Northern Ireland Delivery Rant

Found 5th Jun 2013
Why is it people from Northern Ireland constantly attack retailers for charging more for delivery to northern ireland?

I own a business which ships 300 parcels a day with parcelforce. A next day UK mainland service costs me £3.85+vat... Northern Ireland costs me £9.95 + VAT..... roughly £5 vs £12

If the retailer charged those in Northern Ireland the same then it's the MAJORITY in the UK mainland that would be SUBSIDISING the MINORITY in Northern Ireland.

Maybe it's time you all started writing to couriers and stopped attacking the retailers who are powerless with this.

FACT your parcel needs to go on a boat or plane so it costs more to get to you.

Opinions?
Community Updates
MiscIreland
Top comments
Couriers we use don't charge extra - NI is part of the UK.
32 Comments
JonnyTwoToes

Which couriers? any decent ones charge more....

All the crap ones such as Hermes, Royal Mail are plain useless and too slow
I think you might be mistaken about the prices. Parcelforce home page shows cheapest next day price to anywhere in the UK which includes Northern Ireland is £10.30 + VAT. Cheapest 2 day service is £4 + VAT.
whatsThePoint

simple answer, charge everyone £12 del

Wrong answer charge everyone the EXACT cost it costs them
ceres

I think you might be mistaken about the prices. Parcelforce home page … I think you might be mistaken about the prices. Parcelforce home page shows cheapest next day price to anywhere in the UK which includes Northern Ireland is £10.30 + VAT. Cheapest 2 day service is £4 + VAT.

The price I pay are with a contract so different to everyone else

However I have gone through the parcelforce website to price up a 30cm square box weighing 20kg going to belfast. Here are the quoted prices.....

http://i43.tinypic.com/dcae04.png
I would blame the retailers if i lived in Northern Ireland.
Simple answer and save the headache, just don't ship to NI. Job done and the moaners can go moan elsewhere lol
whatsThePoint

did i not point out its the simple answer, not the correct one

Ah but you see I don't think it is the simple answer.....

If your business was based in London it's closer and a SHORTER boat trip to deliver to Paris than Belfast yet Parisians wouldn't expect delivery to be the same price as those in the UK

http://i40.tinypic.com/fozjig.png
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 5th Jun 2013
simplyjimbo

Simple answer and save the headache, just don't ship to NI. Job done and … Simple answer and save the headache, just don't ship to NI. Job done and the moaners can go moan elsewhere lol

(_;)
Don't live in NI, problem solved
Do the same exercise for a mainland postcode.

I just did it, obviously I don't have your contract terms, for the same parcel for a London postcode to a Belfast postcode for next day delivery (express24) £28.99 + VAT and then for a London postcode to a Scottish postcode for next day delivery £28.99 and just for completeness to a Birmingham postcode £28.99 + VAT. If your contract costs you more to NI, perhaps you should think about a different contract.
ceres

Do the same exercise for a mainland postcode.I just did it, obviously I … Do the same exercise for a mainland postcode.I just did it, obviously I don't have your contract terms, for the same parcel for a London postcode to a Belfast postcode for next day delivery (express24) £28.99 + VAT and then for a London postcode to a Scottish postcode for next day delivery £28.99 and just for completeness to a Birmingham postcode £28.99 + VAT. If your contract costs you more to NI, perhaps you should think about a different contract.

This is you pointing the finger at the retailer blaming them.... We have negotiated tooth and nail to get these prices down and believe me we have VERY good rates compared with most other couriers.
Try a company like despatch bay, Parcel2go, interparcel.

They ships tens of thousands daily and so have great negotiating power yet Northern Ireland is almost £20....and that's 48 hr....

(same 20kg box at 30cm square)
Parcel2go - uk mainland cheapest £7.75+vat
Parcel2go - Nothern Ireland cheapest £15.99+vat

£12 to ship to northern ireland, what weight parcels are we talking about here? I dont know why I'm bothering to ask as youve already slated hermes and royal mail. ...but you have made the decision FOR the buyers in NI, when they know p&p should be the same as UK for RM/Hermes.

So question is, why are you forcing your buyers to pay loads extra when they may only just want RM/hermes themselves? I think they are justified in their annoyance + I think you are getting raped by the courier (300 parcels a day with those figures)
you_gotta_be_kidding

This is you pointing the finger at the retailer blaming them.... We have … This is you pointing the finger at the retailer blaming them.... We have negotiated tooth and nail to get these prices down and believe me we have VERY good rates compared with most other couriers.

No, I'm pointing out that Parcelforce appear to charge the same rate in the UK irrespective of postcode. You haven't provided anything that shows that you are charged on a different basis to Joe Public.
splatsplatsplat

£12 to ship to northern ireland, what weight parcels are we talking about … £12 to ship to northern ireland, what weight parcels are we talking about here? I dont know why I'm bothering to ask as youve already slated hermes and royal mail. ...but you have made the decision FOR the buyers in NI, when they know p&p should be the same as UK for RM/Hermes. So question is, why are you forcing your buyers to pay loads extra when they may only just want RM/hermes themselves? I think they are justified in their annoyance + I think you are getting raped by the courier (300 parcels a day with those figures)

We ship artwork which is over 1m in length so hermes won't take it and Royal Mail it has to go Standard parcels which cost £10.45 and has no tracking number.....

However I do appreciate your point on smaller lower weight parcels and those firms should give the choice.

However I just saw a thread where someone had to point out a lawnmower weighing 30kgs cost £7 more to ship to NI which I think is great value
ceres

No, I'm pointing out that Parcelforce appear to charge the same rate in … No, I'm pointing out that Parcelforce appear to charge the same rate in the UK irrespective of postcode. You haven't provided anything that shows that you are charged on a different basis to Joe Public.

Well I personally don't have to prove anything, I'm not here to defend myself, I am more trying to understand this issue and try to see if people from NI could understand it's not the retailers to blame here. I also don't think the couriers are in the wrong either. It costs more so they should have to pay more. Just because they are part of the UK that shouldn't change anything
You don't have to prove anything but you made some assertions which, on the information you've provided, don't stand up.
ceres

You don't have to prove anything but you made some assertions which, on … You don't have to prove anything but you made some assertions which, on the information you've provided, don't stand up.

You only have to look at the rest of the market such as interparcel, parcel2go..... If they COULD charge less they would, they are competing with each other
you_gotta_be_kidding

You only have to look at the rest of the market such as interparcel, … You only have to look at the rest of the market such as interparcel, parcel2go..... If they COULD charge less they would, they are competing with each other

You were discussing your service which you say you get from Parcelforce.
whatsThePoint

why we're at it, op why do companies such as yours charge more to deliver … why we're at it, op why do companies such as yours charge more to deliver to me on the isle of man, its twice as far to NI so it should only cost ½ the price, i can only put it down to stores trying to make extra profit at my expense, rant over/

FAIL.... Companies such as mine don't, as we charge the same to isle of man as we do UK mainland as our couriers for some stupid reason class that as UK mainland.... We charge what our couriers charge plus 40p for packaging.

The only areas we pay more and charge more for are NI, ROI, Highlands, Shetlands
It doesn't cost me anything extra to post to England from NI, but it costs more to get delivered to NI from England...

Although I don't post stuff very often, I buy often enough - for this reason I do not use eBuyer and MyProtein takes the urine (especially to deliver a sachet of protein, a 40g sample that would fit in an envelope has the same delivery charge as a 5 KG tub? Get a grip).
you_gotta_be_kidding

Which couriers? any decent ones charge more....All the crap ones such as … Which couriers? any decent ones charge more....All the crap ones such as Hermes, Royal Mail are plain useless and too slow

We use ParcelRite, part of APC.
Time to join the rest of the population and go on jobseekers lol
you_gotta_be_kidding

FACT your parcel needs to go on a boat or plane so it costs more to get … FACT your parcel needs to go on a boat or plane so it costs more to get to you. Opinions?

Parcels need to go on a boat or plane to get here (Isle of Man) but most companies don't charge any extra as you have said yourself
Edited by: "souljacker" 5th Jun 2013
I live in northern ireland and i accept the fact that parcels need to go on a boat or plane to get here from the mainland and will of course cost more for postage. The thing that winds me up is when a retailer on the likes of ebay state that they post to the uk but when asked for a quote to NI or when the item is bought and paid for won't send to NI even with the offer of extra postage. In that respect we are definately in the UK so if posting to NI isn't something you are prepared to do then make sure you state "MAINLAND UK ONLY". I have shipped plenty of stuff from NI to the mainland and the postage isn't usually a lot more. The post office prices online are complete BS because I priced a 60x40x40 box weighing 15kg the online prices was £75 but Parcelforce 48hr signed for was £27 when I took the package to my local Post Office. The exact same service for less than half the price. Just like everything else in modern life you need to shop around and don't assume you are being quoted correctly.
We use Parcel Force and for the general public the prices they quote on their website are the same price anywhere in the UK and Isle of Man (but not the Channel Islands).

HOWEVER for account customers they discount these prices and charge different amounts for Zone 1, Zone 2 (Scottish Highlands and Islands) and Zone 3 (Northern Ireland and the Isles of Scilly plus the Isle of Man). There is also a surcharge for the Isle of Wight and a very small surcharge (pence) for Central London.

Zone 2: IV, HS, KA27-28, KW, PA20-49, PA60-78, PH17-26, PH30-44, PH49-50, ZE
Zone 3: BT, IM, TR21-25
Cental London surcharges: SW1A, SW1E, SW1H, SW1P, SW1V, SW1W, SW1X, SW1Y, W1A, W1B, W1C, W1D, W1F, W1G, W1H, W1J, W1K, W1S, W1T, W1U, W1W, WC1A, WC1B, WC1E, WC1H, WC1N, WC1R, WC1V, WC1X,
WC2A, WC2B, WC2E, WC2H, WC2N, WC2R, EC1A, EC1M, EC1N, EC1P, EC1R, EC1V, EC1Y, EC2A, EC2M, EC2N, EC2P, EC2R, EC2V, EC2Y, EC3A, EC3M, EC3N, EC3P, EC3R, EC3V, EC4A, EC4M, EC4N, EC4P, EC4R, EC4V, EC4Y

Thanks for reminding me of this ancient thread.
This is an on going issue for people who purchase from Northern Ireland from the "mainland" and until it stabalises This thread should stay active, but although it may not be directly the retailers fault, there are deals that they could benefit shopping around especially for NI customers to keep the delivery low. Not very many do as they are held to contract to make things easier therefore competition is always low. I understand that delivery can cost a bit more to cover the boat across but unfortunately there is no justification on a double the price value that we are issued... Or from free delivery to £10 for example. It just doesn't add up. And I am sure there is a large majority of deliveries that are made from NI as a large majority of our orders are from the mainland. NI might be a smaller place but if you took our revenue out of the equation you would be a lot worse off ... Could we even be as much as a quarter of the mainland retails revenue?!
Of course retailers should pass on the extra cost they incurr in sending to Northern Ireland. However, I have been charged extortionate rates which when queried are justifed by the retailer in terms of "just passing on what our couriers charge", when the item if sent through the post office can be delivered for under £3. It is also difficult to understand why other retailers are able to send goods without any or a small surcharge, examples being Amazon, John Lewis and Appliances Online (whose surcharge on a dishwasher recently was a reasonable £12, rather than £30-40 demanded by others). Another example is a firm who wanted £15 to deliver a Filofax refill) One also frequently come across retailer who do not deliver to Northern Ireland at all, even when it is clear that the item will be sent by Royal Mail.
Disgsusted

Of course retailers should pass on the extra cost they incurr in sending … Of course retailers should pass on the extra cost they incurr in sending to Northern Ireland. However, I have been charged extortionate rates which when queried are justifed by the retailer in terms of "just passing on what our couriers charge", when the item if sent through the post office can be delivered for under £3. It is also difficult to understand why other retailers are able to send goods without any or a small surcharge, examples being Amazon, John Lewis and Appliances Online (whose surcharge on a dishwasher recently was a reasonable £12, rather than £30-40 demanded by others). Another example is a firm who wanted £15 to deliver a Filofax refill) One also frequently come across retailer who do not deliver to Northern Ireland at all, even when it is clear that the item will be sent by Royal Mail.

our parcels cost more to send with royal mail as they are oversize, that said however it's a 14 mile round trip to the post office, with driving queuing etc that's a member of staff out of action for an hour. total cost would be well over what it would physically cost me to send it with parcel force. large retailers have much greater power to get favourable prices for NI. We use a contact called despatch bay and the prices are significantly higher for NI, highlands etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants