Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

No provisional, is there a work around to drive legal without.

Posted 29th May
currently you can not apply for a provisional licence. I would like to take my daughter out and teach her how to drive. but she hasn't got a provisional licence.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Bigfootpete29/05/2020 12:46

If there are any large car parks around take her out on a Sunday when it's …If there are any large car parks around take her out on a Sunday when it's quiet to drive around the car park.It's not perfect but you're not as likely to get in trouble.

This is terrible advice.
Bigfootpete29/05/2020 12:58

It's not advice, it's a suggestion.

If not advice, it's a terrible suggestion
Believe she can drive on private road/land if general public have no access. Car parks are not suitable.
Plus, I don't think you'd be able to get a valid insurance policy for her if she doesn't have a provisional licence.
48 Comments
Unless she's classed as a key worker (who can still apply) then nope. She'll have to wait.
Plus, I don't think you'd be able to get a valid insurance policy for her if she doesn't have a provisional licence.
Believe she can drive on private road/land if general public have no access. Car parks are not suitable.
deleted1163056
I don't think "taking my daughter on a driving lesson" is an essential journey, anyway, is it?
unfortunately as there is not many cars about right now, you would be easily caught by law enforcement
deleted116305629/05/2020 12:04

I don't think "taking my daughter on a driving lesson" is an essential …I don't think "taking my daughter on a driving lesson" is an essential journey, anyway, is it?

neither is going to the beach but thats allowed. Id say learning to drive is more important since it can help progress in life.
without a provisional i think only way would be private land
Have you seen the young driver courses? They’re for ages 10-17 and teach basics like biting point, gear changes etc.... with no need for provisional licence. Not sure how it works with lockdown/social distancing but might be a safer way for your daughter to learn for now?
If there are any large car parks around take her out on a Sunday when it's quiet to drive around the car park.

It's not perfect but you're not as likely to get in trouble.
Unless you have private land or know of someone with private land, then she can’t learn to drive.

If there are any large car parks around take her out on a Sunday when it's …If there are any large car parks around take her out on a Sunday when it's quiet to drive around the car park.It's not perfect but you're not as likely to get in trouble.

This is terrible advice.
I don't know what level your daughter is but this may help: citycardriving.com/

You have to do the "boring" stuff like 5 point check, seat belt, ignition, clutch, engage gear, indication... etc etc.
deleted1163056
SmokinAce729/05/2020 12:23

neither is going to the beach but thats allowed. Id say learning to drive …neither is going to the beach but thats allowed. Id say learning to drive is more important since it can help progress in life. without a provisional i think only way would be private land

going for exercise is allowed

(we agree on the point going to a crowded beach is a bad idea btw, but that's what the law says)

going for driving lessons isn't, unless it is 'related to work'
awesome29/05/2020 12:52

This is terrible advice.

Bigfootpete29/05/2020 12:58

SmokinAce729/05/2020 12:23

neither is going to the beach but thats allowed. Id say learning to drive …neither is going to the beach but thats allowed. Id say learning to drive is more important since it can help progress in life. without a provisional i think only way would be private land

I disagree. Ive never learned to drive and it hasnt hindered my progress at all.
You need to contact DominicCummings@gov.uk , I'm sure he'd be OK with it!
Edited by: "richp" 29th May
richp29/05/2020 13:11

You need to contact DominicCummings@gov.uk , I'm sure he'd be OK with it!

Op should just claim his daughter is testing her eyesight if they get pulled over.
All good advice but at the end of the day no licence, no insurance makes it illegal unless on someones private property with permission.
Deal.hunter12329/05/2020 13:08

I disagree. Ive never learned to drive and it hasnt hindered my progress …I disagree. Ive never learned to drive and it hasnt hindered my progress at all.

Do you live in London by any chance?

It's the only part of the country where not having a car doesn't hinder your employment prospects.
spoo29/05/2020 13:29

Do you live in London by any chance? It's the only part of the country …Do you live in London by any chance? It's the only part of the country where not having a car doesn't hinder your employment prospects.

Recently moved to London,

It didn't hinder it in Wales or Liverpool either.
deleted1163056
Deal.hunter12329/05/2020 13:32

Recently moved to London, It didn't hinder it in Wales or Liverpool either.

I think in any city with good public transport it's fine, but with the way public transport is being cut there aren't many suburban or rural areas where it wouldn't at least be a problem...
Does she know the highway code back to front in preparation for a test?
Does she know what to look for to make sure (to the best of a driver's capability) that a vehicle is legal to take on the road?
Does she know how to change a wheel or check fluid levels?
If not, then she should be taught these details while she is not in a position to learn how to control a vehicle. But the fact that you appear to have no understanding of the law does imply that you are not the best person to be instructing her.
Whilst a supermarket car-park is often private ground, it has the distinct disadvantage of being open to the public, and the free movement of pedestrians and vehicles, all of whom will not be expecting to have to jump out of the way of a kangerooing car.
If you could get permission to practice on gated land, where any other access would be treated as trespass, only then would you stand a chance of being anywhere near legal.

The Road Traffic Act states that any person who uses or permits a vehicle to be used on “a road or other public place” must have the minimum of third party insurance cover.

