No Face ID after repair

Posted 29th Jul
Just sent my wife’s xr for repair mic not working just got it back mic works perfectly but Face ID doesn’t it worked perfectly before any ideas cheers ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
JumpMan198029/07/2020 11:07

Who repaired it? Name & shame

Or maybe give them a chance to fix the problem before jumping on board the cancel-train...
the.porter29/07/2020 11:12

It was a company on eBay I’m just waiting to see what they say about it

Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but again you get what you pay for...

have you checked settings and tried redoing Face ID? Have you reset phone as well just in case?
30 Comments
I’d take it back to where you got it repaired and tell them.
Someone robbed your display. I belive every part of the new iPhone are coded to the phone.

So if you replace mic display etc they need coded with the old part
possible broken a ribbon for face id. This is a common occurrence read up on ifixit.
JumpMan198029/07/2020 11:07

Or maybe give them a chance to fix the problem before jumping on board the cancel-train...
JosephRedfern29/07/2020 11:11

Or maybe give them a chance to fix the problem before jumping on board the …Or maybe give them a chance to fix the problem before jumping on board the cancel-train...

Nah don’t bother with all that .. choo-choo, all aboard the cancellation train 🚂
The night train 🚂
🎶 🎶 🎶
Give them a chance this guy cracks me up
the.porter29/07/2020 11:12

Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but again you get what you pay for...

have you checked settings and tried redoing Face ID? Have you reset phone as well just in case?
I had a screen replacement on a 6S Plus a few years ago, and touch ID didn't work afterwards. I took it back and the guy said "yeah it stops working when you replace a screen, nothing you can do about it", I made a fuss and he refunded me and put the old screen back on. Found a friend of a friend who runs his own tech repair shop, got him to replace my screen and he said that was absolute nonsense and when he replaced my screen it worked fine.
Danny-29/07/2020 12:10

I had a screen replacement on a 6S Plus a few years ago, and touch ID …I had a screen replacement on a 6S Plus a few years ago, and touch ID didn't work afterwards. I took it back and the guy said "yeah it stops working when you replace a screen, nothing you can do about it", I made a fuss and he refunded me and put the old screen back on. Found a friend of a friend who runs his own tech repair shop, got him to replace my screen and he said that was absolute nonsense and when he replaced my screen it worked fine.

In order for touch Id to continue to work you just remove the old button from the display and put it on the new display as it is linked in some way. Possibly there is some similar 'feature' with face Id.
Bargainhead29/07/2020 12:02

Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but …Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but again you get what you pay for...have you checked settings and tried redoing Face ID? Have you reset phone as well just in case?

It’s a long story it started with the mic wasn’t working took it to apple who said it’s over 1 year old £400 or something like that sod that
so i took it back to fonehouse who said yes we will repair it ,it came back with same problem but new speakers lol
told them they said sod off we won’t touch it again, so looked on eBay and this is where we are upto
So when you replace the top microphone in your phone, the whole front camera assembly is also attached. Therefore it all gets replaced. The front camera which does Face ID is linked to your board inside the phone and cannot be switched to another device.

So as mentioned above, the ebay user has either scammed your front camera assembly(wouldn’t benefit him as it won’t work on another device unless he has the tools to pair it) or he has snapped a ribbon cable rendering Face ID useless.

Check his description to see if he mentioned anything about Face ID, but this is the risk you take with getting a Face ID enabled device screen replaced.
Edited by: "ReecesWaffle95" 29th Jul
You should have used an authorised repairer.
To make sure everything is secure, if a screen is replaced by an unauthorised repair place then Face/Touch ID won't work any longer.

see ifixit.com/Gui…195
the.porter29/07/2020 13:30

It’s a long story it started with the mic wasn’t working took it to apple w …It’s a long story it started with the mic wasn’t working took it to apple who said it’s over 1 year old £400 or something like that sod that so i took it back to fonehouse who said yes we will repair it ,it came back with same problem but new speakers lol told them they said sod off we won’t touch it again, so looked on eBay and this is where we are upto

Yes Apple expensive, but you get back working phone.. I hope you get it sorted.. send the repair guy a message see what happens...
jon81uk29/07/2020 14:46

You should have used an authorised repairer.To make sure everything is …You should have used an authorised repairer.To make sure everything is secure, if a screen is replaced by an unauthorised repair place then Face/Touch ID won't work any longer.see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Why+iPhone+X+Face+ID+not+work+after+repairing/102195

Nothing to do with the screen the 2 bottom mics are on the same board as the lightning port, that’s what’s been replaced but to get to the part you need to take everything out including the Face ID ,so I’m thinking he’s damaged the flex when replacing it but who knows 41525900-vprr6.jpg
Bargainhead29/07/2020 14:56

Yes Apple expensive, but you get back working phone.. I hope you get it …Yes Apple expensive, but you get back working phone.. I hope you get it sorted.. send the repair guy a message see what happens...

