Not much luck getting much of a discount from Sky

Found 8th Jan
I have just spent 30 minutes talking to a Sky adviser about getting a better offer. I'm currently paying £32 a month for the Variety TV package and £30.24 for Unlimited Broadband and Anytime calls. The adviser said that the best he could do would be to reduce my monthly bill from £62.24 to ££55.24, so a saving of £7 a month. He also told me that if I decided to get rid of the Sky TV package, my broadband package would go up from £32 a month to £42! I've just given 31 days' notice for both, so in the meantime will wait and see if they make me a better offer.

I have now just been sent this in an email:-

Your Sky Talk and Sky Broadband Fibre will be cancelled on 09/02/2018.

Please note it can take up to ten working days for the broadband service to be removed from your phone line, after which your new provider will be able to take over your phone line.

Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will then have to wait up to 10 working days without any internet at all? What happens if I find another provider a week or so before this date, does that also mean that I can't have their internet up and running for up to 10 working days after 09/02/2018 then? I hope not, as I rely on the internet for my work!
QuoteLikePermalinkEditDelete
Post a comment

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry, I meant to say my broadband package would go up from £30.24 a month to £40.24, not my tv package.

They would not do me a deal on broadband but reduced my Verity to £16 that's half price. You will get letters and calls before your notice is served.

You can always book in to get a new service connected the next day after

Original Poster

I'm just wondering, when I am disconnected from Sky totally on 9/2/18, how long do I have to leave it before I can get accepted back on a new customer deal - is there a minimum of several months/year? Also, the adviser said that the dish and my Sky+HD box are mine to keep as I have now paid for them. What about the Sky Hub is that mine as well - not sure if I could actually make use of it still? If I go back to Sky after several months (if I am allowed to as a new customer), will they insist that I have to use the Sky+HD box that I currently have here, or will I be eligible for one of the newer Sky Q boxes? Thank you.

I cancelled then if you go into your account on your tele you will probably get an offer show up. Mines is at 30% off for a year. This was the same last year and when it got to a couple of days before disconnection it offer 60% off for the year. Just enjoy the waiting game.

Original Poster

alankfc027 m ago

I cancelled then if you go into your account on your tele you will …I cancelled then if you go into your account on your tele you will probably get an offer show up. Mines is at 30% off for a year. This was the same last year and when it got to a couple of days before disconnection it offer 60% off for the year. Just enjoy the waiting game.

The adviser that I spoke to said that if I change my mind in the 31 days notice period, it's important that if I want to keep my internet, that they have around 7 days notice, as if not it will be too late to keep it. Did you get the 60% discount around a week before the deadline? Thank you.

I’m sure it was around a week after I cancelled. Only difference I just have tv.

Original Poster

alankfc0232 m ago

I’m sure it was around a week after I cancelled. Only difference I just h …I’m sure it was around a week after I cancelled. Only difference I just have tv.

Ok thank you. I will wait and see if they offer me anything better.

I only have TV, when I phoned I got offered 50% off which is £6pm more than I pay now but they were insisting on an 18 month contract which I declined. I've had a call & letter both offering 40% off and on my sky account its offering 30%. I'll be playing the waiting game and hope for something better

"Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will then have to wait up to 10 working days without any internet at all? What happens if I find another provider a week or so before this date, does that also mean that I can't have their internet up and running for up to 10 working days after 09/02/2018 then? I hope not, as I rely on the internet for my work!"

You can switch providers and that cancels your Sky broadband, you can't switch with a pending cease though.
So that means going without service, you have to wait for the line to be stopped, then order services again, which will take anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on what broadband you order and the availability of Openreach engineers when you order.

Original Poster

After my phone call this afternoon, I'm no longer able to access my Sky account on-line - I keep getting a message saying 'This page isn't working', so I don't know if they are doing something with my account at the moment. Can you actually access your Sky account on the tv set, as I can't find out how to do this? Yes, I'm going to wait as well for a little while and see if anything happens.

Sky's best deals come from their win back team, however you have to leave to qualify for them, maybe find a new internet provider and make do with NowTV, Amazon or Freeview for a month, then go back to Sky for TV.

I have their Sky Q box and the mini box with everything except for sports and movies, I pay £31 on a 12 month contract since expired and they gave me £130 in credit, odd thing is the discounts last for 3 years, so I can leave anytime i want.

I ditched Sky a few months ago, to be honest the only thing I miss is the live pause, I now have Nowtv Amazon Prime (I use it a lot for next day deliveries ) and Netflix, it's a bit like what you don't have you don't miss, when I looked on the box what I had recorded 99% was on freesat. I won't be returning to them.

4 plus years with sky and all I got was a discount of £1 a month on my whole £65 package! Left them and moved to virgin, £56 package (which was all the channels I had with sky) plus I now have 109mbps broadband when I was only getting 7mbps with sky. I have bt sports and my Netflix paid for 6 months and £100 voucher.

I am with sky for TV only , our discount was coming to an end so I did the usual rang up trying to get a better deal but to no avail , so we cancelled expecting phone calls and letters but nothing so we were disconnected . I then rang up about 3 weeks after and managed to get a half decent deal.
Edited by: "moschops1" 9th Jan

i wish they were regulated

I left Sky because of the price hike a few months ago. After 30 days of using a Kodi box Sky called and offered me my old package plus HD and box sets for £9.50/month, a saving of £30.

Original Poster

ItWasNotMe13 h, 0 m ago

"Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will …"Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will then have to wait up to 10 working days without any internet at all? What happens if I find another provider a week or so before this date, does that also mean that I can't have their internet up and running for up to 10 working days after 09/02/2018 then? I hope not, as I rely on the internet for my work!"You can switch providers and that cancels your Sky broadband, you can't switch with a pending cease though.So that means going without service, you have to wait for the line to be stopped, then order services again, which will take anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on what broadband you order and the availability of Openreach engineers when you order.

ItWasNotMe13 h, 0 m ago

"Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will …"Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will then have to wait up to 10 working days without any internet at all? What happens if I find another provider a week or so before this date, does that also mean that I can't have their internet up and running for up to 10 working days after 09/02/2018 then? I hope not, as I rely on the internet for my work!"You can switch providers and that cancels your Sky broadband, you can't switch with a pending cease though.So that means going without service, you have to wait for the line to be stopped, then order services again, which will take anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on what broadband you order and the availability of Openreach engineers when you order.

I used to be with Virgin Media (wires etc all removed now) and when I changed over to Sky, I'm sure that my internet was up and running the day that Virgin Media ended. So, are you saying that with Sky, I won't be able to ring up and switch to another provider until the day my current contract ends on the 9/2/18? I've looked at a BT package and they say you can choose to self-install with mini connectors (£20 charge). When I got Sky I had to have an Openreach box fitted to the wall and that is currently being used for my Sky internet, etc, can't the same Openreach box be used for BT? Thank you.

33023964-SFXAv.jpgI put in my notice last month, they just sent me this through the post today. I previously turned down 2 offers of 50% 18 month contract (hoping for 60%+), I just signed up for 50% for 12 months.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 9th Jan

Original Poster

RiverDragon83 h, 31 m ago

[Image] I put in my notice last month, they just sent me this through the …[Image] I put in my notice last month, they just sent me this through the post today. I previously turned down 2 offers of 50% 18 month contract (hoping for 60%+), I just signed up for 50% for 12 months.

Did you have just the tv with Sky or internet and phone as well? Just wondering that if they offer me this, they will then still and charge me the £10 extra for my internet as well, so then I would only be making a saving of £6 a month and not £16.

I have just the TV with Sky. They really should offer you a deal on everything, my brother gets everything from Sky and he's currently on 50% deal. Ring the above number and explain to them that you currently get everything with them and you want a retention offer (minimum you take is 50%).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 9th Jan

Original Poster

I did actually get through to the retentions team today, but the man I spoke to was the one that offered me the deal that I mentioned. Just managed to access my Sky account, and they have now offered me 30% off of my Variety tv package for 12 months, but will wait a bit longer. Do you or anybody else know how long it has to be after you have left Sky before you can be classed as a new customer again? Just wondering if I left it a month and then tried to rejoin, would they give me a new Sky Q box - I currently have one of the older Sky+HD boxes, or would they expect me to use my own Sky+HD box (they said it would be my property after I leave them). Just wondering about the dish as well - would they provide a newer one or use my existing one (again, my property after I have left them)? Thank you.

Sky Q box is free BUT you need to pay £12 pm sub (Sky don't simply give you one box they give you two) . Downstairs I have Sky Variety for the family but upstairs I have Now TV. I get my entertainment passes from eBay (£4 for 2 months pass x 6 = £24 for the year). I share my Now TV account with my brother so it works out £12 a year... £1 pm which is a cheaper alternative than Sky Q.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 10th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants