Found 14th Jan 2010
Hi all

Right bear with me while i try to explain this.

I have a car i currently have 3 years no claims, will have 4 by July.

I want to purchase a Van, for business use.

Obviously I cannot use my no claims on 2 vehicles.

How does it work? Do I need to have 2 completely separate policies

OR

Insure myself on my car, and get insurance enabling me to drive other cars?
(Is this illegal? I would be driving my car the majority of the time.. But the van as and when i need too)

Can anyone clarify this?

If i need 2 separate policies.. I would need to consider which policy to use my no claims on.

Kind Regards

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
14 Comments

You would own the van therefore you cannot use the add on of driving other cars from your car policy. Its restricted to vehicles you do not own or hire.

You would need two seperate policies although some companies do now allow you to insure second vehicles with them as an extension to your car policy. Its supposed to work out much cheaper to insure both thru the same company but its worth checking all prices carefully first.

Have you looked into a trade policy. Im sure u can add to it and drive any car. And i dont think it costs to much.

also cars that you drive 3rd party (on the back of having your own fully comp insurance on your own car) have to be insured by someone.....I guess if its yours and you were intending driving like that then it wouldnt be insured at all

Original Poster Banned

Right okay..
Thanks for those replies.

any idea of these companies that allow you to insure a second vehicle?

Also.. What is a trade policy etc?

You can have a trade policy if you have a business van. my OH has this and has his car on it as well. He can even put my car on it and works out cheaper.

my experience tells me you will have no no claims on a new van and it will cost a small fortune for your first year , some companies wont insure vans , you get in to all the questions like are you carrying stock , gross vehicle weight , is it for business use etc etc , vans used to be dirt cheap to insure years ago

Original Poster Banned

muckyangel;7545853

You can have a trade policy if you have a business van. my OH has this … You can have a trade policy if you have a business van. my OH has this and has his car on it as well. He can even put my car on it and works out cheaper.

Can you tell me which company please?
and anymore information would be kindly appreciated.

You need two policies

The van would have to be commercial insurance not private car

muckyangel;7545853

You can have a trade policy if you have a business van. my OH has this … You can have a trade policy if you have a business van. my OH has this and has his car on it as well. He can even put my car on it and works out cheaper.

Is that for the motor trade?

His not here at the mo but i no the company he is with is Tradewise Insurance Company Ltd.

Any motor vehicle(excluding motor cycles vehicles with a G>V>W in excess of 7.5 tonnes)

Original Poster Banned

When your OH is back, could you get him to drop me a message, outlining it all.
Regards

ok i will get him to pm you with the info.

Original Poster Banned

muckyangel;7546008

ok i will get him to pm you with the info.

That would be great thanks.

Get a quote on Gladiator. They ask how much NCB you have on a private car and match it :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Google maps on Plusnet45
    2. Is this expensive?917
    3. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return56
    4. I posted a deal that has been removed612

See more discussions