Norfolk Broads 3 night trip from Stalham - any advice please?

Found 25th Mar 2015
Hi just booked our first boating trip on the Norfolk Broads! 3 nts end of May. We're a large group - 8 adults, one stroppy teenager, and we don't have any experience!! Just wondered if anyone has any advice based on previous experiences? We really don't know what to expect - but really looking forward to it!! Wondering about things like what to take with us, our route, places we should stop and see, recommendations for eating off the boat, practical advice, fuel charge (paid £120 fuel deposit - how does this work?!) Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated as we are total novices!! Thanks in advance....
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
mermaids slipper
I live in Stalham

There is a decent sized Tesco to stock up on essentials in the village, and also a good variety of take-aways [Indian/Chinese/Kebab] and a decent pub - The Swan on the high street. Take a trip along the broads to Wroxham - again another big village with lots of nice riverside eating places and shops. Depending on what the adults [and stroppy teenager] enjoy doing, there are plenty of walks/pubs along the way.

Depending on where you are from, it can be a bit chilly here on the East Coast, with the lovely cool breeze coming off the North sea, so I'd recommend bringing a couple of woollies just in case

As we are mostly a nature reserve you wont really find any cinemas/events etc unless you travel into Norwich, which by car is around 30 mins. There you have all the luxuries available of any major city. I'd recommend using the Sprowston park and ride to get into the city and avoid finding parking spaces.

The boat hire company [Richardsons?] should be able to help you with local events going on at the time that may be of interest.

If I remember correctly, the fuel deposit is used to fill the boat ready for your use on arrival. When you return, any unused fuel is credited back to you.

Hope this helps somewhat, if you want to ask any further Q's about the area I'll gladly try and answer

Have a great time when you get here!
I am based in Norfolk and at least once a year hire a boat on the Broads. Stalham is a small town and has a reasonable size tescos in case you want to buy bbq food etc! The main town on the Broads is Wroxham. This is where we usually hire our boats from. It is on the same Broad as Stalham. Also on the same stretch are Horning and Coltishall. Both of these villages have a good selection of pubs where you can moor up for food. Although to get to Coltishall you would have to go under a bridge so I would check before you leave that the boat is low enough! I believe the fuel surcharge should include fuel required for the 3 days, however, I only have experience of day boats so may be different! There aren't any convenient stations to fill up with fuel so it should be included!
As skintbint...we were obviously writing at the same time!!!
When you first get the boat get one person to drive, less is more. Use less speed and patience to get going. Once you've done an hour or 2 you start to get the hang of it. However driving a boat is very different to a car or any other vehicle. No one is going to complain if you're going to slow, the entire point of the broads is to relax. so if there is traffic about just slow down and let it pass.

Parking is a pain at times but the best option is to assess visually what you need to do, plan how you're going to do it and then do the manoeuvre.

Also make sure the people you are working with know what they are expected to do. Tell them your intentions about parking or the assistance you need them to render to get the job done and what you need of them like if you need someone at the front and back to tether once in position. Also if people think you're going to be mooring in on the left side and you swap around they won't be as able to help so clear instructions will help.

Don't be afraid to get physical with moving the boat about. Sometimes it's just easier if you cant easily due to currents get the boat where you want to be to use brute force and drag it into position. They are substantial things but can be pushed and pulled into position which sometimes is the easiest thing in crowded areas. Just be sure to not do like I've seen several times on a number of trips and try to do this fall in. If there's an extra 10 feet of rope and enough room stand well back from the edge, last thing you want is to get wet by standing too close to an edge when the person at the wheel makes a sudden change.

Always worth considering reading some of the guides and help beforehand just to get an idea.
http://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/

While you're only there for a few days be sure to plan where you're going to stop, it's not fun if you misjudge how far you thought you could get thinking you could get a head start to your next destination and then have to find somewhere to safely moor well short of where you thought you'd get to due to the onset of dusk.
Roy's of Wroxham is always worth a visit
Thank you all.....we're really looking forward to it....a relaxing couple of days. Hoping to do some fishing (if allowed). The mention of a BBQ was interesting - they allow this? On the river bank I presume?? Be great if they do! I assume that, along the way, there are pubs to stop at. Guessing we wouldn't be travelling too far - Wroxham and then back. If we like it, we can go further next time Appreciate you all taking the time to reply. Was told to take a car charger for the phone as there are no sockets (which I never even thought of) A stroppy teenager that can't charge the ipad......this could be a long 3 days. Haha Thanks again....
GILLFREEBIE

Thank you all.....we're really looking forward to it....a relaxing couple … Thank you all.....we're really looking forward to it....a relaxing couple of days. Hoping to do some fishing (if allowed). The mention of a BBQ was interesting - they allow this? On the river bank I presume?? Be great if they do! I assume that, along the way, there are pubs to stop at. Guessing we wouldn't be travelling too far - Wroxham and then back. If we like it, we can go further next time Appreciate you all taking the time to reply. Was told to take a car charger for the phone as there are no sockets (which I never even thought of) A stroppy teenager that can't charge the ipad......this could be a long 3 days. Haha Thanks again....

If you go to Wroxham you will have to pass through Horning that has 3 pubs alone! Also pubs in Wroxham and Coltishall. We have moored up and had bbqs before. not sure if its allowed but providing you dont leave rubbish or damage the environment it will be fine. There is a big open space at Coltishall you could use that has mooring but its further than Wroxham.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants