Expired

no dvd drive found on laptop - now found, thank you all xx

Banned 48 replies
Found 10th Jan 2009
it seems to have dissappeared from everywhere and when i put in a disc it goes through the motions but nothing happens, any ideas

48 Comments

Make/model?
Operating system?

Are you using vista?

Original Poster Banned

medion/MD95101
windows xp

Right click on My Computer, then choose Properties, then Hardware, the Device Manager, check that there is no red warning next to DVD/CD Drives.
If there is, then it is probably a driver fault.
If not, do a System Restore to see if it sorts out the problem.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK

Give that a go...

Original Poster Banned

Predikuesi;4020242

Right click on My Computer, then choose Properties, then Hardware, the … Right click on My Computer, then choose Properties, then Hardware, the Device Manager, check that there is no red warning next to DVD/CD Drives.

as already said, it isnt there

Original Poster Banned

spann3rs;4020247

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: Start Registry Editor … To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OKGive that a go...

errmm whats that please? :oops:

Try a System Restore first before messing in the Registry.

Original Poster Banned

Predikuesi;4020298

Try a System Restore first before messing in the Registry.

tried that, cant even remember the last time i used it :oops:

spann3rs;4020247

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: Start Registry Editor … To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OKGive that a go...

I had to do this on a newly bought laptop the other day, under device manager it was showing a fault of number 39.
I only had lower filters but deleted them and rebooted and the drive showed up and worked straight away - it is a known Microsoft fault in Windows from Vista to Win95!

Make sure you back up the registry first before you do any messing in it.

Have you installed or uninstalled anything recently?

Original Poster Banned

the device isnt showing in device manager, well i dont think it is

Also make sure it is showing in your BIOS.

Original Poster Banned

oh ok, is this it HITACHI_DK23FA-80

sassie;4020353

oh ok, is this it HITACHI_DK23FA-80

That's the HDD (Hard Drive) I think.

Original Poster Banned

emasu;4020377

That's the HDD (Hard Drive) I think.

yeah thats what i thought, thats the only disk drive in device manager :oops:

It should be under cd rom or something like that... or under unknown device...

This is the link that worked for me

]http//su…/nl

Medion's site isn't giving me the option of a driver for the disk drive which is a bit odd. Every other part of the computer though

Original Poster Banned

emasu;4020397

Medion's site isn't giving me the option of a driver for the disk drive … Medion's site isn't giving me the option of a driver for the disk drive which is a bit odd. Every other part of the computer though

i couldnt even find the computer on medion site, could you post a linkie for future ref for me please

Have you recently added memory to the laptop as that is what made my drive vanish?

sassie;4020418

i couldnt even find the computer on medion site, could you post a linkie … i couldnt even find the computer on medion site, could you post a linkie for future ref for me please

medion.co.uk/ser…htm

Then type the model number in the MD/LT bit.

Original Poster Banned

Den38;4020422

Have you recently added memory to the laptop as that is what made my … Have you recently added memory to the laptop as that is what made my drive vanish?

its been gone along time, just not got round to doing anything about it :oops:

like i say in control panel it doesnt show, nor in device manager

Hi Sassie I Had Same Prob With Mi Brothers Do What Den38 Says Then Get Bout Norton:)

Start Menu >> Run... >> Type regedit >> Press enter.

Then follow the upper/lower filters removal guide, mentioned by Spann3rs and Den38.

Back up the registry first by following this

]http//su…56/

then do the filter/registry thing ( I am a technophobe and it was very easy as long as you delete the correct thing)

Original Poster Banned

whats the lower/upper filters thing i found the thing to delete, but dont know what the lower filter and upper filter means

It's needs a warm bath

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Start Registry Editor.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
* If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
* If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer
Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Note you may only have one set of filters - I only had lower ones.

Original Poster Banned

me thinks maybe i get someone who knows what their doing, think i may have had my fill of luck meddling with comps for this month, thanks for all the help guys

Sassie, it is a lot simpler than it sounds.

I too didn't know how to even get into the registry before last week!

Original Poster Banned

nah, i think i have really pushed my good luck for this month, rep left for everyones help xx

sassie;4020655

nah, i think i have really pushed my good luck for this month, rep left … nah, i think i have really pushed my good luck for this month, rep left for everyones help xx

You tried hitting it....................:whistling:

;-)

Original Poster Banned

fox2020;4020761

You tried hitting it....................:whistling:;-)

yep, and still nothing

sassie;4020776

yep, and still nothing:p

It's broken then..................:-D

Original Poster Banned

fox2020;4020791

It's broken then..................:-D

thank the lordy you arrived and helped ;-)

sassie;4020804

thank the lordy you arrived and helped ;-)

Either the connector to the motherboard has come loose or it's bust..............IMO................but hit it again just to make sure;-)

Original Poster Banned

fox2020;4020840

Either the connector to the motherboard has come loose or it's … Either the connector to the motherboard has come loose or it's bust..............IMO................but hit it again just to make sure;-)

i swear this happened once before, but have no idea how i got it back :oops:

dementia has alot to answer too :oops:

its a windows update thats caused it

had same problem last year follow dens post and it will sort it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.36
    2. How do you pay your SIPP management fees?11
    3. Whey protien616
    4. private number55