Nokia 5530 - not possible to use on '3' network?

Found 8th Feb 2011
Quick question - looking for a new deal on my unlocked Nokia 5530. 3 offer some good deals, but I have a feeling that the 5530 isn't compatible with 3.

Anybody know for sure, please?

5 Comments

It's not 3g compatible as it only operates on 2G frequencies (GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) not 3G 2100 Mhz, According to Three, they will terminate the sim card / service if you put one of their cards in it.

gsmarena.com/nok…php
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 8th Feb 2011

Closest thing would be the 5800 which is similar but has 3G, so would work fine with Three

Original Poster

Thanks, guys - thought as much. I'll cross 3 off the list then. (_;)

simplyjimbo

According to Three, they will terminate the sim card / service if you put … According to Three, they will terminate the sim card / service if you put one of their cards in it.

What's this about? I've heard a similar claim a few times (in short, that putting a 3 SIM in a non-three phone gets your phone and SIM blocked), but I've been using a non-3 phone for months without any repercussion. I've told 3 on various occasions quite openly that I'm not using a 3 phone. Is this one of those unenforced T&C things, an urban myth, or have I just been lucky or something?

dxx

What's this about? I've heard a similar claim a few times (in short, … What's this about? I've heard a similar claim a few times (in short, that putting a 3 SIM in a non-three phone gets your phone and SIM blocked), but I've been using a non-3 phone for months without any repercussion. I've told 3 on various occasions quite openly that I'm not using a 3 phone. Is this one of those unenforced T&C things, an urban myth, or have I just been lucky or something?

The main concern with 3 is that you use a phone with 3G capabilities this stops their network having to use a 2G signal which their systems don't like or have available which I believe they don't have a spectrum license for. I guess you'll be ok as your phone is meeting the technical requirements of their network and just as importantly giving them revenue without any issues.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. iPhone 7 or 834
    2. Compensation from an 02 refresh default22
    3. Have you been to Nandos?59
    4. Buying digital codes off another person11

See more discussions