No uproar, no international condemnation, hidden away media coverage

Found 8th Dec 2017
Because it doesn't involve Donald Trump?

China has lifted a coal ban (you could say "cancels climate change commitment") and there is no public outcry, no protesting, no climate change scientist condemning this outrageous act.

Now, personally, I've never assumed that China was ever meeting it's goals in Climate Change Agreement. Both China and India are two of the worst polluting nations on this planet. And yes the USA has issues with gas guzzling motors / rollin' coal truckers / {insert any excuse to use petrol - just like the NRA has excuses for gun ownership}

But where are the media? Where is the protests? Where is the global condemnation?

Or is it OK when China/Xi Jingping or other country ignores Climate Change Policies and would it be OK if Obama did the same but it's just never OK when Donald Trump sanctions something

gbtimes.com/chi…age

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

philphil619 m ago

And?Why (the official reason only please) did Donald Trump pull the USA …And?Why (the official reason only please) did Donald Trump pull the USA out of the Paris Accord? Why is there very little coverage in the mainstream media of China's failure to comply with the Paris Accord and also their current return to using vast amounts of coal?If you can give valid arguments to substantiate why there's a difference between how Donald Trump gets treated by the media and how China/Xi Jingping gets treated on the Paris Accord then I'm sure you will win over some of those "Trump supporters"Unfortunately you won't win me over.... as previously stated I'm not a Trump supporter - the USA went to the polls and voted and the outcome was that Trump was democratically elected as POTUS. I hope he does MAGA and proves the minority, the media and their funders all wrong but only time will tell.

Stretching the facts to extremes doesn't really help anyone.

China have removed the ban on burning coal, temporarily. This is a fact that i guess nobody can dispute. Did they do it because the suddenly don't believe in man made climate change? No.
Did they do it to score political points? Why would they need to?
Did they do it because it is winter and some places have no alternatives to coal in place yet and the temperatures are hitting sub zero? It looks like it.

There are loads of things we can criticise China for, this isn't really one of them.
27 Comments

Original Poster

"China's Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) has released an emergency notice temporarily ending the ban on using coal fires as a result of the growing public outrage caused by the heating shortage.

The document states that areas which have not finished replacing coal-based heaters to clean energy heaters can return to burning coal or other alternative methods, Chinese media The Paper reports."

China's ludicrous policies - no surprise.

Original Poster

davewave2 m ago

China's ludicrous policies - no surprise.

And no surprise that the mainstream media have failed to publicise China's failures.

I've been to China and the pollution is unbelievable. If you are in a plane, you hit it at about 10000 feet like you would a cloud base but you never get through it. When you get down to street level, there are hundreds of people cleaning and gardening and maintaining a beautiful environment. Such a shame they can't treat the air they breathe with the same respect.

The biggest takeaway from this story is that China had implemented a coal-ban in the first place. This year, China cancelled construction on 47 plants. Thats pretty impressive - they seem to moving very quickly. Not quick enough to have alternatives in place for winter so they have lifted the ban, for heating, temporarily over winter.

I have no idea though - while bituminous coal burning is banned here - is it banned in the USA or other countries?

They have a lot of work to do, but China is moving in the right directions, setbacks like this don't help, but they had removed coal heaters from schools according to that article.

How will they ever make all the tat that gets peddled for Gearbest and the like if they're not burning off 10million tons of coal every day?

Josh.Rogan1 h, 33 m ago

The biggest takeaway from this story is that China had implemented a …The biggest takeaway from this story is that China had implemented a coal-ban in the first place. This year, China cancelled construction on 47 plants. Thats pretty impressive - they seem to moving very quickly. Not quick enough to have alternatives in place for winter so they have lifted the ban, for heating, temporarily over winter.I have no idea though - while bituminous coal burning is banned here - is it banned in the USA or other countries?They have a lot of work to do, but China is moving in the right directions, setbacks like this don't help, but they had removed coal heaters from schools according to that article.

Mate - using facts and actually reading the details doesn’t serve the purpose here - it’s to make us believe Trump is a great great leader and how the media just have it in for him....

I’d agree the commitment China has shown is remarkable- and they needed to show it - but they can’t ignore their dependency on it short term.

but those facts don’t appeal to certain people.

Original Poster

joanddan713 m ago

Mate - using facts and actually reading the details doesn’t serve the p …Mate - using facts and actually reading the details doesn’t serve the purpose here - it’s to make us believe Trump is a great great leader and how the media just have it in for him....I’d agree the commitment China has shown is remarkable- and they needed to show it - but they can’t ignore their dependency on it short term.but those facts don’t appeal to certain people.

And?

Why (the official reason only please) did Donald Trump pull the USA out of the Paris Accord?

Why is there very little coverage in the mainstream media of China's failure to comply with the Paris Accord and also their current return to using vast amounts of coal?

If you can give valid arguments to substantiate why there's a difference between how Donald Trump gets treated by the media and how China/Xi Jingping gets treated on the Paris Accord then I'm sure you will win over some of those "Trump supporters"

Unfortunately you won't win me over.... as previously stated I'm not a Trump supporter - the USA went to the polls and voted and the outcome was that Trump was democratically elected as POTUS. I hope he does MAGA and proves the minority, the media and their funders all wrong but only time will tell.

Oooh yes, a good excuse for some china bashing!

Those evil Chinese they are terrible you know.

philphil616 m ago

And?Why (the official reason only please) did Donald Trump pull the USA …And?Why (the official reason only please) did Donald Trump pull the USA out of the Paris Accord? Why is there very little coverage in the mainstream media of China's failure to comply with the Paris Accord and also their current return to using vast amounts of coal?If you can give valid arguments to substantiate why there's a difference between how Donald Trump gets treated by the media and how China/Xi Jingping gets treated on the Paris Accord then I'm sure you will win over some of those "Trump supporters"Unfortunately you won't win me over.... as previously stated I'm not a Trump supporter - the USA went to the polls and voted and the outcome was that Trump was democratically elected as POTUS. I hope he does MAGA and proves the minority, the media and their funders all wrong but only time will tell.

You summed up exactly what my response was going to be in one line “Unfortunately you won’t win me over”

Why would I waste time and effort stating the obvious when people like you make your own facts and agendas.

If someone is democratically appointed it should never mean they are above question - it would be lunacy to hide behind the word democracy - much like hate speech shouldn’t hide behind - free speech.

Again none of this will mean anything to you -

MAGA

philphil619 m ago

Stretching the facts to extremes doesn't really help anyone.

China have removed the ban on burning coal, temporarily. This is a fact that i guess nobody can dispute. Did they do it because the suddenly don't believe in man made climate change? No.
Did they do it to score political points? Why would they need to?
Did they do it because it is winter and some places have no alternatives to coal in place yet and the temperatures are hitting sub zero? It looks like it.

There are loads of things we can criticise China for, this isn't really one of them.

this is why i now only
get my news from
fox news RT and Facebook and POTUS tweets only sources of reputable news these days
Edited by: "mattmerch" 8th Dec 2017

This is a response to a crisis.

The Chinese government told cities concerned to "continue to ensure that the number one principle should be keeping people warm in winter". Should they let them die?

Where has the pertinent information in this story disappeared to between me reading about this and posting here? might be a more fruitful enquiry OP.

I can see the birth of a meme here. China helps citizens rather than running them over with tanks. World outraged.

pollution per person, china Vs USA about 2;1 or more,
pollution data
We are above average , but still less than Germany.
California the eighth largest economy , still supports the Paris Accord.
Plastic is teh nu enemy.

Blah blah blah, if carbon is accessible in the ground then ultimately it's either going in the air or being fixed into environmentally unfriendly plastic. If you won't burn it then somebody else will. The ridiculous fixation on emissions targets does absolutely nothing but stroke the egos of the middle classes in developed nations, and allows a few to get very rich by feeding said egos. What use are your stupid solar panels when globally emissions are still going up?

32676411-nfSG5.jpg
Edited by: "Rubisco" 8th Dec 2017

Original Poster

GwanGy1 h, 30 m ago

pollution per person, china Vs USA about 2;1 or more, pollution dataWe are …pollution per person, china Vs USA about 2;1 or more, pollution dataWe are above average , but still less than Germany.California the eighth largest economy , still supports the Paris Accord.Plastic is teh nu enemy.

Someone who has attempted to provide factual data...hooray

The Paris Accord
"The deal relies on voluntary pledges from signatory countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and provides economic incentives for developing countries to invest in renewable energy infrastructure, which can be cost prohibitive for poorer nations compared to legacy energy sources like coal and oil.

In signing the climate agreement in 2014, Mr Obama pledged that the US would make $3 billion in payments to that fund over four years. Roughly $1 billion of that commitment had been paid out by the time Mr Trump took over the White House, promising to end those payments.

But, while the Paris agreement was was a major and historic deal — and came after years of efforts by the international community to figure out what sort of agreement could be palatable enough to get widespread support — it fell short of having mandatory emissions cuts for individual countries, and did not impose mandatory donations to the fund."

The problem with the above is that the USA were having to cough up $3bn and still try to meet targets whilst China and other similar nations were receiving funding and flouting the agreement because the targets were not mandatory. Some countries were "playing the field"

As I said I'm no Donald Trump supporter, I don't like USA's big car/big engine/gas guzzling/rolli' coal, I don't like USA's gun ownership/gun laws/2nd Amendment and not excluding their dietary/obese plus other

but having said all that Donald Trump is trying to MAGA. In 1988 he was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and he made sense then and he make sense now except he's not from the political elite genre

Yes as a politician he needs some serious advice, as a human being he needs educating but wanting what is best for his country and now having some say in doing that - let him have his shot it's only 4 years - if he screws up then the voters will know they screwed up.

As for all the other responses (bait or whatever) you failed to omit the issue is that because Donald Trump did something he thought is best for America and the "world" is against him Xi Jingping does something best for China and nobody bats an eyelid

philphil6142 m ago

Someone who has attempted to provide factual data...hoorayThe Paris …Someone who has attempted to provide factual data...hoorayThe Paris Accord"The deal relies on voluntary pledges from signatory countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and provides economic incentives for developing countries to invest in renewable energy infrastructure, which can be cost prohibitive for poorer nations compared to legacy energy sources like coal and oil.In signing the climate agreement in 2014, Mr Obama pledged that the US would make $3 billion in payments to that fund over four years. Roughly $1 billion of that commitment had been paid out by the time Mr Trump took over the White House, promising to end those payments.But, while the Paris agreement was was a major and historic deal — and came after years of efforts by the international community to figure out what sort of agreement could be palatable enough to get widespread support — it fell short of having mandatory emissions cuts for individual countries, and did not impose mandatory donations to the fund."The problem with the above is that the USA were having to cough up $3bn and still try to meet targets whilst China and other similar nations were receiving funding and flouting the agreement because the targets were not mandatory. Some countries were "playing the field"As I said I'm no Donald Trump supporter, I don't like USA's big car/big engine/gas guzzling/rolli' coal, I don't like USA's gun ownership/gun laws/2nd Amendment and not excluding their dietary/obese plus other but having said all that Donald Trump is trying to MAGA. In 1988 he was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and he made sense then and he make sense now except he's not from the political elite genre[Video] Yes as a politician he needs some serious advice, as a human being he needs educating but wanting what is best for his country and now having some say in doing that - let him have his shot it's only 4 years - if he screws up then the voters will know they screwed up.As for all the other responses (bait or whatever) you failed to omit the issue is that because Donald Trump did something he thought is best for America and the "world" is against him Xi Jingping does something best for China and nobody bats an eyelid

I don't give a toss what trump does tbh. I remember the cold war when mad ronnie had his finger on the button, trump is old news as far as i'm concerned. Eat drink and be merry cos tomorrow one of these mad ****s will probably kill us all

philphil6146 m ago

As for all the other responses (bait or whatever) you failed to omit the …As for all the other responses (bait or whatever) you failed to omit the issue is that because Donald Trump did something he thought is best for America and the "world" is against him Xi Jingping does something best for China and nobody bats an eyelid

No mate, the issue here is that you built a strawman.

Probably best just to let this thread die. It was rubbish to start with and it didn't get any better.

philphil6112 h, 0 m ago

"China's Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) has released an …"China's Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) has released an emergency notice temporarily ending the ban on using coal fires as a result of the growing public outrage caused by the heating shortage.The document states that areas which have not finished replacing coal-based heaters to clean energy heaters can return to burning coal or other alternative methods, Chinese media The Paper reports."

Dastardly swines burning coal rather than letting the population freeze to death.

qbs32 m ago

Dastardly swines burning coal rather than letting the population freeze to …Dastardly swines burning coal rather than letting the population freeze to death.

IKR?
You'd think they'd all huddle together like penguins or something.

CoeK46 m ago

Probably best just to let this thread die. It was rubbish to start with …Probably best just to let this thread die. It was rubbish to start with and it didn't get any better.

Aye, no need to chuck any more coal on the fire for this one!

philphil612 h, 50 m ago

Someone who has attempted to provide factual data...hoorayThe Paris …Someone who has attempted to provide factual data...hoorayThe Paris Accord"The deal relies on voluntary pledges from signatory countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and provides economic incentives for developing countries to invest in renewable energy infrastructure, which can be cost prohibitive for poorer nations compared to legacy energy sources like coal and oil.In signing the climate agreement in 2014, Mr Obama pledged that the US would make $3 billion in payments to that fund over four years. Roughly $1 billion of that commitment had been paid out by the time Mr Trump took over the White House, promising to end those payments.But, while the Paris agreement was was a major and historic deal — and came after years of efforts by the international community to figure out what sort of agreement could be palatable enough to get widespread support — it fell short of having mandatory emissions cuts for individual countries, and did not impose mandatory donations to the fund."The problem with the above is that the USA were having to cough up $3bn and still try to meet targets whilst China and other similar nations were receiving funding and flouting the agreement because the targets were not mandatory. Some countries were "playing the field"As I said I'm no Donald Trump supporter, I don't like USA's big car/big engine/gas guzzling/rolli' coal, I don't like USA's gun ownership/gun laws/2nd Amendment and not excluding their dietary/obese plus other but having said all that Donald Trump is trying to MAGA. In 1988 he was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and he made sense then and he make sense now except he's not from the political elite genre[Video] Yes as a politician he needs some serious advice, as a human being he needs educating but wanting what is best for his country and now having some say in doing that - let him have his shot it's only 4 years - if he screws up then the voters will know they screwed up.As for all the other responses (bait or whatever) you failed to omit the issue is that because Donald Trump did something he thought is best for America and the "world" is against him Xi Jingping does something best for China and nobody bats an eyelid

The difference in China is that if they dont like the party in government they can vote them out...oh wait no its a one party elite party dictatorship.

davewave29 m ago

The difference in China is that if they dont like the party in government …The difference in China is that if they dont like the party in government they can vote them out...oh wait no its a one party elite party dictatorship.

Dear Dave, could it be that China is a communist country by any chance?

Bestard32 m ago

Dear Dave, could it be that China is a communist country by any chance?

'Communist' is far too simplistic a description of China, it doesn't surprise me that you asked that question. 'Crony-Capitalist' is perhaps a closer description - perhaps read up further on China.

davewave4 h, 43 m ago

The difference in China is that if they dont like the party in government …The difference in China is that if they dont like the party in government they can vote them out...oh wait no its a one party elite party dictatorship.

Very true China are a one party elite party dictatorship. Doesn't really have anything to do with the pointless criticism from the OP though.
Post a comment
@
    Text