Nokia 5800 Discussion Thread

Found 3rd Feb 2009
A place to discuss everything about the new Nokia 5800.

Feel free to ask questions, give advice, recommend apps/themes, share new things you discovered your phone can do.

Try to stay on topic..

To subscribe to this thread, click 'Thread Tools' underneath this box, and then 'Subscribe to this Thread'.

26 Comments

Have you tried ,Menu,Internet ,Facebook,
Dont use facebook myself
The first thing i put on was Google maps

The reviews says it runs Symbian 60 as the op system so there should be a stack of software for it. Just google Symbian 60 software and see what you get.

[url]www.symbian-freeware.com[/url] is a good resource - your 5800 uses Symbian 60 (S60) version 5, so googling "S60 5th edition software" will bring up results.

As for email, go to [url]email.nokia.com[/url] on your PC and register using your Hotmail account credentials. they'll send a link to your phone for the software ready configured to receive your emails on a "push" basis.

Another good place to look is [url]betalabs.nokia.com/[/url] - it's where all the new official Nokia software gets tested and then released.

And also try [url]mosh.nokia.com[/url] - it's the same as the betalabs place expect they open it up to software created by small developers

For sharing pictures to Facebook, use the "ShareOnline" application built into the phone. It'll be under the "media" section in the main menu. Fill in your Flickr/Facebook/whatever details and then when you've taken a picture and choose the "send" option, those accounts will appear as options.

Any news on this 'comes with music' service that has been spoken about?

5800 I believe doesn't come with this, or at least, doesn't come with it yet.

highguyuk;4268514

5800 I believe doesn't come with this, or at least, doesn't come with it … 5800 I believe doesn't come with this, or at least, doesn't come with it yet.

That's my understanding, there's certainly no sign of it on the phone or in the box.

John

I think the "comes with music" bit was dropped at the last minute on this phone :-(

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, will rep you all.

Thats reassuring about the apps. Has anyone got a recommendation for a remote desktop app?

As for facebook, Im not able to do it. The facebook icon in Internet just links to facebook! And In sharing options I dont have facebook.

Also regarding the email 'pushing' there is no option for the 5800 on the link provided. Can I just use another phone/

Thanks again

Anyone having freezing issues?

Took my first photos on this phone today in the snow and whenever I try to view them using the media bar thing the phone just freezes up.
Same with some videos i've transfered off my pc.
any idea what to do? I don't really want to reset it if it's not going to help.

Croftybaby;4273357

Anyone having freezing issues?Took my first photos on this phone today in … Anyone having freezing issues?Took my first photos on this phone today in the snow and whenever I try to view them using the media bar thing the phone just freezes up.Same with some videos i've transfered off my pc. :(any idea what to do? I don't really want to reset it if it's not going to help.

what firmware have you got,Just type *#0000# using the keypad and see what the firmware is
te latest is 11.0.08 ,If yours is not this then click on update,

Also check that you dony have too many apps open at the same time,Presss the menu button then options then show open apps,You should only have menu and home open,

Cheers for the reply. 11.0.08 is the firmware i'm running.
Decided to re-format the memory card, took some pictures and they seem to be coming up ok so I will see how it goes. Got the phone from the carphone warehouse so will play about with it for a while and if it mucks me around it can go back within the 14 days. I think.

Blimey! Look at you all talking about re-formatting, firmware and applications!! I just got this phone after having a motorola razor for nearly 4 years..and I can hardly manage to text on it, let alone go on the internet!!? Think I cut someone off today when they tried to ring me too!! But then, I am really old!! (well I certainly feel it when I'm trying to figure out all this technology!)
Have to say that I'm really impressed with the phone so far - 4 days in, and I can type a message in more than one way?!!

Original Poster

I decided to change the title to 'Nokia 5800 Discussion Thread' as it seems a lot of people have things to discuss about the Nokia 5800 but have no where to say it - So this is the new Nokia 5800 discussion thread!

Can it be hacked?

rash;4276203

Can it be hacked?

To do what? The term 'hacked' on its own doesn't really mean anything in this context.

John

Johnmcl7;4277743

To do what? The term 'hacked' on its own doesn't really mean anything in … To do what? The term 'hacked' on its own doesn't really mean anything in this context.John

The same way most of the symbian can be hacked to install unsigned software.

Original Poster

Anyone got a case for theres?

This looks good for the money amazon.co.uk/Xpr…1-8

rash;4277955

The same way most of the symbian can be hacked to install unsigned … The same way most of the symbian can be hacked to install unsigned software.

I still don't see what you're requesting here, I am aware of the option in S60 phones to set which means the phone will install unsigned software but that's a standard option not a hack - I assume you're referring to something else?
John

Original Poster

So anyone got any apps to share?

Im after a remote desktop access app if anyone has any recommendations!!

Johnmcl7;4284517

I still don't see what you're requesting here, I am aware of the option … I still don't see what you're requesting here, I am aware of the option in S60 phones to set which means the phone will install unsigned software but that's a standard option not a hack - I assume you're referring to something else?John

Something like this:

symbian-freak.com/new…htm

Anyone got theirs from 02 directly? I've got one being delivered tomorrow, but I want to use my existing Orange sim in it.. I've read that 02 don't lock their handsets so I might be in luck, but can anyone confirm? Or, let me know where I can get it unlocked as I can't find anywhere online!

edit... the phone was delivered last night, yay. And yes it is unlocked, double yay.

Is anyone else having problems connecting to live.com (hotmail)?. I am on T-Mobile.

i tried installing fring on my vodafone branded one and it says certificate error or comes up with vodafones restricted area etc..i want some type of messenger on my 5800,ebuddy done the same too

Rhythm;4268331

As for email, go to [url]email.nokia.com[/url] on your PC and register … As for email, go to [url]email.nokia.com[/url] on your PC and register using your Hotmail account credentials. they'll send a link to your phone for the software ready configured to receive your emails on a "push" basis.

Push e-mail is not supported on this phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text