No Manners Anymore?

Found 30th Aug 2017
The more I read the Ask section these days, I'm seeing posts that aren't saying please or thank you.
Am I just being an old fart and it's just the way it is now?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
As you're asking a question. Shouldn't you have said "Thanks" at the bottom?

Old people of today, don't know they born
It's appears people demand information and people are willing to deliver it. Perhaps we have become so used to asking search engines for information, its habit to no longer express gratitude. Information delivery has no nice bits :).
hairray8 m ago

It's appears people demand information and people are willing to deliver …It's appears people demand information and people are willing to deliver it. Perhaps we have become so used to asking search engines for information, its habit to no longer express gratitude. Information delivery has no nice bits :).

Not me...most of the time

I won't give an answer unless there's some manners. You've maybe seen one or two of my recent comments.

But yes I'm an old fart....like the OP

I was brought up to respect my elders, always say please and thank you etc etc

Since the kids of 1970's this no longer exists and tis why our country has gone down the pan into the sewage. In the 80's it was then mixed with the discharge from the chemical plants then travelled onto the treatment works and in the 21st century where after treatment it's released only to be contaminated by nuclear radiation
Lol I saw your comment on the other thread that prompted you to post this (see my response there) and all i'll say is you're one to talk;

hotukdeals.com/dis…602

hotukdeals.com/dis…459

Plenty more examples in your history. It's just a forum, don't expect manners. Especially from this place.
My son has moved to Holland. He finds hardly anyone says please of thank you. I work in a hospital front line and I find very few East Europeans say please or thank you. Or even sorry for butting in. It does annoy me. I believe poor parental and educational input to blame
I work in a supermarket, very rarely get a please or thank you, it's usually the older people who would say it.
Bhav0077 h, 41 m ago

Lol I saw your comment on the other thread that prompted you to post this …Lol I saw your comment on the other thread that prompted you to post this (see my response there) and all i'll say is you're one to talk;https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/so-i-cant-rip-my-cd-2247602https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/what-is-it-with-fag-smoke-2451459Plenty more examples in your history. It's just a forum, don't expect manners. Especially from this place.

Ooooooooooops. I'm sending myself to the naughty corner with no breakfast.
I've never send anyone a voucher code when they have no manners.
It is unfortunately a sign of the times.

It's not just in forums, it's the way people talk and act, some people need educating on how to be a parent.

Too many parents these days don't teach their kids anything, let alone how to respect others, or how to be courteous.
My family have been making fun of me this week because whenever I ask Alexa (Amazon dot) anything, I always say please, eg Alexa could you set the timer for 30 minutes,please.

They think I'm mad, but as I explained if I let my manners drop with her, what if I loose them in real life too? ..
tinkerbellian4 m ago

My family have been making fun of me this week because whenever I ask …My family have been making fun of me this week because whenever I ask Alexa (Amazon dot) anything, I always say please, eg Alexa could you set the timer for 30 minutes,please.They think I'm mad, but as I explained if I let my manners drop with her, what if I loose them in real life too? ..

Surely you can distinguish between a person and a box...
RossD8911 m ago

Surely you can distinguish between a person and a box...

Trust me dealing with the general public in one of my jobs, I actually find the Alexa can be more pleasant at times and probably more deserving of a please and thank you I think it's just in built that if I ask for something it's followed with please.
tinkerbellian12 m ago

Trust me dealing with the general public in one of my jobs, I actually …Trust me dealing with the general public in one of my jobs, I actually find the Alexa can be more pleasant at times and probably more deserving of a please and thank you I think it's just in built that if I ask for something it's followed with please.

Fair enough
philphil6112 h, 47 m ago

Not me...most of the timeI won't give an answer unless there's some …Not me...most of the timeI won't give an answer unless there's some manners. You've maybe seen one or two of my recent comments.But yes I'm an old fart....like the OP I was brought up to respect my elders, always say please and thank you etc etcSince the kids of 1970's this no longer exists and tis why our country has gone down the pan into the sewage. In the 80's it was then mixed with the discharge from the chemical plants then travelled onto the treatment works and in the 21st century where after treatment it's released only to be contaminated by nuclear radiation

Not true. I was born mid 80s, I know when and how to use manners. As for the respect elders, age doesn't deserve respect. Respect deserves respect. I always hold doors, say please and thank you, where appropriate. Some older folks are far more rude than the youths. Annoys me when I don't get a thank you for holding a door, but I continue to do it anyway.

There's far more going on in this world to get upset about than someone not smiling at you and saying thank you.
i am very polite as i have been brought up that way. i go out of my way to say please and thank you and hold doors open for other people behind me etc. however on an internet forum where you ask questions, i take more of a grateful attitude when someone posts an answer that really helps so i always thank them or like their comment.

i sometimes put thanks in the original post but not always as i like to be sincere with my thank you and so would rather thank the helpful person who has replied to by question individually rather than a bland thank you to all and everyone.

i rarely put please in the original post unless i am desperate, like my pc has packed up and i need urgent help as please to me signify urgent request for help on an ASK.

as someone else has said, etiquette for the net is different to that in the real world, as also are people's behaviour. i have come across so many rude and nasty people on hukd that i would never expect to come across in the real world, where people don't dare to say such rude and nasty things to one's face. the internet brings out the worst in people as they know there is no repercussion to their actions most of the time and so they can behave in a way that they would never dare do in real life.
xfaxfa4 h, 34 m ago

Not true. I was born mid 80s, I know when and how to use manners. As for …Not true. I was born mid 80s, I know when and how to use manners. As for the respect elders, age doesn't deserve respect. Respect deserves respect. I always hold doors, say please and thank you, where appropriate. Some older folks are far more rude than the youths. Annoys me when I don't get a thank you for holding a door, but I continue to do it anyway. There's far more going on in this world to get upset about than someone not smiling at you and saying thank you.

I'm sorry how is it not true?
Yes you may be a very rare educated person from a good background that had good parenting that taught you manners and respect but just because the odd person has respect and manners doesn't mean the world hasn't changed.Just look at all the current news, social media and lets not forget the tv documentaries.
Just because you are special, which is appreciated by some, doesn't mean my comment is not true.
philphil6120 h, 38 m ago

I'm sorry how is it not true? Yes you may be a very rare educated person …I'm sorry how is it not true? Yes you may be a very rare educated person from a good background that had good parenting that taught you manners and respect but just because the odd person has respect and manners doesn't mean the world hasn't changed.Just look at all the current news, social media and lets not forget the tv documentaries.Just because you are special, which is appreciated by some, doesn't mean my comment is not true.

Don't watch the news, it's a distraction tool. Mainstream media is always manipulated. And what you're saying is making out all of the world's problems are down to anyone aged 45 or under (roughly). This really is not true. And if since the 70s people have been brought up without manners then the only people to blame here are the previous generations for failing in their job of raising them properly. Also let's not forget the worst period in history, 1939-1945.

Seriously, don't let something so small wind you up so much. There's far more wrong with this world than the lack in manners.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 1st Sep 2017
xfaxfa37 m ago

Don't watch the news, it's a distraction tool. Mainstream media is always …Don't watch the news, it's a distraction tool. Mainstream media is always manipulated. And what you're saying is making out all of the world's problems are down to anyone aged 45 or under (roughly). This really is not true. And if since the 70s people have been brought up without manners then the only people to blame here are the previous generations for failing in their job of raising them properly. Also let's not forget the worst period in history, 1939-1945.Seriously, don't let something so small wind you up so much. There's far more wrong with this world than the lack in manners.

i agree with this. age has nothing to do with whether you are polite or not. i have come across old folks who are extremely rude and teenagers who are extremely polite. it is all about how you have been brought up and how you personally think you should behave. age is not an excuse for anyone's behaviour towards others.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants