Groups

Nook glow light - scrap?

Just dusted off my nook glow light I got from the Sainsbury's deal many years ago on here. I see B&N no longer support the nook.

Is there anyway to get ebooks on to the nook - or is it for the bin?

Thanks

15 Comments

Any digital bookshop that sells books in epub format will be ideal for the Nook. There's no reason to ditch it just because B&N threw in the towel...I still love mine!

Original Poster

I had to reset the nook, wiping it to factory. I managed to bypass the registration process (you can't register a nook anymore) so the nook is working, but I'm unsure where to get the ebooks from or what programs I use to get the books on to the nook. Sorry for noob questions... I have googled but can't find much info. Thanks for the help.

Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 31st Dec 2016

Original Poster

GNKelly07

You have been sort of forced to, but can't you just copy downloaded … You have been sort of forced to, but can't you just copy downloaded ePub's onto it?

I'm not sure, I think there would have been a few on here who bought them with the deals that were posted, so I'm just wondering how everyone does what. I'm not very tech savvy and was ok when I could download books from b&n but even that was years ago...

I've had 3 and they all stopped working after a while. Now it's no longer supported but if yours is working you can still use it. You can even download e-books from your local library onto it. Alternatively, you can get a cheap Amazon Fire 7 (recently £35) and use that, or download a free reading app onto a laptop / tablet or smartphone.

DEALS4EVA

I had to reset the nook, wiping it to factory. I managed to bypass the … I had to reset the nook, wiping it to factory. I managed to bypass the registration process (you can't register a nook anymore) so the nook is working, but I'm unsure where to get the ebooks from or what programs I use to get the books on to the nook. Sorry for noob questions... I have googled but can't find much info. Thanks for the help.

To copy files over just plug it into your PC, it'll show up as another drive and you can copy downloaded books on to it into the "my Books" folder, they'll then show up on your library on the Nook. To test this just download a few from here: gutenberg.org/

Original Poster

IamMT

To copy files over just plug it into your PC, it'll show up as another … To copy files over just plug it into your PC, it'll show up as another drive and you can copy downloaded books on to it into the "my Books" folder, they'll then show up on your library on the Nook. To test this just download a few from here: https://www.gutenberg.org/

Thank you! Do you know where I can buy new books from? Am I right in saying some have copy protection or something on them. Say I wanted the number one selling book in the U.K. on it now, have you any idea how I could do that?

DEALS4EVA

Thank you! Do you know where I can buy new books from? Am I right in … Thank you! Do you know where I can buy new books from? Am I right in saying some have copy protection or something on them. Say I wanted the number one selling book in the U.K. on it now, have you any idea how I could do that?

You can buy them from anywhere then use the below program to send them to the nook. Calibre handles the conversion from whatever format (even drm) to a suitable format for the nook. Although as IamMT said the joy of a nook is it will read almost anything anyhow when you just connect it to your pc and do a simple drag and drop. Mainly it is the amazon format that you would need to use Calibre for (.azw)

You can also root the device and place a version of Android onto the Nook which then means you can simply sideload or from the playstore download what readers you like say for example the Amazon app and then buy books from Amazon or even from the play store also.

calibre-ebook.com/

forum.xda-developers.com/noo…056

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 31st Dec 2016

Agree with cecilmcroberts - Cabibre is the program I use with my Nook.

DEALS4EVA

Thank you! Do you know where I can buy new books from? Am I right in … Thank you! Do you know where I can buy new books from? Am I right in saying some have copy protection or something on them. Say I wanted the number one selling book in the U.K. on it now, have you any idea how I could do that?

This link explains how to do it: nobooko.com/how…tml

I suggest you buy a very cheap book on Kobo.com (with DRM) to test it.

Calibre will put books on it, you can easily bypass the need to register but it apparently makes the battery drain quicker.

I just flashed mine to the American Software, made a US nook account, signed in with that (avoid possible battery drain) and then use Calibre to load books on.

Original Poster

Thank you all so much, that is a brilliant help. Thanks to everyone for your input

I also still use mine

THink you can register it on the US store if you need to - but we side load books on ours from Calibre

Thanks, was just about to bin my old nook. may try the above out. Thanks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      2. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88
      4. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO22

See more discussions