You do not have to have insurance if the private land is an area to which the public do not have access. However, you would need insurance if the vehicle is on private land to which the public do have access. This can include “private” car parks, campsites, private estates etc. The term “public place” is far more wide ranging than most people appreciate.
Edited by: "TristanDeCoonha" 29th May
deleted11933
.Griff.29/05/2020 11:46

Unless she's classed as a key worker (who can still apply) then nope. …Unless she's classed as a key worker (who can still apply) then nope. She'll have to wait.

If true that would be the loophole. Find a part-time job for her that is keyworker..
Deal.hunter12329/05/2020 13:08

I disagree. Ive never learned to drive and it hasnt hindered my progress …I disagree. Ive never learned to drive and it hasnt hindered my progress at all.

I never said it would, I said it can help, depending where a person lives it could enable access to different places public transport does not or jobs where driving is required.

awesome29/05/2020 12:52

This is terrible advice.

this is how I learned

I expect they meant terrible advice, given the current circumstances
Mendoza29/05/2020 15:34

this is how I learned I expect they meant terrible advice, given the …this is how I learned I expect they meant terrible advice, given the current circumstances

It is terrible advice, full stop. If she has no licence, then any insurance will be invalid.
TristanDeCoonha29/05/2020 17:25

It is terrible advice, full stop. If she has no licence, then any …It is terrible advice, full stop. If she has no licence, then any insurance will be invalid.

you don’t need insurance if you pop your L’s on

or have things changed?
Any vehicle driven in an area where the public has access, must be insured to cover the liability. If the area has access to the highway, that is not securely gated whilst the vehicle is in movement, then the vehicle must have all other documentation up to date. This would include MOT and VED.
We do not know the age of the supervising driver, who lack of knowledge of current road law is a little worrying. This person must be over 21, and have been in possession of a full driving licence for at least 3 years. Any failure in that would mean the supervisor is liable for points, and the insurance may be invalidated, which then makes the driver liable for points.
The "L" plate gives you no exception from the law, unless you are driving a certain advisor to his Specsavers appointment.
AndyRoyd29/05/2020 13:04

That's your opinion, I would do it without hesitation. There's no-one around to crash into so no problem.
Mendoza29/05/2020 17:35

you don’t need insurance if you pop your L’s onor have things changed?

Not true.

You don't need your own insurance when training with a registered instructor. The instructor's insurance will cover that.

When driving a private/family car, the insurance provision provided to instructors isn't included. You need to be named on the policy (or on another policy which allows you to drive other vehicles - but this is a condition unlikely to be offered to anyone with a provisional license).
Bigfootpete29/05/2020 17:59

That's your opinion, I would do it without hesitation. There's no-one …That's your opinion, I would do it without hesitation. There's no-one around to crash into so no problem.

Until the police turn up and have you for no insurance.
deleted1163056
TristanDeCoonha29/05/2020 17:42

Any vehicle driven in an area where the public has access, must be insured …Any vehicle driven in an area where the public has access, must be insured to cover the liability. If the area has access to the highway, that is not securely gated whilst the vehicle is in movement, then the vehicle must have all other documentation up to date. This would include MOT and VED.We do not know the age of the supervising driver, who lack of knowledge of current road law is a little worrying. This person must be over 21, and have been in possession of a full driving licence for at least 3 years. Any failure in that would mean the supervisor is liable for points, and the insurance may be invalidated, which then makes the driver liable for points.

my driveway doesnt have a gate separating it from the highway
deleted116305629/05/2020 18:42

my driveway doesnt have a gate separating it from the highway

Can it be reasonably expected for the public to access to that drive, and to be able to wander around? Can they do so with your full permission, or are they trespassing?
Can you actually drive the vehicle on that driveway, or can you only propel it forwards/backwards resulting in exiting that drive?
deleted1163056
TristanDeCoonha29/05/2020 18:59

Can it be reasonably expected for the public to access to that drive, and …Can it be reasonably expected for the public to access to that drive, and to be able to wander around? Can they do so with your full permission, or are they trespassing?Can you actually drive the vehicle on that driveway, or can you only propel it forwards/backwards resulting in exiting that drive?

but now you're just changing what you said

but yes, I've had a couple of the neighbours' dogs poo on my drive. long enough to drive up and down without leaving the driveway
miikeyblue29/05/2020 18:04

Not true.You don't need your own insurance when training with a registered …Not true.You don't need your own insurance when training with a registered instructor. The instructor's insurance will cover that.When driving a private/family car, the insurance provision provided to instructors isn't included. You need to be named on the policy (or on another policy which allows you to drive other vehicles - but this is a condition unlikely to be offered to anyone with a provisional license).

so things have changed then

back in my day... etc etc
shelliebish29/05/2020 12:37

Have you seen the young driver courses? They’re for ages 10-17 and teach b …Have you seen the young driver courses? They’re for ages 10-17 and teach basics like biting point, gear changes etc.... with no need for provisional licence. Not sure how it works with lockdown/social distancing but might be a safer way for your daughter to learn for now?

Age 10?!

That's pretty funny considering by the time they are old enough to drive, there is going to be a whole lot more electric cars on the road so no crappy clutch to deal with.

I'm a 100% automatic fan, manual cars are for plebs.
Post a comment
@
    Text