Non essential businesses opening up?

Posted 30th Apr
Just seen a dog grooming business open up for trading near me.

Is it just me or is that extremely irresponsible and not strictly allowable?

I dont think the police would be impressed if they stopped customers asking on the purpose of the journey, as one way of looking at it.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering no financial assistance for over 3 months.

I'm sure they'd rather sit at home with their feet up on 80% pay.
Will be going to them soon if the barbers don't open in the next 4 weeks ! I now have a full blown 60s beatles hair doo !
28 Comments
Depends on how they operate.
If they are collecting from customers homes or mobile - then it would probably be ok as they can't technically 'work from home' as per the guidelines.

However, if they are premises based and customers have to travel there then this isn't allowed
It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering no financial assistance for over 3 months.

I'm sure they'd rather sit at home with their feet up on 80% pay.
The business is entirely premesis based.

adamtattonreid30/04/2020 12:56

Depends on how they operate.If they are collecting from customers homes or …Depends on how they operate.If they are collecting from customers homes or mobile - then it would probably be ok as they can't technically 'work from home' as per the guidelines.However, if they are premises based and customers have to travel there then this isn't allowed

lllllllll30/04/2020 13:12

The business is entirely premesis based.

Then more fool them and anyone who thinks it's acceptable to take their dog to them.

I'd be notifying the local MP and police force.
Will be going to them soon if the barbers don't open in the next 4 weeks ! I now have a full blown 60s beatles hair doo !
Would they trim my hair if I asked nicely
It's not explicitly excluded, see...

legislation.gov.uk/uks…pdf

PS that is for England only.
Edited by: "IamMT" 30th Apr
themorgatron30/04/2020 13:06

It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering …It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering no financial assistance for over 3 months.I'm sure they'd rather sit at home with their feet up on 80% pay.

"free money" if you filed 3 years tax returns, else it is universal credit or JSA (I heard on radio that "they" are less mean at the benefits office with applications during covid.)
Edited by: "splender" 30th Apr
splender30/04/2020 13:43

"free money" if you filed 3 years tax returns, else it is universal credit …"free money" if you filed 3 years tax returns, else it is universal credit or JSA (I heard on radio that "they" are less mean at the benefits office with applications during covid.)

The business has received £10,000 grant (not loan) if the business qualifies for Small Business Rates Relief.
They will be all opening up soon so who cares and most are advised to close not enforced.
There’s lots of business opening up and really you can’t blame them, however, there are more cars and more people around. I just hope it doesn’t start to spread the virus again. The statistics will tell.
AndyRoyd30/04/2020 14:04

The business has received £10,000 grant (not loan) if the business …The business has received £10,000 grant (not loan) if the business qualifies for Small Business Rates Relief.

Of course, forgotten about this, this is a business on premises subject to business rates. If so, the £10,000 grant is mostly for fixed costs, would there be much left to live on for the owner?
(Also, unless the doggy business rents and it falls into an anomaly where the original owner or leaseholder is someone else, who qualifies by being on the official business rates register. The relief goes to the person on the register.)

themorgatron30/04/2020 13:06

It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering …It's irresponsible to cut off a person's income entirely, whilst offering no financial assistance for over 3 months.I'm sure they'd rather sit at home with their feet up on 80% pay.

You reading these additional comments after you made yours?
Therefore, could either be in hardship or at least £10,000 better off.
Not irresponsible as dogs do need grooming still, my Springer is now very uncomfortable as her scheduled appointment was due and cancelled the first week of the 'lockdown'

I'd say controversially that a flypast for Major Tom's 100th birthday is more irresponsible as the staff hours and risk associated with that certainly wasn't 'essential'.
paulj4830/04/2020 14:45

Not irresponsible as dogs do need grooming still, my Springer is now very …Not irresponsible as dogs do need grooming still, my Springer is now very uncomfortable as her scheduled appointment was due and cancelled the first week of the 'lockdown'I'd say controversially that a flypast for Major Tom's 100th birthday is more irresponsible as the staff hours and risk associated with that certainly wasn't 'essential'.

How come you can't just look after it and brush your dog like everyone has done until recent times, with this boom of daycares and groomers?
lllllllll30/04/2020 14:54

How come you can't just look after it and brush your dog like everyone has …How come you can't just look after it and brush your dog like everyone has done until recent times, with this boom of daycares and groomers?

I could if I had the equipment and the ability of which I have neither.
splender30/04/2020 14:19

Of course, forgotten about this, this is a business on premises subject to …Of course, forgotten about this, this is a business on premises subject to business rates. If so, the £10,000 grant is mostly for fixed costs, would there be much left to live on for the owner? (Also, unless the doggy business rents and it falls into an anomaly where the original owner or leaseholder is someone else, who qualifies by being on the official business rates register. The relief goes to the person on the register.)You reading these additional comments after you made yours?Therefore, could either be in hardship or at least £10,000 better off.

How does not having to pay business rates for the next year help them now?
gailanderson@tes30/04/2020 14:17

There’s lots of business opening up and really you can’t blame them, how …There’s lots of business opening up and really you can’t blame them, however, there are more cars and more people around. I just hope it doesn’t start to spread the virus again. The statistics will tell.

i think as the lockdown continues, people will start to do their own thing as they have other priorities like earning a living, feeding their family and paying the bills. i don't see any harm in businesses opening again if they can put in place the social distancing measures as we have to live with the virus.

i do think masks / face covering should be compulsory so help with the spread of the virus and this will probably be introduced sooner or later like other countries.
themorgatron30/04/2020 15:03

How does not having to pay business rates for the next year help them now?

You asked me, "How does not having to pay business rates for the next year help them now?"

After I said to you, "Therefore, could either be in hardship or at least £10,000 better off (for shop fixed costs)."

Are you asking me for clarification of, "in hardship" or are you asking a new question about next year as no one is discussing next year as yet in this thread?
Was out earlier and lot of cars out.
Hope we don't get a second spike.
splender30/04/2020 15:12

You asked me, "How does not having to pay business rates for the next year …You asked me, "How does not having to pay business rates for the next year help them now?"After I said to you, "Therefore, could either be in hardship or at least £10,000 better off (for shop fixed costs)."Are you asking me for clarification of, "in hardship" or are you asking a new question about next year as no one is discussing next year as yet in this thread?

The business rate relief covers the next year.
themorgatron30/04/2020 16:45

The business rate relief covers the next year.

I see what you mean now. I pass your question to AndyRoyd for a comment (follow the thread of this three-party dialogue).
AndyRoyd30/04/2020 14:04

The business has received £10,000 grant (not loan) if the business …The business has received £10,000 grant (not loan) if the business qualifies for Small Business Rates Relief.

Over to you, to quote themorgatron's question was, ""How does not having to pay business rates for the next year help them now?"
My folks have been getting their dogs picked up and groomed via their groomer through the current pandemic lockdown.

Their groomer is operating a no entry setup so no public in their shop, will only collect dogs that need to be groomed (or those with log fur that needs sorting as it's been warmer), if the owners have no symptoms etc.

I don't think it's fair to assume someone isn't going to practice safe distancing without even knowing how they'll operate.
Edited by: "darlodge" 30th Apr
darlodge30/04/2020 16:54

My folks have been getting their dogs picked up and groomed via their …My folks have been getting their dogs picked up and groomed via their groomer through the current pandemic lockdown.Their groomer is operating a no entry setup so no public in their shop, will only collect dogs that need to be groomed (or those with log fur that needs sorting as it's been warmer), if the owners have no symptoms etc.I don't think it's fair to assume someone isn't going to practice safe distancing without even knowing how they'll operate.

i think everyone is afraid of the disease so any business that operates will know that they are taking risks and so will only do so if they can't afford to stay closed, but i am sure they will be taking a lot of precautions as they would want to protect themselves from picking up the virus.
paulj4830/04/2020 14:45

Not irresponsible as dogs do need grooming still, my Springer is now very …Not irresponsible as dogs do need grooming still, my Springer is now very uncomfortable as her scheduled appointment was due and cancelled the first week of the 'lockdown'I'd say controversially that a flypast for Major Tom's 100th birthday is more irresponsible as the staff hours and risk associated with that certainly wasn't 'essential'.

You are comparing the flypast for a 100-yr old war veteran who selflessly raised £23M with your dog requiring grooming?
bozo00730/04/2020 19:00

You are comparing the flypast for a 100-yr old war veteran who selflessly …You are comparing the flypast for a 100-yr old war veteran who selflessly raised £23M with your dog requiring grooming?

No I'm comparing the hypocrisy and double standards that exist of people's views about what is 'essential' and what is not 'essential'
paulj4830/04/2020 20:40

No I'm comparing the hypocrisy and double standards that exist of people's …No I'm comparing the hypocrisy and double standards that exist of people's views about what is 'essential' and what is not 'essential'

No one said anything about that vs this. Only you did.

Nevertheless think about it and you'll hopefully realise its a daft comparison.
So long as they're practicing safe distancing etc..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions