Groups

Non Fault Insurance Query

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a Non Fault Insurance Claim, if there is different tiers and its impact on my no claims discount.

For some background, 4 weeks ago we purchased a new car and brought it home and put it on our drive. The following weekend, my partner and I got married and went straight on our honeymoon abroad. We left the car on our drive outside our house (off road drive way).

Literally the first day of our honeymoon, my parents messaged me about a peculiar note that had been put through my door. I followed this up and the guy has said that he has damaged our car and wanted to follow up the way forward. He has told me his 2015 Honda's Handbrake failed and his car rolled down the hill and hit my car. My dad who has been dealing with matters back home believes this may be a tall tale and he's just forgotten to put his handbrake on (Staggered it wasn't in gear as well, but that's another annoyance)

On the surface level, the damage appears to be just cosmetic but will require a full respray and possible bumper replacement as a minimum. I am now debating whether to go through the insurance or to get a quote for it doing off the insurance.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they believe the best route is? My understanding is that any 'claim' regardless of fault will impact future insurance policies. Which frustrates me because we weren't even in the country at the time of the incident and this was potentially done by negligence on the other parties fault. My other gut feeling is that as its a week old car, the insurance should give it a full once-over, to make sure there is no damage to reversing sensors (doesn't appear to be) and damage underneath the surface

Frustrated to say the least and not the start to married life I envisaged.

22 Comments

non fault claim can add anywhere between 0-20% onto your premium dependent on insurer.

by all means get a quote, then you can see whether its worth claiming. that relies on the 3rd party having the money to pay it off though.

be careful that as soon as you tell your insurance, regardless of any claim, will have to be declared in future.

While others will say to go down the insurance route, if he's not being difficult you could just get as estimate for the damage and see if he is willing to pay it? I bashed a car before and I said you can get it fixed out of insurance and I will pay for it. They called me and said repair would cost £300 I handed them cash and they gave me £50 back few weeks later. OF course they could just extort me if they wanted to, but in your situation you're not the one at risk.

Yep , your insurance will increase either way. I had a non fault claim , the damages to my car were only about £250 yet I ended up paying an extra £40 a year for 5 years.
    So depending on your damages will depend on the premium increase. Also if you choose for the 3rd party to pay and not claim through the insurance you are still legally obliged to notify the insurance company, even though you are not claiming your premium will still increase, just not as much.
    If you fail to notify your insurance company and they find out you can invalidate your insurance. For them not to find out relies on the 3rd party never declaring to his company, ask yourself if you can trust them to do so.

For peace of mind I would personally go through insurance.. as you say the damage on the surface will be costly on its own and you won't be sure till it's checked whether there is further damage present under.

You could be talking thousand of pounds worth of damage (Would he be willing to pay this for you outside insurance? What if further damage comes to light weeks/months later?)

Fault/Non-fault claims only stick around 3 years with some insurers and 5 with others.. weigh the risk in your mind or bite the bullet and move on.

Insurance premium increase whether it is your fault or not. It is claim dependent, not fault dependent. You can reduce potential increase by paying to protect NCD. Others have claimed this is no good but we find that it has worked for us as my husband is a bad driver and has had many claims without the premium increasing by much.

let the insurance deal with it to cover yourself. Youll want it properly done, full dealer or top body shop repair, which the other driver wont want or be able to pay for. And if there is no question of fault etc, it wont effect your ncd, and none or very little increase in any future premium (because of this alone). Increases are happening atm regardless of claims anyway.
    Edited by: "Rich069" 16th Apr

Original Poster

The other persons car has had to have a total repair as it hit my fence first (absolutely no damage to that) then appears to have slid across the back of my car.

I think I'll go the insurance route as it was a 7 day old car at the time of the accident and I don't want a half a*sed job.

Just renewed my insurance today and got loaded an extra 60 quid for a 100% non fault accident where all costs where the other party admitted liability from the word go, my no claims were not affected and I received a letter from the other persons insurer to say I was not liable or at fault.
    My insurer said it was being loaded as statistically once you have had an accident it was likely you would be involved in another. Sounded statistically like a money grabbing load of old @hit to me, but they have got you either way.
    If you go down the getting them to pay route make sure the work is done by a reputable garage with a warranty. Most people who want to pay themselves want you to go to some dodgy back street garage, which is no good for a nearly new car. If you ever had a warranty claim for the car and the work was deemed to be sub standard then it would get knocked back

Original Poster

manimal_GB

Just renewed my insurance today and got loaded an extra 60 quid for a … Just renewed my insurance today and got loaded an extra 60 quid for a 100% non fault accident where all costs where the other party admitted liability from the word go, my no claims were not affected and I received a letter from the other persons insurer to say I was not liable or at fault. My insurer said it was being loaded as statistically once you have had an accident it was likely you would be involved in another. Sounded statistically like a money grabbing load of old @hit to me, but they have got you either way.If you go down the getting them to pay route make sure the work is done by a reputable garage with a warranty. Most people who want to pay themselves want you to go to some dodgy back street garage, which is no good for a nearly new car. If you ever had a warranty claim for the car and the work was deemed to be sub standard then it would get knocked back

Thanks for the advice, I have submitted a claim through my insurance.

The other party have been fairly good in all honest, just not sure I believe the handbrake failed story (or comprehend how people don't leave it in gear on a hill).

Original Poster

mutley1

Insurance premium increase whether it is your fault or not. It is claim … Insurance premium increase whether it is your fault or not. It is claim dependent, not fault dependent. You can reduce potential increase by paying to protect NCD. Others have claimed this is no good but we find that it has worked for us as my husband is a bad driver and has had many claims without the premium increasing by much.

We have our no claims protected thankfully, but believe whilst your no claims discount stays the same your risk increases and premium follows.

Original Poster

Niz

While others will say to go down the insurance route, if he's not being … While others will say to go down the insurance route, if he's not being difficult you could just get as estimate for the damage and see if he is willing to pay it? I bashed a car before and I said you can get it fixed out of insurance and I will pay for it. They called me and said repair would cost £300 I handed them cash and they gave me £50 back few weeks later. OF course they could just extort me if they wanted to, but in your situation you're not the one at risk.

It was at the time of the incident a one week old car, I want to make sure its fixed right. But if it was an older car, I'd consider doing that.

feeder16

Thanks for the advice, I have submitted a claim through my insurance. The … Thanks for the advice, I have submitted a claim through my insurance. The other party have been fairly good in all honest, just not sure I believe the handbrake failed story (or comprehend how people don't leave it in gear on a hill).

Doesnt matter either way, at least they didnt do a runner and did the right thing by leaving a note.

feeder16

We have our no claims protected thankfully, but believe whilst your no … We have our no claims protected thankfully, but believe whilst your no claims discount stays the same your risk increases and premium follows.

Yes, for sure the premium increase alright as my husband is forever claiming since he drives like a maniac. He is getting better but he still drives far too fast. However, to my surprise, the premium never increase as much as you would expect when it is his fault and the claim costs are high as he has a habit of driving into expensive cars! Guess we are lucky. He has had instances of others driving into the back of him and the premium has also increased moderately. However, i still believe that this is still my husband's fault even though the insurer does not consider it to be so, not that i am complaining.

You do not want to drive behind my husband as he drives so fast, he brakes suddenly all the time and so causing others to hit him as they don't expect him to be doing emergency stops in the middle of the road. Lol. X)

feeder16

We have our no claims protected thankfully, but believe whilst your no … We have our no claims protected thankfully, but believe whilst your no claims discount stays the same your risk increases and premium follows.

No claims protection is a scam, Although you don't lose your no claims bonus, your premium will still rise.

New bumper and spray job = £400ish

Your excess is probably £250 and you'll pay over £400 extra in premiums over the next 4-5 years, Your car might be classed as a cat D too so resale value will be impacted.

Original Poster

shauneco

No claims protection is a scam, Although you don't lose your no claims … No claims protection is a scam, Although you don't lose your no claims bonus, your premium will still rise. New bumper and spray job = £400ish Your excess is probably £250 and you'll pay over £400 extra in premiums over the next 4-5 years, Your car might be classed as a cat D too so resale value will be impacted.

I won't pay an excess as it was not my fault

feeder16

It was at the time of the incident a one week old car, I want to make … It was at the time of the incident a one week old car, I want to make sure its fixed right. But if it was an older car, I'd consider doing that.

Fair enough, don't be complacent though check their work! its hard to get trustworthy repair garages, even going the insurance way they're just paying someone to do the work they aren't going to check much!

Also with new electronic handbrakes there isn't an actual cable that tightens the brake "on" from the lever its just a button so failure is possible. I do remember seeing this type of thing on watchdog a while back, cars rolling away! where the manufacturer denying a problem cant remember what car it was.

To be honest, I would if he is willing to pay for it out of insurance do it that way. If it's a non fault claim you will still have to declare that for 5 years and although they say it doesn't affect the price you pay it does. I had a non fault no cost claim and it still shows on my insurance and costs me only slightly extra but still for something that didn't ever happen is costing me money years on.

Hope that helps, sorry for the story.

feeder16

I won't pay an excess as it was not my fault

You will because you're making a claim, they can usually claim this back against the third party.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 16th Apr

Niz

Fair enough, don't be complacent though check their work! its hard to get … Fair enough, don't be complacent though check their work! its hard to get trustworthy repair garages, even going the insurance way they're just paying someone to do the work they aren't going to check much!Also with new electronic handbrakes there isn't an actual cable that tightens the brake "on" from the lever its just a button so failure is possible. I do remember seeing this type of thing on watchdog a while back, cars rolling away! where the manufacturer denying a problem cant remember what car it was.

I think that was VW, a member on here lost his car and found it had rolled down an hill and into some bushes, luckily no damage. My wife's uncle recently had a new Honda and that had a problem where the handbrake failed and it started rolling back, it had a caravan hitched on it at the time.

mutley1

Yes, for sure the premium increase alright as my husband is forever … Yes, for sure the premium increase alright as my husband is forever claiming since he drives like a maniac. He is getting better but he still drives far too fast. However, to my surprise, the premium never increase as much as you would expect when it is his fault and the claim costs are high as he has a habit of driving into expensive cars! Guess we are lucky. He has had instances of others driving into the back of him and the premium has also increased moderately. However, i still believe that this is still my husband's fault even though the insurer does not consider it to be so, not that i am complaining.You do not want to drive behind my husband as he drives so fast, he brakes suddenly all the time and so causing others to hit him as they don't expect him to be doing emergency stops in the middle of the road. Lol. X)

Sounds like your husband should not be driving and should have his license taken away. I wonder if you will be as flippant when he kills someone!
    Edited by: "londonlad19" 16th Apr

Original Poster

shauneco

You will because you're making a claim, they can usually claim this back … You will because you're making a claim, they can usually claim this back against the third party.

Just spoken with them and i don't have to pay excess

Original Poster

shauneco

I think that was VW, a member on here lost his car and found it had … I think that was VW, a member on here lost his car and found it had rolled down an hill and into some bushes, luckily no damage. My wife's uncle recently had a new Honda and that had a problem where the handbrake failed and it started rolling back, it had a caravan hitched on it at the time.

It was a two year old Hyundai
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Buy back on Euros to £££12
      2. Digital ps4 games33
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)22
      4. Cheap northface alternatives?22

See more discussions