Agreed lesson learned I’m just trying to sort it with him now
Bargainhead29/07/2020 12:02

Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but …Get what you pay for, should of went to Apple. I know more expensive but again you get what you pay for...have you checked settings and tried redoing Face ID? Have you reset phone as well just in case?

Cant blame someone for trying to avoid being ripped off (i know they did end up being ripped off in a different way though)

There are cheaper (genuine) repair places that are much cheaper than apple and do an equal quality of service, exactly like car servicing. You'll find insurance companies will rarely send cars to the manufacturer for repairs due to the price.
I wouldnt ever pay for genuine apple repairs.
Depends what the underlying issue is with the face ID, when you got the phone back do you get a warning saying "failed to activate Face ID on this device". If you don't get that then you still have your original flex fitted. If that's the case it could be an issue with the Dot Projector or the flood illuminator, you can test those are functioning by going to either Face ID setup or Portrait mode on the camera and holding another phone over it with the camera on, you should be able to see the infrared lights at the top of the screen

It's possibly also just a dirty fingerprint been placed over the camera and is affecting the focus slightly, I have had that happen on occasion when replacing screens

If you do get that warning then the guy has replaced your top ribbon cable which is paired to the device and means that you won't ever have working Face ID again (without going to apple to have it calibrated out of warranty)
the.porter29/07/2020 15:34

Nothing to do with the screen the 2 bottom mics are on the same board as …Nothing to do with the screen the 2 bottom mics are on the same board as the lightning port, that’s what’s been replaced but to get to the part you need to take everything out including the Face ID ,so I’m thinking he’s damaged the flex when replacing it but who knows [Image]

That's the bottom 2 mics, there is also one up top near the earpiece and a 4th one on the back just under the rear camera. Depends which mic he attempted to replace.

Also you can remove that bottom flex easily without having to take everything out if you are experienced enough
the.porter29/07/2020 13:30

It’s a long story it started with the mic wasn’t working took it to apple w …It’s a long story it started with the mic wasn’t working took it to apple who said it’s over 1 year old £400 or something like that sod that so i took it back to fonehouse who said yes we will repair it ,it came back with same problem but new speakers lol told them they said sod off we won’t touch it again, so looked on eBay and this is where we are upto

Future ref: the original (UK) trader holds the mandatory legal guarantee obligations for up to 6 years, unless you live in Scotland. May have been worth approaching / reminding the trader to come to an agreement or notifying rejection prior to involving a 3rd party repair solution.
That said, the potential time/cost of attempting to enforce mandatory guarantee may not always be justifiable.
Neo160729/07/2020 18:09

That's the bottom 2 mics, there is also one up top near the earpiece and a …That's the bottom 2 mics, there is also one up top near the earpiece and a 4th one on the back just under the rear camera. Depends which mic he attempted to replace. Also you can remove that bottom flex easily without having to take everything out if you are experienced enough

It was my bottom mic which was defective
Bargainhead29/07/2020 14:56

Yes Apple expensive, but you get back working phone.. I hope you get it …Yes Apple expensive, but you get back working phone.. I hope you get it sorted.. send the repair guy a message see what happens...

I guess you've never watched louis rossman on youtube, then.
adamspencer9529/07/2020 20:10

I guess you've never watched louis rossman on youtube, then.

i know about him, he's mentioned quite a bit on diffrent apple threads. normally by apple haters (i'm not saying you are) but in genral. but how does that help op, my comment you get what you pay for is still valid, if you went to apple shop it would be sorted now..
Bargainhead29/07/2020 20:25

i know about him, he's mentioned quite a bit on diffrent apple threads. …i know about him, he's mentioned quite a bit on diffrent apple threads. normally by apple haters (i'm not saying you are) but in genral. but how does that help op, my comment you get what you pay for is still valid, if you went to apple shop it would be sorted now..

and if you actually watched a selection of his videos, you would realise that assertion is unfounded, and the standard of work at Apple is far from perfect.
adamspencer9529/07/2020 20:32

and if you actually watched a selection of his videos, you would realise …and if you actually watched a selection of his videos, you would realise that assertion is unfounded, and the standard of work at Apple is far from perfect.

if op took phone to apple to be fixed and it wasnt, op could take back and it would be sorted no problem. by going through a ebay repair man its caused op stress and phone still not working. hopefully op will get it sorted but if went to apple it would of been..
Right that's really odd. We can take a further look into that if you like

thats his response lol...
Edited by: "the.porter" 30th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants