only drops if you make a claim to your own vehicle.
If you have an accident, and the other driver claims on your insurance then its ok. However if you then make a claim to repair your vehicle then you will lose the discount. HOWEVER your premium may also go up.
Your renewal notice will tell you how many years of no claims you have
Edited by: "RandomUser42" 28th Aug
6 years, had the same issue myself a few months ago.
rimalpatel00728/08/2020 14:46

NCB only drops if you make a claim to your own vehicle.If you have an …NCB only drops if you make a claim to your own vehicle.If you have an accident, and the other driver claims on your insurance then its ok. However if you then make a claim to repair your vehicle then you will lose the discount. HOWEVER your premium may also go up.

Wrong. If someone claims on you, it will impact your NCB, regardless if you claimed for your own damage or not. It's still a claim against your policy.
Edited by: "sammy125" 28th Aug
rimalpatel00728/08/2020 14:46

NCB only drops if you make a claim to your own vehicle.If you have an …NCB only drops if you make a claim to your own vehicle.If you have an accident, and the other driver claims on your insurance then its ok. However if you then make a claim to repair your vehicle then you will lose the discount. HOWEVER your premium may also go up.

Wrong!
bigwheels28/08/2020 15:29

6 years, had the same issue myself a few months ago.

Been driving 9 years never took out the bonus.
rimalpatel00728/08/2020 17:22

Been driving 9 years never took out the bonus.

Driving since 1989, cars that is.
First at fault accident in over 15 years.
What can you do.
Insurance companies are very dodgy as most only give a max of 9 year’s bonus.
I have protected NCB and have found each insurer treats it slightly differently. But it's still a worthwhile benefit.

The bit I've never understood is how it stands if you make a fault claim and then move insurer at renewal (as I do most years to get the best deal).

Assuming my current insurer offers 10yrs NCB at renewal despite claim, can I still get quotes elsewhere (obviously declaring the fault claim) based on 10yrs NCB?
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC28/08/2020 18:18

I have protected NCB and have found each insurer treats it slightly …I have protected NCB and have found each insurer treats it slightly differently. But it's still a worthwhile benefit.The bit I've never understood is how it stands if you make a fault claim and then move insurer at renewal (as I do most years to get the best deal).Assuming my current insurer offers 10yrs NCB at renewal despite claim, can I still get quotes elsewhere (obviously declaring the fault claim) based on 10yrs NCB?

Yes if you had protected 10yrs NCB the same 10 years will transfer between insurance companies even if at fault, but your premium will still be loaded because of the claim.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 28th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text