Groups
    EXPIRED

Nokia 5800 - Contract or purchase phone only

My daughter is wanting the Nokia 5800 for Christmas

She is already on T-Mobile and we pay £20 per month which includes unlimited texts, 600 minutes and free internet.

What is the best deal about at the moment for this phone, either buying or contract

Thank you

21 Comments

for the 5800 you are better off buying PAYG. If you scount around then you will get a cracking deal on a brand new one. Check out any vouchers or discount codes as well.

One site was selling them for £165 brand new and they were unlocked and unbranded.

£160 new no contract...when does her contract finsish!!

play.com/Mob…nre

Prepaymania ones are probably unlocked,same price as play

grabbit;6544180

Prepaymania ones are probably unlocked,same price as play

another bit of terrible advice...probably unlocked...they are not unlocked but locked to what ever network you buy for....come on guys lets help the OP not lead them on a goose chase..:)

All phones from PrePayMania, e2Save, CPW and Phones4U are unlocked and unbranded despite them advertising them as network specific.

Fact. :thumbsup:

rob585;6544287

another bit of terrible advice...probably unlocked...they are not … another bit of terrible advice...probably unlocked...they are not unlocked but locked to what ever network you buy for....come on guys lets help the OP not lead them on a goose chase..:)

Any phones I have previously bought from prepaymania have been unlocked regardless of whether it said they were on a certain network on their website which is the reason I said probably

In the case of the OP it wouldn't matter ,locked or unlocked,as the OP plans to use the tmobile network as that is what the contract they are already using is on!

Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. It is a monthly contract so we can end it when we like by giving a months notice.

Original Poster

This may be a really stupid question but are the Nokia 5800 and the 5800 XpressMusic the same phones?

Thank you

Kirsty262;6544694

This may be a really stupid question but are the Nokia 5800 and the 5800 … This may be a really stupid question but are the Nokia 5800 and the 5800 XpressMusic the same phones? Thank you

yes with a slightly different firmware but in essence the same phones, same functions ETC

check out my thread hotukdeals.com/ite…nli i got the htc magic so i dont see why you wont be able to get a 5800

StevenA2000_uk;6544103

for the 5800 you are better off buying PAYG. If you scount around then … for the 5800 you are better off buying PAYG. If you scount around then you will get a cracking deal on a brand new one. Check out any vouchers or discount codes as well.One site was selling them for £165 brand new and they were unlocked and unbranded.:)

Why do you say that PAYG is better ? First you have to shell out £160 or so and then buy your plan / price your usage. I don't know why that would be so much better than a deal on a contract.

From the FAQ at prepaymania

""All our Pre Pay Phones are locked to their respective networks & come with an already registered sim
    Technically, your existing sim will work with a pre-pay of the same network. ( i.e existing Orange sim in an Orange Pre-Pay)
    However we do have a great range of discounted Sim Free Mobiles at www.prepaymania.co.uk""

rob585;6546246

From the FAQ at prepaymania""[COLOR="Red"]All our Pre Pay Phones are … From the FAQ at prepaymania""[COLOR="Red"]All our Pre Pay Phones are locked [/COLOR]to their respective networks & come with an already registered sim Technically, your existing sim will work with a pre-pay of the same network. ( i.e existing Orange sim in an Orange Pre-Pay) However we do have a great range of discounted Sim Free Mobiles at www.prepaymania.co.uk""

They are NOT all locked

StevenA2000_uk;6544325

All phones from PrePayMania, e2Save, CPW and Phones4U are … All phones from PrePayMania, e2Save, CPW and Phones4U are [COLOR="Red"]unlocked and unbranded despite them advertising them as network specific[/COLOR].Fact. :thumbsup:

grabbit;6544355

Any phones I have previously bought from prepaymania have been … Any phones I have previously bought from prepaymania have been [COLOR="Red"]unlocked regardless of whether it said they were on a certain network on their website [/COLOR]which is the reason I said probablyIn the case of the OP it wouldn't matter ,locked or unlocked,as the OP plans to use the tmobile network as that is what the contract they are already using is on!

Take note of the bits referring to....regardless of what prepaymania say on their website,experience says different

Just one of the many examples that prove this...

hotukdeals.com/ite…833

Kirsty262;6544676

Thank you for your replies. It is a monthly contract so we can end it … Thank you for your replies. It is a monthly contract so we can end it when we like by giving a months notice.

If your happy to take a new contract you'll get the phone free

Original Poster

Yes I would be prepared to take a new contract but not sure which would work out cheapest. Freee phone with contract
    or
    Pay for the phone and keep the £20 a month sim

Kirsty262;6547206

Yes I would be prepared to take a new contract but not sure which would … Yes I would be prepared to take a new contract but not sure which would work out cheapest. Freee phone with contract orPay for the phone and keep the £20 a month sim

Definately wouldn't work out benefical to keep on that contract your on,I thought earlier you were stuck with the contract for the time being,but if you've fulfilled your obligations to it your definately better without it,

Do you have a preference of networks? You'd get something with a similar amount of free calls and texts that you have now,the phone free and certainely not have to pay anymore than you are doing now per month

Original Poster

grabbit;6547540

Definately wouldn't work out benefical to keep on that contract your on,I … Definately wouldn't work out benefical to keep on that contract your on,I thought earlier you were stuck with the contract for the time being,but if you've fulfilled your obligations to it your definately better without it,Do you have a preference of networks? You'd get something with a similar amount of free calls and texts that you have now,the phone free and certainely not have to pay anymore than you are doing now per month

Not really although myself and my husband are both on virgin (pay as you go). Would like her to keep her number too

She has also just seen the Samsung Genio on tv and likes that too

Which is the best phone Nokia 5800 or Samsung Genio?

Just by way of a quick example,not saying this is the best deal you could get as I haven't really checked out whats available but just to give you an idea to start with,see

tiny.cc/ed5my

You get your pac code from tmobile,port it to vodafone,continue to pay the same £20 per month line rental as you are now,get 300 mins & unlimited texts,the 5800 phone free and £100 cashback from quidco,

There are plenty of other options out there too,some with free wap like you have now and some with more cashback by redemption

If you have totally free options then you have to consider the periodic options on SIM only with cashback of around £100/120.

As ever, cost of phone-cashback+length of contract*monthly charge= ? and as long as you fall within the plan limits, you can pick the cost effective option.

if you want to go for the genio this may be of interest,but obviously the nokia one is a better phone

hotukdeals.com/ite…0-q

If you're organised you could go to mobiles.co.uk and get:
    Free Nokia 5800
    Your Plan 300 (12 months) - 11 months half price
    300 minutes + Unlimited Texts with Vodafone Passport
    Quidco = £40
    works out to be £15.62 per month

or Samsung Jet for £14.17 per month
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Why do my deal votes go up or down by 2° on each vote?44
      2. Cordial....11
      3. Hi Wonder if anyone can help...I urgently need to buy a laptop today , up t…23
      4. Family Spotify account32

See more discussions