Nokia 770 internet tablet HELP THREAD

Banned 356 replies
Found 13th Jul 2007
Many people have taken advantage of one of the offers found here on HUKD from expansys for the Nokia 770. They have just started shipping today after a long wait!

It was suggested to start a thread in the forum for people to share their experiences of this bulk purchased device by HUKDers. Most will probably get theirs either Saturday or Monday.

So with that in mind.... let the thread begin!

357 Comments

Brilliant--i am so in need of this :-D :-D :-D

guv, I don't know why you don't have full green bars yet! It's nice to see someone so helpful on the forum, and you are nearly at 500 QUALITY posts. Keep up the good work ;o) (and have some more rep)

damn, I need to spread the rep round before giving you more!!

Screen protector for the N770 touch-screen
]Discussion thread
Martin Fields protector ]here or ]here or ]here
Brando protector ]here

Bluetooth GPS module (to use the N770 as a Sat Nav)
Discussion ]thread and ]another
i-Blue 737 ]here (also sells on ebay)
Car mount here (for Archos, but works for N770) EDIT: mods removed the ebay.com link that I posted. Hopefully I'm allowed to say that the item was a "Car Windshield Vent & Dash Mount for Archos AV320 AV340". It's not my item - I've just ordered one based on a discussion and recommendation that I read in the Internettablettalk forums - I'm just trying to help others.
Information about maemo mapper (freeware mapping software) - ]http//hi…er/

Original Poster Banned

bazzaric

guv, I don't know why you don't have full green bars yet! It's nice to … guv, I don't know why you don't have full green bars yet! It's nice to see someone so helpful on the forum, and you are nearly at 500 QUALITY posts. Keep up the good work ;o) (and have some more rep)

Why thank you that nice man! :giggle:

guv

Why thank you that nice man! :giggle:

Welcome to the full bar club - i have just repped you :lol:

For anyone who missed out on the cheap 2GB RS-MMC cards at SVP, the same model is available for £7.99 + £1.49 P&P here bigpockets.co.uk/
I don't think it's dual voltage, but it is said to be compatible with the N770 and, as others have said, you probably won't notice a difference in speed compared with mobileMMC cards costing twice as much.

Original Poster Banned

emasu

Welcome to the full bar club - i have just repped you :lol:

Shucks! Im geting quite embarrased!:giggle:

Many thanks!

Original Poster Banned

Connecting to the net?

OK, I think we all know the device has wireless connectivitey. Meaning it can be connected to any hotspot (plus subscription if needed and not a free hotspot) and also to your home network via WiFi.

You can also use your phone (if it has a modem and WiFi) to gain access using WiFi as well as Bluetooth.

I have a MDA Vario 2, which I have used on my Laptop to get decent speeds using the 1.7Mb connection speeds its capable of and connected via USB. Ive not seen anywhere (yet!) that talks about connecting via USB. I assume because using the modem in this way, would mean a driver install and as such not going to be possible.

Anyone know if using WiFi or Bluetooth to connect, would mean a reduction in speeds that this modem is capable of - or is it not relevant?

Could someone tell me if there would be any great advantage to having one of these as opposed to a PSP (which I already have), I quite fancy it, but the PSP has wireless internet capability. Just trying to source a keyboard for the PSP, seen one just not for sale !!!

Thanks.

Ali

alictait

Could someone tell me if there would be any great advantage to having one … Could someone tell me if there would be any great advantage to having one of these as opposed to a PSP (which I already have), I quite fancy it, but the PSP has wireless internet capability. Just trying to source a keyboard for the PSP, seen one just not for sale !!!Thanks.Ali

Here is a snippet of a forum I was reading I hope it is of use:

I'll second Akira's take on the PSP. I've had one since the Japanese laucnh and while it's an awesome unit for gaming, browsing without a touchscreen on a handheld device sucks. Obviously, an on-screen keyboard is nothing compared to a physical keyboard, but it's much better than the current text input solution on the PSP.

Beyond that, I like the resolution better on the 770 for browsing. 480 on the PSP is cetainly better than many PDAs at 320, but 800 on the 770 is even better than VGA PDAs at 640. This really should limit the amount of horizontal scrolling on most web pages which should translate into a more natural desktop/laptop browsing feel.

As Akira pointed out, there are lots of unknowns. We need to see final production models operating to make true judgement calls on the 770. It has promise, but questions like real-world battery life, page loading times, WiFi range, MSRP, etc will ultimately decide its fate. However, I can say from current experience with the PSP that it's not an adequate browsing solution.

And here is a link to the whole PSP V's N770 Thread: internettablettalk.com/for…205

guv

Shucks! Im geting quite embarrased!:giggle: Many thanks!

Way to go BIG guy oops I mean guv ;-)

Original Poster Banned

johnnie

"it's much better than the current text input solution on the PSP.""I … "it's much better than the current text input solution on the PSP.""I like the resolution better on the 770 for browsing. 480 on the PSP is cetainly better than many PDAs at 320, but 800 on the 770 is even better than VGA PDAs at 640. This really should limit the amount of horizontal scrolling on most web pages which should translate into a more natural desktop/laptop browsing feel.""However, I can say from current experience with the PSP that it's not an adequate browsing solution.

Ive seen several adverse comments on the PSP and thought it was mostly down to the screen resolution which youve just confirmed.

johnnie

Here is a snippet of a forum I was reading I hope it is of use:I'll … Here is a snippet of a forum I was reading I hope it is of use:I'll second Akira's take on the PSP. I've had one since the Japanese laucnh and while it's an awesome unit for gaming, browsing without a touchscreen on a handheld device sucks. Obviously, an on-screen keyboard is nothing compared to a physical keyboard, but it's much better than the current text input solution on the PSP. Beyond that, I like the resolution better on the 770 for browsing. 480 on the PSP is cetainly better than many PDAs at 320, but 800 on the 770 is even better than VGA PDAs at 640. This really should limit the amount of horizontal scrolling on most web pages which should translate into a more natural desktop/laptop browsing feel.As Akira pointed out, there are lots of unknowns. We need to see final production models operating to make true judgement calls on the 770. It has promise, but questions like real-world battery life, page loading times, WiFi range, MSRP, etc will ultimately decide its fate. However, I can say from current experience with the PSP that it's not an adequate browsing solution.And here is a link to the whole PSP V's N770 Thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205

Thanks Johnnie, The lack of a keyboard is huge disadvantage, but wether I could actually justify this aswell as the PSP is the question.

Thanks again + rep.

Ali

Original Poster Banned

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Useful accessories![/SIZE][/COLOR]

USB Charger. Charge the device using the USB port on your PC to the charger port on the N770. (Credit to Johnnie for the idea!) (It is possible to charge USB to USB - but would require modification to the N770.)

]£2.75 Delivered

Or Cheaper still

]£0.85 Delivered.

Its unconfirmed if this will work 100% - but I have seen a site that claims these cables are compatible. Ive personally ordered both (As have a few others) - and will report back in a week or so if successful or not!

Screen protector. Dont ruin the screen. Keep a protector sheet on it to ensure you dont scratch it.

]£0.85 delivered

Says its 4.3" so should fit. If it doesnt just use it for something else!

All links are to DealExtreme who are based in Hong Kong, but are reliable and very cheap. Ive personally used them a few times without any problems. These particular items are inclusive of delivery - so even better - and far cheaper than fleabay.

Hi i have ordered one and can some one tell me if it has maps for europe as i would like to use it as a navigator as well.

also can someone please show me the link for where the maps are as the list of all the programs for its doest specify. thanks and also cant wait for this.

instant messaging client :thumbsup: with install instructions

pidgin.garage.maemo.org/

guv

[COLOR=red][SIZE=4]Useful accessories![/SIZE][/COLOR]USB Charger. Charge … [COLOR=red][SIZE=4]Useful accessories![/SIZE][/COLOR]USB Charger. Charge the device using the USB port on your PC to the charger port on the N770. (Credit to Johnnie for the idea!) (It is possible to charge USB to USB - but would require modification to the N770.) ]£2.75 DeliveredOr Cheaper still]£0.85 Delivered.Its unconfirmed if this will work 100% - but I have seen a site that claims these cables are compatible. Ive personally ordered both (As have a few others) - and will report back in a week or so if successful or not!Screen protector. Dont ruin the screen. Keep a protector sheet on it to ensure you dont scratch it.]£0.85 deliveredSays its 4.3" so should fit. If it doesnt just use it for something else!All links are to DealExtreme who are based in Hong Kong, but are reliable and very cheap. Ive personally used them a few times without any problems. These particular items are inclusive of delivery - so even better - and far cheaper than fleabay.

I have repped you as well. This kind of advice is what makes this place great! These devices seem too cheap to be true. Are they really that good? The reason I ask is that I had a Sony Ericsson M600i and had no end of trouble with the device freezing and cutting me off half through a call etc etc.

Original Poster Banned

Foxy102

I have repped you as well.

Thanks

This kind of advice is what makes this place great! These devices seem … This kind of advice is what makes this place great! These devices seem too cheap to be true. Are they really that good? The reason I ask is that I had a Sony Ericsson M600i and had no end of trouble with the device freezing and cutting me off half through a call etc etc.

Are you referring to the N770? There are reports of some bugs and freezing, but this does seem to be on the older version. DaveLFC has his already and no doubt putting it through its paces. Got any first views so far Dave? (BTW its now ever cheaper from play.com - see other thread in forum for details - think its £69.99 inc delivery - but no stock until 20th July - the date exansys get theirs!)

Mine wont arrive until Tuesday....

The cables from dealextreme should be completely fine. Its not so much they are cheap, but that accessories suppliers normally too damn expensive! Haing said that, the cheaper cable for £0.85 delivered seems crazy! I'd have thought the postage would be at least that! Obviously though they are hoping you will order several things (which I have) so that "free" postage part would be spread out.

Just a quick question, you know the N770 do you need to use a router or something to get it online?

Original Poster Banned

t0mm

Just a quick question, you know the N770 do you need to use a router or … Just a quick question, you know the N770 do you need to use a router or something to get it online?

It connects via either WiFi or Bluetooth.

Either via a WiFi Access Router, Phone WiFi or bluetooth, or WiFi hotspots.

okidoki, do you know where the cheapest ones are? bar from play.com

Original Poster Banned

t0mm

okidoki, do you know where the cheapest ones are? bar from play.com

For the N770?

Play is the cheapest at £69.99 delivered, followed by expansys at £81 delivered.

Does this have a word processor on it, and would it be ideal for college?

guv

DaveLFC has his already and no doubt putting it through its paces. Got … DaveLFC has his already and no doubt putting it through its paces. Got any first views so far Dave? .

Well I'm pretty pleased with it so far although my carpet cleaner arrived at the same time so I had to attend to that first.

The tablet is smaller than I expected, for some reason I expected something bigger but that does not mean I am disappointed. The screen is very clear although I need to magnify the pages to read most text in the forums I visit.

I was pleased that it handled my internet banking website with no problems and the only real downer has been that I can't access the e-season football ticket at Liverpoolfc.tv, although to be fair I did not expect that.

I installed 'gizmo' which is very similar to skype and you get $0.25c to start you off. You can chat with other gizmo members for free but also call any landlines/mobiles for reduced rates. I haven't actually spoken to anyone on the device yet but will use my $0.25c to call my friend in Australia tomorrow,

I started playing with this without even bothering to look at the manual, (well that's the way you shoulld do it) and it's pretty easy to work out. When you are in any application you simply press the third key down (looks like a page of text) and you get a menu with different options for that application. it's the equivalent of the 'file' menu on the top right of a page on a pc.

I haven't tried music on it yet but the one video file that came with it is crisp and clear on the screen, so I'm hoping to find some compatible files in the coming months.

Wifi set up was easy, the pages load reasonably quickly. Certainly not the 15 seconds someone mentioned in another thread. I'm finding that I have to click links and icons a few times to get a response but that could be me (I'm impatient)

The 2GB memory card from SVP went in like a dream and I've already set it up to act as virtual memory (which you do from the control panel) and I set it to 64mb which is the highest setting.

The initial screen can be customized really easily and different apps swapped and moved around (like a google or yahoo home page)

Email is basic but again easy to set up. I couldn't read one email I received from pixmania but I've not had the time to mess with all of the settings and I've probably not set the size limit high enough to handle it.

Writing is a hassle, I wouldn't like to have to write a large email to someone and using the handwriting recognition is mich worse. Although I think there is a learning app on the device so I'll try that. The problem I have already found is that the virtual keyboard takes up so much of the screen, it can't be helped though as the screen isn't that big. I keep wanting to enter text with my thumbs (like a phone) but that just isn't going to happen.

One annoying thing is that you cannot take the stylus out or put it back when the device is in it's protective case even though you can still use the n770 and all of the other buttons. A small adjustment of the case with a dremmel or similar tool will solve this for me.

This was always going to be something I used when away working, having access to free hotspots so I can pick up some mail and surf a few websites. For me it isn't going to be an essential tool that I'll carry around with me, i don't think I'd be very happy if I was stuck with it although it's much better than lugging a laptop around and better than my nokia n80 (which has wifi but is a joke to use on the net)

I hope those random wafflings helped.

Got my n770 today - mighty impressed!

Very clear interface when controlling XBMC via web.

Does anybody know of any SIP clients for the N770 that will support Voipcheap, voipbuster, etc.?

Ta

I've tried putting gmail settings in but not working, guess its to do with various security settings, i've enabled pop in gmail, any help would be appreciated. Like it so far!!

Found it ]here

Any idea how to turn off all connectivity for use on board a plane?

thx in advance

(good isn't it!)

Press the power button once and 'offline mode' is one of the options listed.

tommyt

Got my n770 today - mighty impressed!Very clear interface when … Got my n770 today - mighty impressed!Very clear interface when controlling XBMC via web.Does anybody know of any SIP clients for the N770 that will support Voipcheap, voipbuster, etc.?Ta

I can't find a sip client for it. But in Gizmo you can set up a secondary account which could be any other sip provider. You can also set the gizmo client to always use this account for outgoing calls.
Look up Dual login on the gizmo help pages. I have tried it and it does work.

Nigel

davelfc

Press the power button once and 'offline mode' is one of the options … Press the power button once and 'offline mode' is one of the options listed.

Genius!

thanks ...

I like the Vista theme you can download...in case anyone's interested...

can you pop a simm card in it from your mobile? as i have TMOBILE's web and walk so would I be able to get on the net anywhere with that?

bb_tech

Screen protector for the N770 touch-screen]Discussion threadMartin Fields … Screen protector for the N770 touch-screen]Discussion threadMartin Fields protector ]here or ]here or ]hereBrando protector ]hereBluetooth GPS module (to use the N770 as a Sat Nav)Discussion ]thread and ]anotheri-Blue 737 ]here (also sells on ebay)Car mount here (for Archos, but works for N770)

which is the archos car mount thats suitable?

Mine appears to be dead - white screen with grey bars at the left-hand side. Filled in an RMA form already.

Dang-it, I was really looking forward to playing around with this on my Vista MCE.

Just a couple of questions. I have tried myself but to no avail.

1... Can I change the "AccuRadio HitKast" to something like "Radio One" on the main page?

2... I have HUKD as my Webpage Shortcut. Can I add more than one?

3... The Homepage when browsing goes to the N770 website. I would prefer this went somewhere else. Any ideas?

4... Really sorry to fire loads of questions at you guy's. I know we have only just got it and want to play more ;-) I will endeavour to solve this issues in the meantime.

P.S. I am well impressed with the device. Glad it turned out better then some posts would have had us to believe :thumbsup:

Help....mine won't turn on!

When the charger is plugged in no sign that its charging.

I press the power button and the Nokia logo comes on then goes off straight away, doh

Do you think its a faulty charger?

planetdannii

Help....mine won't turn on!When the charger is plugged in no sign that … Help....mine won't turn on!When the charger is plugged in no sign that its charging.I press the power button and the Nokia logo comes on then goes off straight away, dohDo you think its a faulty charger?

Are you using the original charger or an old Nokia one with the adapter? Also if you have a volt meter you may want to test the voltage output from the charger. Give the charger a bit of a wiggle and see if it's loose connection. That's for starters.

And I really didn't want to mention this part... But you did insert the battery right? (I know. I know. But believe me as an IT Instructor I've seen some crazy things :giggle: )

I have checked everything, no luck. I received a nokia 2 pin charger and an adapter (I think thats very pants by the way),,,it must be a faulty adapter,grrrr!!!!

johnnie

Just a couple of questions. I have tried myself but to no avail.1... Can … Just a couple of questions. I have tried myself but to no avail.1... Can I change the "AccuRadio HitKast" to something like "Radio One" on the main page?2... I have HUKD as my Webpage Shortcut. Can I add more than one?3... The Homepage when browsing goes to the N770 website. I would prefer this went somewhere else. Any ideas? [COLOR="Red"]Goto the page you want as the homepage. Using the stylus press on the home icon and leave it there for a few seconds. Select appropriate option.[/COLOR]4... Really sorry to fire loads of questions at you guy's. I know we have only just got it and want to play more ;-) I will endeavour to solve this issues in the meantime.P.S. I am well impressed with the device. Glad it turned out better then some posts would have had us to believe :thumbsup:

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3593
    2. black friday dates for halfords11
    3. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…66
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226663

See more discussions