Expired

No claims discount proof - Help needed

Found 26th Sep 2017
Last year I took out car insurance with Halifax online. I had 14 Yrs no claims discount prior to taking the policy out. I have contact Halifax for my proof of no claims. They say they only recognise 9 yrs and no more. So my no claim proof says 9 yrs instead of 14 Yrs. My new insurance wants proof of 14 Yrs no claims. But Halifax will not do it. I have asked for complaints department but they have said there is nothing they can do.
Has this happened to anyone else? And what can/ should I do
Thanks for your time
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Have you considered going back to your previous insurers? You must of had some sort of evidence that you sent Halifax when you first set your insurance up with them?

Also, are you actually benefitting from 14 years no cliams bonus over say 9? I doubt there is any difference as a lot of insurance companies only discount up to a set number of years.
99.9% of Insureres will have a max of 9 years but like ipswich78 said, go to the previous insurer too
I was in a similar situation. I asked my insurer to email me to say I did have over 9 yrs NCD in reality, even though they couldn't provide the official proof. My next insurer was happy with that email, all insurers do share info anyway...hope that helps you.
9 years is usually the maximum discount any insurer will give, I would have 12 years but stuck with 9. It makes no real difference. You are unlikely to prove it.

Go back to the insurer and tell them you can only prove 9 years no claims. I assume you're still within the 14 day cooling off period?.
You previous insurer would be the one to contact but as it has been a while, it may take a while for them to get back to you, if they do. You could dig out old policies and send that in in the mean time if that states 14 years NCD.
Did you have the old insurance papers emailed to you , maybe you still have a copy. I've had the same problem in the past , but always keep a copy of my no claims from old policies, think I haveabout the last 10 years worth as its only one sheet of paper a year.
My last insurers managed to check it all electronically though via a shared data base because I was able to tell them the details of prior insurers .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 26th Sep 2017
yes in reality I should have 18 years NCB but most of the insurers I've used only count up to 9, doesn't seem to make any difference in cost anyway so haven't bothered to try and change it.

Is the quote for your new insurance actually any different if you change from 14 to 9+ years?
Best to do like tinkerbellian said and keep your NCB proof for every year, then at least you can show the total number of years even if the documents only say 9+
I have now got the no claim proof from previous insurance saying 14 Yrs. Can I send this instead of Halifax saying 9 yrs? My 14 days runs out Thursday and they say if I want to cancel the policy it will cost me £45. They are also wanting to £25 to amend any details that are wrong on the policy. It's with Go Girl.
brandlew24 m ago

I have now got the no claim proof from previous insurance saying 14 Yrs. …I have now got the no claim proof from previous insurance saying 14 Yrs. Can I send this instead of Halifax saying 9 yrs? My 14 days runs out Thursday and they say if I want to cancel the policy it will cost me £45. They are also wanting to £25 to amend any details that are wrong on the policy. It's with Go Girl.

just send in both.
You should give up driving for 2 years then you won't have this problem, your 14 years will become 0
9 years is the maximum no claims bonus now
They have accepted my 14 Yrs no claim. Thanks for all your help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants