Groups

Nokia 5800

Banned
    Daughtert looking for new phone, she was wanting the LG cookie, but has changed her mind and looking at the nokia 5800, anybody got this phone and had any probs with it

22 Comments

Good range of software for it (Symbian 60 v4). The reviews all look good, just don't sit down with it in your back pocket I've seen 2 posts from people who've broken the screen this week !!

Banned

i had it for 3weeks then got rid of it wasn't happy with it

1. time would always lag when phone is not in use and im not talking about 2-3mins i mean liek 4-5hours lol so alarm would never go off
    2. touchscreen not very responsive have to double tap for each thing to open
    3. can be quiet slow to respond

Original Poster Banned

ooops sorry not into phones so dont know about software and stuff, she always carrys it in her front trouser pocket - lol

Original Poster Banned

PabloInTheSky;4732627

i had it for 3weeks then got rid of it wasn't happy with it

any particualr reason?

i have had the 5800 for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. my first touch screen phone and i love it. My time has always been correct and the double tap thing is nothing to do with the responisveness of the screen but the software itself, its meant to do that, just like you double click icons on a computer. Pabloln must have had a dodgy handset. Anyone iv spoken to really likes theirs.

Original Poster Banned

mcfallg;4732749

i have had the 5800 for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. my first … i have had the 5800 for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. my first touch screen phone and i love it. My time has always been correct and the double tap thing is nothing to do with the responisveness of the screen but the software itself, its meant to do that, just like you double click icons on a computer. Pabloln must have had a dodgy handset. Anyone iv spoken to really likes theirs.

thanks, she didnt like it at 1st but has been reading up on it and now quite likes it, just dont want her to get it and then start having all sorts of probs, as its me that then has to sort it out - lol

PabloInTheSky;4732627

i had it for 3weeks then got rid of it wasn't happy with it1. time would … i had it for 3weeks then got rid of it wasn't happy with it1. time would always lag when phone is not in use and im not talking about 2-3mins i mean liek 4-5hours lol so alarm would never go off2. touchscreen not very responsive have to double tap for each thing to open 3. can be quiet slow to respond

all the probs you had can all be sorted out by a firmware update.

i've got this phone and think its brilliant...

Original Poster Banned

is the firmware update easy to do, and do you need to keep re-doing it

sassie;4732996

is the firmware update easy to do, and do you need to keep re-doing it

its really simple to do.. you can connect the phone to your pc do the update via nokia software updater or even do the update via the phone through wifi using OTA (over the air)

Original Poster Banned

Raf;4733037

its really simple to do.. you can connect the phone to your pc do the … its really simple to do.. you can connect the phone to your pc do the update via nokia software updater or even do the update via the phone through wifi using OTA (over the air)

how often does this need to be done?

great phone i've had one for about 6 weeks now no problems really a few niggles but that's just me, to update phone if you dial *#000# it will bring up software number, and theres an option to check nokia to update, it will do it via gprs or if you have wireless router then the 5800 can connect via that and not cost anything, also you get a sleeve type case which is quite robust if you use this then you shouldn't damage the screen

In uk we tend to get the latest firmwares really late, this is do to due network providers. They customise the firmwares then release it... but many people can't wait and they tend to change the product code of the phone to get the latest firmware update (i'm on of them).... this does void your warranty.

sassie;4733048

how often does this need to be done?

You should update your phone everytime a new firmware is released by nokia it is recommended..

Original Poster Banned

OMG i knew it was going to start sounding all complicated :oops:

sassie;4733141

OMG i knew it was going to start sounding all complicated :oops:

lol.. trust me its no.. just pm me if you need any help

Original Poster Banned

thank you raf, got to phone on saturday for the upgrade, although i think i will end up getting a new contract so i can get the cashback via a cashback site, cant see t-mobile giving me anything i cant already get from cpw

if you haggle and be nice you might just get lucky

thats what i did with tmobile

Original Poster Banned

Raf;4733233

if you haggle and be nice you might just get lucky

this phone is on the upgrade but like i say i can get this as a new customer so they aint offering me anything for being a customer for years, will have to push and see what they can do, but not expecting anything

try to get a line rental discount aswell

I've been impressed with ths 5800, I expected it to be a buggy mess to basically test the new OS ahead of the N97. However I've had few problems on my 5800, it has all the functionality you'd expect from Series60 but one of the main bonuses has been the excellent reception - the 5800 can seem to hold a network connection and even data where other phones can't even get a network connection.

While I like the basic functional interface, many are put off by it - don't expect anything flashy, it's just the standard S60 with bigger icons and not much else.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …268914
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764562
      3. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1231
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416714128

See more discussions