Non slip shoes/trainers for rain and ice

Posted 3rd Nov
Does anyone have any recommendations that don’t slip. Asked on some shopping sites and the trainers I got are very slippery in rain
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Have a look at some waterproof walking shoes, you can look on somewhere like Go Outdoors or Blacks, but if you just want something cheap check out the Karrimor shoes at Sports Direct.
Don't forget, you can buy "slip over" grips for your existing trainers/footwear to give you better stability. They basically stretch over the bottom of your shoe. I'll see if I can find an example. You probably know what I'm talking about anyway.
This is the sort of thing:

ebay.co.uk/itm…HvA

Some look ok. Others can be a bit cumbersome. Shop around. I used to use similar when working on a concrete pad in winter. It was like a ruddy skating rink! Hehe. Had a few close calls but I never fell down once...
Examples of which specific trainers (tread and material) that you used slipped in the rain?
Examples of which specific trainers (tread and material) that you used slipped on ice?

I ask because you ask for better grip than what you have experienced.
Edited by: "splender" 3rd Nov
Nike sheild
running shoes tend to have better grips as they are designed for fast running. look into getting those or walking boots as someone has already mentioned.
for icy conditions, you need wellies as they are designed specifically for wet conditions.
Edited by: "mutley1" 3rd Nov
mutley103/11/2019 13:55

running shoes tend to have better grips as they are designed for fast …running shoes tend to have better grips as they are designed for fast running.

And slick tyres for cars have better grip too, it doesn't mean they're good for rain and ice.

@katw Do these need to be trainers specifically or are you just after a general walking/casual sports? Scarpa have a couple of models in the Mojito City GTX and Haraka GTX that specifically advertise grip on ice so you'd expect them to be at least reasonable.
EndlessWaves03/11/2019 15:36

And slick tyres for cars have better grip too, it doesn't mean they're …And slick tyres for cars have better grip too, it doesn't mean they're good for rain and ice.@katw Do these need to be trainers specifically or are you just after a general walking/casual sports? Scarpa have a couple of models in the Mojito City GTX and Haraka GTX that specifically advertise grip on ice so you'd expect them to be at least reasonable.

i used to wear casual trainers because they look nice with clothes. they don't have much grip on them and are pretty slippery when you walk into the garden. i now wear running shoes for casual wear and i find that the grip on them is far better than the casual trainers. there are more teeth/grip pads so it sticks to the ground better.

for icy conditions, i find the wellies are the best for getting grips. the running shoes can't cope with the ice but they can certainly cope with the wet condition as runners run throughout the year, often off road on slippery mud.
mutley103/11/2019 15:42

i used to wear casual trainers because they look nice with clothes. they …i used to wear casual trainers because they look nice with clothes. they don't have much grip on them and are pretty slippery when you walk into the garden. i now wear running shoes for casual wear and i find that the grip on them is far better than the casual trainers. there are more teeth/grip pads so it sticks to the ground better.for icy conditions, i find the wellies are the best for getting grips. the running shoes can't cope with the ice but they can certainly cope with the wet condition as runners run throughout the year, often off road on slippery mud.

Thanks. Which do you have please

And slick tyres for cars have better grip too, it doesn't mean they're …And slick tyres for cars have better grip too, it doesn't mean they're good for rain and ice.@katw Do these need to be trainers specifically or are you just after a general walking/casual sports? Scarpa have a couple of models in the Mojito City GTX and Haraka GTX that specifically advertise grip on ice so you'd expect them to be at least reasonable.

It’s for walking to work. And I’m a size four

Do you have a link please. I have osteoarthritis and am scared of falling. I walk about 630 in morning when still wet and frosty. And thanks to ever
Trail running shoes
katw03/11/2019 16:13

Thanks. Which do you have please

i wear saucony triumph iso and they have very good grips as well as being very comfortable as i walk about 5 miles every day, off road and in wet and muddy condition. they also look very nice with casual wear as they don't look too peculiar and works fine with jeans for example.
but i think any serious running shoes will be fine as they are designed for runners who run throughout the year. if you are interested in getting running shoes then i would advise go to a proper running shoe shop and try them out as they fit very snugly and so they can be uncomfortable for your feet if they don't fit properly.

if your shoe size is 4, then you need running shoes that are size 5 as they tend to be tighter than ordinary shoes. get your running gait tested when you buy running shoes as that will give maximum support and comfort even though you will be using them for walking. if you go to a running shoe shop, they will have a machine to test your running gait and they will do this for free without any obligation for you to buy their shoes.
Edited by: "mutley1" 3rd Nov
mutley103/11/2019 17:09

i wear saucony triumph iso and they have very good grips as well as being …i wear saucony triumph iso and they have very good grips as well as being very comfortable as i walk about 5 miles every day, off road and in wet and muddy condition. they also look very nice with casual wear as they don't look too peculiar and works fine with jeans for example. but i think any serious running shoes will be fine as they are designed for runners who run throughout the year. if you are interested in getting running shoes then i would advise go to a proper running shoe shop and try them out as they fit very snugly and so they can be uncomfortable for your feet if they don't fit properly.if your shoe size is 4, then you need running shoes that are size 5 as they tend to be tighter than ordinary shoes. get your running gait tested when you buy running shoes as that will give maximum support and comfort even though you will be using them for walking. if you go to a running shoe shop, they will have a machine to test your running gait and they will do this for free without any obligation for you to buy their shoes.

Thanks for your reply. I won’t be running just walking
katw03/11/2019 18:31

Thanks for your reply. I won’t be running just walking

if you walk every day then running shoes are better than casual trainers as they are more comfortable with better support for your feet. they last much longer than casual trainers so although they cost more, you get the money back as they easily outlast 2 pairs of casual shoes if you do a lot of walking.

walking boots will also be better as they are designed for trekking through off road and rough terrain so you could consider getting those as well. i did try them on at the shop but i prefer the running shoes as they are lighter and feel more comfortable on my feet.
Google Search - Vibram Arctic Grip.
Several manufacturers use this.
Saucony and Merrell do.
Edited by: "dorset_taco" 4th Nov
katw03/11/2019 16:27

Do you have a link please. I have osteoarthritis and am scared of falling. …Do you have a link please. I have osteoarthritis and am scared of falling. I walk about 630 in morning when still wet and frosty. And thanks to ever

Well I just plucked them out of the search results as an example of a trainer-like option but here they are on the Scarpa website:
en.scarpa.net/pro…ack
en.scarpa.net/pro…ck-
en.scarpa.net/pro…ck-

And here are some UK shops stocking them:
zalando.co.uk/sca…tml
alpinetrek.co.uk/sca…rs/
amazon.co.uk/Sca…c=1
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants