No Idea Which TV We Should Buy...

12 replies
Found 11th Sep 2016
So, I know a few people on HUKD are seriously into TVs and tech in general, and I'm hoping for some well informed advice. We're looking at buying a new TV, our first one actually. We currently own a 720p projector and we're used to watching stuff on a screen that's massive.

So far we've been to a local shop and noticed the 4K sets look good. I work on a pretty his-res computer screen and I'm a sucker for quality. 4K seems like an obvious choice, but after reading some information on what size of TV to buy, I'm lost. Apparently there's "no point" in 4K if the screen is too small, or you're the wrong distance from the screen. In the shop we stood back as far as we think we sit from the projector at home and agreed that 55" looked like a sensible minimum size for us. We sit about 3.5m away and won't be changing this due to the room's layout.

We will be watching blu rays, streaming Youtube, NowTV and Amazon Prime. I will probably want a PS4 or XB1 once I have the TV so I want to take this into consideration.

We can't work out how much we have to spend, what spec to get (e.g UHD, 8/10 bit and all the other technical stuff I don't know much about) and what size screen to get. At first we were looking to spend around £600, but now it looks more like we might need a budget of around £1000. My girlfriend isn't too impressed about spending 1K on a TV, and I'm just not sure. If the spec' was significantly better I'd consider it.

Oh, and I know some retailers offer long warranties of 5/6 years, which I'd really like if we're spending so much!

Thanks for reading this waffle, feel free to make suggestions!

1. Ask
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
12 Comments

Just make sure it has real hdr and a 5 year warranty. Maybe hold off for a few months for the sales
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Sep 2016

If your near Walsall or Corby, argos have clearance centres there, that's where I got my 50" smart TV from as end of line stock, brand new sealed, just end of line, cost me £350 12 month warranty as normal

pop into richer sounds if there's one near by.they will talk u through everything for what u need.no pressure to buy just great knowledge and advice.avoid the likes of Curry's ect.they will just flog u anything

As above,Richer Sounds are the retailer to go to,just honest,and straightforward advice.

Original Poster

chocci

Just make sure it has real hdr and a 5 year warranty. Maybe hold off for … Just make sure it has real hdr and a 5 year warranty. Maybe hold off for a few months for the sales

How can you tell if it's "real" HDR? Is there something in the spec's that I need to look out for?

Original Poster

OK, I was thinking of a trip to Richer Sounds, seems like it's worth my while!

Whoa you're looking at 100" plus at 11.5ft away oO Place a book at that distance and if you can't read the text then you won't see a marked improvement in detail over 1080p.

would personally recommend the hisense brand, currently own the 58" set which was bought off ao for around £550, and my living room to TV distance is the same as yours. if you could, I'd get the 65" version (saw it a few days ago on here for £800 from John Lewis). both sets have HDR too

kester76

Whoa you're looking at 100" plus at 11.5ft away oO Place a book at that … Whoa you're looking at 100" plus at 11.5ft away oO Place a book at that distance and if you can't read the text then you won't see a marked improvement in detail over 1080p.

kester76

Whoa you're looking at 100" plus at 11.5ft away oO Place a book at that … Whoa you're looking at 100" plus at 11.5ft away oO Place a book at that distance and if you can't read the text then you won't see a marked improvement in detail over 1080p.

I agree - give me a top spec hdr 1080p over a 4k non hdr at the same price point.

cnet.com/uk/…id/

g3legacy

How can you tell if it's "real" HDR? Is there something in the spec's … How can you tell if it's "real" HDR? Is there something in the spec's that I need to look out for?

10 bit = hdr I believe

trustedreviews.com/opi…ned

Go and look at them in store and play with the features and scrutinise the picture, keep the 4k hdr in mind for the future proofing,

Hit the AV forums
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.2841
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…821
    3. Sonos Amazon Echo discount code beg thread23
    4. Wanted: Sweet Sundays code (5 points) please!!22

See more discussions