Groups

No direction

I've reached a point where I feel I have no direction.

I feel that I need to go somewhere, do something different but I can't think of what. I have always been very driven to achieve and go get there but now that I have done that, I feel a bit lost.

Anyone felt like this before? Is it temporary?

Will I sober out of it?

117 Comments

Very common ! It does pass but you also have to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about why you feel like this, When you feel like this it is important not to make a rash decision.............

Original Poster

stiffnuts

Very common ! It does pass but you also have to sit down and have an … Very common ! It does pass but you also have to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about why you feel like this, When you feel like this it is important not to make a rash decision.............

is it really common? i am surprised at that.
    i have never felt lost before until now.

Banned

it will get worst to the point you end up posting pointless threads on a shopping forum, oh wait

Age is a factor.
    I'm 43 and one thing I've learnt is life isn't easy.
    It's about finding the balance between pursuit and being happy with that which you have.

Original Poster

willhay555

Age is a factor.I'm 43 and one thing I've learnt is life isn't easy.It's … Age is a factor.I'm 43 and one thing I've learnt is life isn't easy.It's about finding the balance between pursuit and being happy with that which you have.

there lies my problem. i have achieved a lot and so you would think that would make me happy but it doesn't. it's great to have achieved things but i can't see where to go next as i don't want to continue striving for success but i don't know anything else. but i just know i don't want to strive any more and need a different direction.

ditch the mrs and get yourself a sports bra or motorbike, get laid, sell up and move abroad and start again..

open a canine obedience training school X) or...
    http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i56/5/4/13/frabz-Join-me-and-together-we-shall-rule-the-galaxy-82f79c.jpg
    Edited by: "Dark.Energy" 28th Dec 2014

Banned

CookinBat

ditch the mrs and get yourself a sports bra or motorbike, get laid, sell … ditch the mrs and get yourself a sports bra or motorbike, get laid, sell up and move abroad and start again..

i tried all those things, they don't help and in the case of the bra going out in it just added to my problems oO

mutley1

there lies my problem. i have achieved a lot and so you would think that … there lies my problem. i have achieved a lot and so you would think that would make me happy but it doesn't. it's great to have achieved things but i can't see where to go next as i don't want to continue striving for success but i don't know anything else. but i just know i don't want to strive any more and need a different direction.

Have you thought about helping others to achieve ? A reward in itself. Could be as little as an hour a month/eek etc in an area that interests you or a charity or organisation . Some would be so grateful for the help they cannot normally pay for.

This time of year has people revaluating their life.....get fitter,chuck the fags,new jobs,more time with family,loose weight....good intentions.learning to be happy with your lot.

Can you identify what you want to change and what you want to keep? It sounds a bit daft, but think about life without your job, other half (if you have one), other commitments. If the idea of losing them causes you any kind of distress, then you know they are not the issue. If it is a lack of challenge, draw up your bucket list, set a budget for achieving it and get on with it. Best of luck.

mutley1

I've reached a point where I feel I have no direction.I feel that I … I've reached a point where I feel I have no direction.I feel that I need to go somewhere, do something different but I can't think of what. I have always been very driven to achieve and go get there but now that I have done that, I feel a bit lost.Anyone felt like this before? Is it temporary?Will I sober out of it? if you continue to feel out of sorts see your dr,mental health should,nt be ignored.

shazzashops

Well put, shazza.

Banned

zzzzz

" Will I sober out of it? "

Only if you put the bottle down.:p

Its the time of year, post Christmas blues, it'll pass
    Come springtime you'll probably have a fresh view on life

deeky

Well put, shazza.

SWOON.....so humbled by your acknowledgement sir deeky!...proper made up!....a vip no less!

shazzashops

SWOON.....so humbled by your acknowledgement sir deeky!...proper made … SWOON.....so humbled by your acknowledgement sir deeky!...proper made up!....a vip no less!

Oh I don't usually have that effect on women
    Edited by: "deeky" 28th Dec 2014

deeky

SWOON.....so humbled by your acknowledgement sir deeky!...proper made … SWOON.....so humbled by your acknowledgement sir deeky!...proper made up!....a vip no less!

Oh I don't usually have that effect on women [/quote] not even on ones named "olive?"

shazzashops

not even on ones named "olive?"

I meant to say sexy women X)

I think it is this time of year that some (most?) of us look at the year we had and what we hope for the future.

You might be waking up to the fact that we are only here to help others, so the nice car, nice house, designer clothes, fancy holidays, and all the other shiiite that goes with it, in the end really is all shiiite, so you will always feel unfulfilled - that is until you start to help others in a way that you fell comfortable with, and in a way that deep down, you probably know that that is why you are here.

- You might be a Doctor - Go somewhere to help those that can't afford to be treated: ie. Africa

- You might be a Teacher - Maybe go and teach in a children's school, again somewhere that education is scarce

- You might have a successful business and earn a lot of money - Decide that you will cut back on life's "luxuries" and use more of your money to help those that need it - You could go to countries or places yourself and do this for maybe a month or two a year, or team up with a reputable charity, preferably one that doesn't pay their CEO over 100 grand a year!

You need to connect with yourself.

Declutter, detox, and switch off the Ipad for a couple of weeks, pick up a pen and a piece of paper, and write what you are feeling. If you don't already know the answer, you will find that it is just under the surface waiting for you to discover (rediscover) it again.

God Speed!

Banned

OP do some charity work and get some perspective in your life.

The OP just needs to " count their blessings ", I am sure there are a lot far worse off than them.:|

mutley1

I've reached a point where I feel I have no direction.I feel that I need … I've reached a point where I feel I have no direction.I feel that I need to go somewhere, do something different but I can't think of what. I have always been very driven to achieve and go get there but now that I have done that, I feel a bit lost.Anyone felt like this before? Is it temporary?Will I sober out of it?

Take your dog for a walk.

He is also a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Life is a journey, not a destination. You have achieved great things in your work life. Perhaps now is the time to focus on what makes you as a person really happy. Making others happy and sharing your time and skills, travelling, new hobbies, sports, interests might relight your candle. This is a reflective time of the year and some people get post Christmas blues. Go for a long walk and mull things over, talk to your partner, make plans so you have things to look forward to. Xxx

Have you considered satnav?

shauneco

Have you considered satnav?

That made me giggle ..

You asking if "Anyone felt like this before?"- better if don't go further than Buddha- you'll find all the other Masters since telling you about this nice glittering prison (Earth) and this crossroad: red or blue pill! Just showing you as normal developement.
    What's next ("Is it temporary? Will I sober out of it?")- it's up to you- looking promising but... quite a journey forward! And, on the other way round now: looking inside; the help was Goethe looking for when asking for more light("Mehr Licht!")

1o1

You asking if "Anyone felt like this before?"- better if don't go further … You asking if "Anyone felt like this before?"- better if don't go further than Buddha- you'll find all the other Masters since telling you about this nice glittering prison (Earth) and this crossroad: red or blue pill! Just showing you as normal developement. What's next ("Is it temporary? Will I sober out of it?")- it's up to you- looking promising but... quite a journey forward! And, on the other way round now: looking inside; the help was Goethe looking for when asking for more light("Mehr Licht!")

you joined the site to write that?

Here you go
    http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/thewongwing101/pictures/3294_zps257d0a58.jpg
    Edited by: "Wongy110" 28th Dec 2014

Original Poster

joesmum

you joined the site to write that?

sounds like the guy felt quite moved by my post.

Original Poster

13norfolk

Life is a journey, not a destination.

this is the most profound advice i have heard since a very long time.

i never thought of it like that. yes, you are right. life is a journey not a destination.

i have always thought of it as a destination and that i must get there and so now that i have reached where i have always wanted to go, i don't know where else to go next, but if it is a journey then the need to have some where to go to next doesn't seem so important any more.

i feel so much better now

Banned

Consider religion.

Original Poster

Villa

Consider religion.

i am an atheist (if i can spell that right). i have seen first hand what religion can do to some people so this is not for me.
    i don't think god will be very good at giving me direction anyway.

Banned

mutley1

i am an atheist (if i can spell that right). i have seen first hand what … i am an atheist (if i can spell that right). i have seen first hand what religion can do to some people so this is not for me.i don't think god will be very good at giving me direction anyway.

I believe a number of notable people changed their ways after letting religion into their lives.
    Give it a chance.

1o1

You asking if "Anyone felt like this before?"- better if don't go further … You asking if "Anyone felt like this before?"- better if don't go further than Buddha- you'll find all the other Masters since telling you about this nice glittering prison (Earth) and this crossroad: red or blue pill! Just showing you as normal developement. What's next ("Is it temporary? Will I sober out of it?")- it's up to you- looking promising but... quite a journey forward! And, on the other way round now: looking inside; the help was Goethe looking for when asking for more light("Mehr Licht!")

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/supernatural-jensen-ackles-dean-winchester-confused-gif.gif

Original Poster

Villa

I believe a number of notable people changed their ways after letting … I believe a number of notable people changed their ways after letting religion into their lives.Give it a chance.

religion is for guidance and comfort in time of distress.
    i am in neither, i just want a practical way forward where i feel i am doing something useful as i just feel like i am stuck in a rut and i am going no where that i want to be.

13norfolk

Life is a journey, not a destination.

mutley1

this is the most profound advice i have heard since a very long time.

Brilliant work norfolk X)

mutters, would you mind sharing with us a couple of your achievements?

Original Poster

CookinBat

ditch the mrs and get yourself a sports bra or motorbike, get laid, sell … ditch the mrs and get yourself a sports bra or motorbike, get laid, sell up and move abroad and start again..

this sounds great but i think i will regret it after a day. X)

Original Poster

deeky

mutters, would you mind sharing with us a couple of your achievements?

i would but i don't want to brag and most folks on here would not believe me if i list them and just say i am telling fibs.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions