Groups
    EXPIRED

Non Wireless Router Options (Two iMacs on Virgin Cable)

Hi All,

I have an old iMac (first generation one) and my mum has upgraded hers now so has given us her old iMac too for my daughter.

Both iMacs are in the same room now about 2 Metres apart, however I want to get my daughter's one online too, not bothered about wireless so just want a cheap router that will enable us to both use the net at the same time.

We are using Virgin Cable (formerly Telewest) - both iMacs have ethernet & firewire/usb connections.

Any suggestions for a cheap router that would work with the above?

Thanks

12 Comments

Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply.

The non wireless version looks ideal, can anyone confirm it will work with my Virgin Cable modem though (motorola SB51-1E Surfboards Cable Modem)?

phone them up tomorrow
    their presales and aftersales support is fantastic

Original Poster

Also, bearing in mind there's two metres between them will I need to buy a big ethernet cable, if so where from?

Sales
    For pre-sale advice or to place an order contact Sales.
    Telephone: 01908 888327
    Email : [email protected] or fill in the form below.

Customer Services
    For all other enquiries and post sale care contact Customer Services.
    Telephone: 01908 888327
    Email : [email protected] or fill in the form below

Money Spinning

Also, bearing in mind there's two metres between them will I need to buy … Also, bearing in mind there's two metres between them will I need to buy a big ethernet cable, if so where from?

ebay u can find different lengths

Original Poster

Thanks for your help, rep added.

Will give them a call if I don't get any other options.

If anyone else has a suggestion that will definitely work with the above requirements please add!

Also consider a router with built in print server - then you don't have to turn the other computer on to print e.g. for under £40:
    ]http//ww…658

Money Spinning

Hi All,I have an old iMac (first generation one) and my mum has upgraded … Hi All,I have an old iMac (first generation one) and my mum has upgraded hers now so has given us her old iMac too for my daughter.Both iMacs are in the same room now about 2 Metres apart, however I want to get my daughter's one online too, not bothered about wireless so just want a cheap router that will enable us to both use the net at the same time.We are using Virgin Cable (formerly Telewest) - both iMacs have ethernet & firewire/usb connections.Any suggestions for a cheap router that would work with the above?Thanks

im sure you can get a router from virgin if you ring up and ask. sometimes it is free

Money Spinning

Hi All,I have an old iMac (first generation one) and my mum has upgraded … Hi All,I have an old iMac (first generation one) and my mum has upgraded hers now so has given us her old iMac too for my daughter.Both iMacs are in the same room now about 2 Metres apart, however I want to get my daughter's one online too, not bothered about wireless so just want a cheap router that will enable us to both use the net at the same time.We are using Virgin Cable (formerly Telewest) - both iMacs have ethernet & firewire/usb connections.Any suggestions for a cheap router that would work with the above?Thanks

Hi mate

I have exactly what you need from telewest now virgin media.

A netgear WGR614 wireless router and setup cd.

You can have it for £25 inc RMSD delivery if thats any good to you.

It has 4 LAN ports at the back so setting it up for using your 2 macs to get on the net at the same time is no problem.

broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho…539

any luck?

Original Poster

ewaht - Thanks for the offer, but for a few quid more I can get something new with 12 months warranty.

jasonrat - Still looking, have my eye on a Linksys one on Ebuyer though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc37
      2. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      3. Best IPTV Paid service?1721
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please46
      5. Best Wi-Fi extender22

See more discussions