nominate Joanna Lumley for Woman Of The Year award

30 replies
Found 21st May 2009
nominate Joanna Lumley for Woman Of The Year award

easy to do - either phone or email

she has not only fought for the gurkhas - she has shown that public opinion can change laws

Woman of the Year - Nominating Council

If you wish to nominate a woman for consideration for a Women Of The Year award please contact Women Of The Year via our contact form

Phone: 020 8732 8874
Fax: 020 8202 1820
Email: [email protected]womenoftheyear.co.uk

womenoftheyear.co.uk/nom…htm

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
30 Comments

Banned

No thanks - very cringe-inducing.

srry she wouldnt even make the top 10,000 women of the years there are millions of women out there who work long hours helping people for free EVERY DAY,

what will joanna do now? nada ?

Woman of the year has to be Jackie Smith...look how much entertainment she has raised over the past few weeks and funds she has got back now.

also would she have done it if

1. she wasnt rich

and

2. a gurkha hadnt saved her dad

i think not

Original Poster

[QUOTE=jamstaruk1972;5279659]srry she wouldnt even make the top 10,000 women of the years there are millions of women out there who work long hours helping people for free EVERY DAY,

[COLOR="Red"]i know - i would like to think i am one of them [/COLOR]

what will joanna do now? nada ?[/QUOT

i think she is more worthy than ...............say for example .... jade goody:p

I can see why some people would vote for her...

I have just watched her on the news and thought she was convincing in her discussions.

[QUOTE
i think she is more worthy than ...............say for example .... jade goody:p[/QUOTE]

not a great arguement for her winning woman of the year award :roll:

Banned

I think she's done a decent job.

But woman of the year? What a pathetic cringworthy award that sounds.

Yep, pleased for the Ghurkas and think they probably wouldn't have achieved the result as quickly without JL's involvement in the campaign.

Person of the year awards aren't really my thing, but if anyone should be honoured, it's probably that couple who ran the campaign from their house. JL might have been the front person for the media, but it was their brainchild from what I can gather.

And it was probably a lot easier for JL to give her time to this issue than for them. She's a rich woman and can afford to do what she likes. Her status has also been immeasurably enhanced by her involvement in this campaign. Reward enough I think.

She will probably go and see the southern lights now :whistling:
A woman with a personal agenda does not make woman of the year. She did a good job, but thats about it really. But lets not pretend that she would have been too bothered had she not had a personal debt to them. This also does her career no harm at all, I personally now can't wait to see her on "I'm a celeb get me out of here" :roll:
Not that she did it for that reason, but she will benefit from it.

vote for jordan

Banned

Vote Jade Goodie

vote for hazel blears.............

oh, sorry, wrong thread - i thought it was "greedy, self-serving, snout-in-trough, poisoned dwarf of the year" - my mistake

scrumpypaul;5280393

vote for hazel blears.............oh, sorry, wrong thread - i thought it … vote for hazel blears.............oh, sorry, wrong thread - i thought it was "greedy, self-serving, snout-in-trough, poisoned dwarf of the year" - my mistake

lol I would vote for her for the 'Big hair of the year' award

scrumpypaul;5280393

vote for hazel blears.............lol, KLASS!! Very witty rep left for … vote for hazel blears.............lol, KLASS!! Very witty rep left for you. made me have a giggle. :thumbsup:oh, sorry, wrong thread - i thought it was "greedy, self-serving, snout-in-trough, poisoned dwarf of the year" - my mistake

i nominated Joanna Lumley great thread,think she is doing a great job:thumbsup:

Scribbles;5280409

lol I would vote for her for the 'Big hair of the year' award

hmmm, sorry to burst your bubbles scribbles, but she'd be disqualified

she doesn't have "big hair"

she instead possesses a very small head

I'm voting for XSpoiledPrincessX.

ill vote her just to stop jade goody winning..scary!

Banned

dxx;5280674

I'm voting for XSpoiledPrincessX.

I second that!

jamstaruk1972;5279659

what will joanna do now? nada ?

I wont claim to know all her duties or workloads but I do know she will continue to be the patron of an animal sanctuary near where I live.

jamstaruk1972;5279701

also would she have done it if1. she wasnt rich and 2. a gurkha hadnt … also would she have done it if1. she wasnt rich and 2. a gurkha hadnt saved her dadi think not

This may come as a surprise to you, but some people tend to campaign or raise money for charities/causes that are close to them. Whether it's running marathons in support of cancer charities or local hospices, or starting a campaign that led to ]sarahs law or ]amber alert people will participate where they have been personally affected.

Have you ever supported campaigns or charities without that personal connection (donating a few quid out of your pocket doesn't count)? I could pre-judge you and insert "I think not" here, but I wont.

vibeone;5280701

I second that!

*High fives*

I seriously don't understand why that thread is still going. Do the other people think they still have a chance, or something?

scrumpypaul;5280664

hmmm, sorry to burst your bubbles scribbles, but she'd be disqualifiedshe … hmmm, sorry to burst your bubbles scribbles, but she'd be disqualifiedshe doesn't have "big hair"she instead possesses a very small head

Ahh, I see what you saying. That ginger Vileda mop that is stuck on her head is grossly exagerated by the minimal size of her noggin? Like an optical illusion and stuff. Hmmm, yeah :thumbsup:
The illusion is also greatly accentuated by the size of her bust, it being completely out of proportion with the rest of her body.

smidav;5280742

Have you ever supported campaigns or charities without that personal … Have you ever supported campaigns or charities without that personal connection (donating a few quid out of your pocket doesn't count)? I could pre-judge you and insert "I think not" here, but I wont.

fundraising tommorrow as it happens for brittish heart foundation again, last year it was cancer research i dont chose the charities we all vote at work an but always up for supporting charities

and yes i still have direct debits come of every month for cancer research, save the children nspcc and the dogs trust ,im all for supporting charities but in her case like people have said shes out to get publicity for herself.

just go along to any hospital,hostel,homeless units etc and you will see REAL candidates for women of the year giving up their free time to help those not so fortunate for free

I don't doubt that there are more worthy yet less heralded potential winners of this award. The fact is that public backing for the Gurkhas required a certain amount of publicity, and celebrities just happen to be very effective in creating it. In JL's case she was more than a recognisable face to a campaign, and from what I have read performed her duties admirably.

Scribbles;5280843

Ahh, I see what you saying. That ginger Vileda mop that is stuck on her … Ahh, I see what you saying. That ginger Vileda mop that is stuck on her head is grossly exagerated by the minimal size of her noggin? Like an optical illusion and stuff. Hmmm, yeah :thumbsup:The illusion is also greatly accentuated by the size of her bust, it being completely out of proportion with the rest of her body.

Optical illusion - yes - like when Father Ted was explaining persepective to Dougal "This is a small cow, but those cows are very far away" - Classic

Can't comment on her bust though - I've never looked at it. sorry.

Sloth/Mod

Those that deserve to win are those that don't court publicity and get on with things without wanting to reap things for self reward or awareness of themselves.

Allready voted for Jo Rowling

Susan Boyle FTW

joke;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415467
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314660

See more discussions