Groups

Not the first time...sad news

Two men have been arrested over the death of a 15-year-old girl who died after apparently suffering an allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
    Megan Lee, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, died on 1 January, two days after she was admitted to hospital.

The men, both staff at the Indian takeaway, are being held on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by gross negligence, Lancashire Police said.

A police and trading standards investigation is continuing.

The arrested men, aged 37 and 38 and from Rossendale and Blackburn respectively, remain in custody for questioning.
    A post-mortem examination has been carried out but police said the full results would not be known "for some time".
    The takeaway involved, in the Hyndburn area, has not been identified.

bbc.co.uk/new…446

60 Comments

Banned

What is "not for the first time" David?

Is it nut allergy?

sad news?

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

What is "not for the first time" David?

it means that it happened before.

Original Poster

kingk123

sad news?

15 year old child dead due to complacency is sad isn't it, maybe not to you?

Sad news. I think that the best thing to do is if you or a child have a serious allergy then avoid eating at takeaways altogether. I know it sounds extreme but someone preparing meals for masses of people will never show the same amount of care as you would yourself.

It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly why they posted this and linked to the other story.

Banned

davewave

it means that it happened before.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant.

I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian restaurant at all.

Sad news indeed.

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly … It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly why they posted this and linked to the other story.

Sherlock. I got it. Hence the question.

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly … It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly why they posted this and linked to the other story.

odd comment.

davewave

odd comment.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/64865291.jpg

Original Poster

RonChew

very similar comments from multiple posters.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Posted it due to it being a latest news story?.

Posted it as he/she feels its a tragic event?.

Posted it to make people aware of the importance of food allergies?.

May she r.i.p.

Hard to judge as we don't really know the facts.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

...and those that know you (well, the real you), will know why you are in this thread too.

fanpages

...and those that know you (well, the real you), will know why you are in … ...and those that know you (well, the real you), will know why you are in this thread too.

Can you ever really know the real somebody?

If you're fanpages, apparently not. X)

Anyway, this is a tragic case that doesn't actually have an explanation yet and of course parents should be aware of allergies. But I think people are kidding if they think OP doesn't have an agenda that isn't about food safety.

YouDontWantToKnow

Thank you for clarifying what you meant. I know if I had a nut allergy I … Thank you for clarifying what you meant. I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian restaurant at all. Sad news indeed.

"I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian restaurant at all"

Why?

Fred Smith

"I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian … "I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian restaurant at all"Why?

In case the disgruntled staff t-bagged the meal before it left the kitchen.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know … It's a tragic death but I think people who know the OP will know exactly why they posted this and linked to the other story.

fanpages

...and those that know you (well, the real you), will know why you are … ...and those that know you (well, the real you), will know why you are in this thread too.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Can you ever really know the real somebody?If you're fanpages, apparently … Can you ever really know the real somebody?If you're fanpages, apparently not. X)

I don't think I will find out my purpose on the planet until it is too late so, personally, no.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Anyway, this is a tragic case that doesn't actually have an explanation … Anyway, this is a tragic case that doesn't actually have an explanation yet and of course parents should be aware of allergies. But I think people are kidding if they think OP doesn't have an agenda that isn't about food safety.

I stopped "eating out" years ago due to my own food intolerances so I would imagine it is not uncommon for those with more severe symptoms to not bother either.

Allergies may not be apparent from an early age, & food preparation in an area shared with a food substance not encountered to date may well instigate a reaction not seen before.

The country of origin of certain ingredients, such as those that use pesticides on crops, may change on visits to the same restaurant too, so even if the components of a meal have not changed, a reaction may be discovered on a subsequent visit.

It is so very sad ! I have a nut allergy and if I go to any takeaways or restaurants I have to make them aware As they have to cook my food separately! The work has got better when it comes to food allergies and intolerances , but they were obviously lapse!!!

Disgusting

its to be hoped this isn't the same as the guy from York who had liked takeaways all his life, if I remember right he was a chef and had managed his allergy for 30 years,
    it was the restaurant owner using substitute ingredients to save money that killed him.
    may she rest in peace and her family learn the truth.

Banned

Fred Smith

"I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian … "I know if I had a nut allergy I would not ever eat in any indian restaurant at all"Why?

Oh by the way you are on ignore because you have gone right back to your pre-christmas behaviour & the only reason I know you quoted me is from fanpages requote.

Good luck with the AEs.

outlet cutting corners again I suppose, using the cheap mixed nut powder.

such a tragic waste of a young life & completely avoidable

DarkEnergy2012

outlet cutting corners again I suppose, using the cheap mixed nut … outlet cutting corners again I suppose, using the cheap mixed nut powder.such a tragic waste of a young life & completely avoidable

Sshh, HEAWD will call you out as having an agenda.

DarkEnergy2012

outlet cutting corners again I suppose, using the cheap mixed nut … outlet cutting corners again I suppose, using the cheap mixed nut powder.such a tragic waste of a young life & completely avoidable

J4GG4

Sshh, HEAWD will call you out as having an agenda.

Assuming he is not at the yearly convention.

Seems odd to me that someone can be arrested for serving lawful food.

radium

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

radium

I suspect those that favour McDonald's, Burger King, &/or KFC for most meals also have coronary arrests.

radium

So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that this is the case before placing an order, yet they served food with nuts in it and it killed your relative, is it your fault or your relatives?.

deeky

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

Tragic as it is, I can see his point. It's not like the food was laced with arsenic - peanuts are a food stuff, and are widely used in Indian cuisine. If you have a severe allergy, you have to consider the possibility that through negligence, human error or some kind of cross contamination, food you haven't prepared yourself may end up containing an allergen.
    It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain nuts' - even nuts.
    Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 9th Jan

radium

J4GG4

So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that … So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that this is the case before placing an order, yet they served food with nuts in it and it killed your relative, is it your fault or your relatives?.

Yes.

However, did Megan's parents make this known, or ask about the ingredients, preparation, &/or cooking area?

fivegoldstars

...It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain … ...It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain nuts' - even nuts.

HotUKDeals' "Misc" Forum; may contain nuts.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150220233403/glee/images/c/ca/Simples.gif

fanpages

I think that goes without saying

YouDontWantToKnow

Oh by the way you are on ignore because you have gone right back to your … Oh by the way you are on ignore because you have gone right back to your pre-christmas behaviour & the only reason I know you quoted me is from fanpages requote. Good luck with the AEs.

Oooh goody. (can someone who is not on YouDontWantToKnows norty list please quote this)

Banned

fanpages

Does contain

fivegoldstars

...It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain … ...It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain nuts' - even nuts.

fanpages

YouDontWantToKnow

Does contain

http://www.oda.state.ok.us/images/farmeddeer.jpg

Contained does.

fivegoldstars

Tragic as it is, I can see his point. It's not like the food was laced … Tragic as it is, I can see his point. It's not like the food was laced with arsenic - peanuts are a food stuff, and are widely used in Indian cuisine. If you have a severe allergy, you have to consider the possibility that through negligence, human error or some kind of cross contamination, food you haven't prepared yourself may end up containing an allergen. It seems the thing to do is simply label everything as 'may contain nuts' - even nuts.

They've arrested him, not charged him with anything yet as far as I know. They are right to investigate and if it's found that the restaurant/chef were negligent then they should face the consequences. Just because nuts are legal it doesn't it doesn't relieve them of any responsibility.

radium

J4GG4

So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that … So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that this is the case before placing an order, yet they served food with nuts in it and it killed your relative, is it your fault or your relatives?.

I don't remember seeing any mention of the full story as to what happened. Assuming they would of asked if it contains nuts or if it would of been prepared around nuts. At least my cousins parents do that everywhere they go as she has a nut allergy. Actually i recall one instance when i was with them in an Indian restaurant, they specifically asked if there was nuts in a specific dish, which they said there wasn't. 10 minutes later her lips had swollen up and had to rush to a chemist for medication.

IMO its the restaurants responsibility to notify the consumer if theres nuts inside the dish, or traces of nuts, or if certain ingredients are made in a factory/environment where there may be nuts, or if its prepared around nuts. Consumers can't play a guessing game in these kind of instances. At the same time restaurants must know if you have a nut allergy too, they can't play guessing games either.
    Edited by: "J4GG4" 9th Jan

J4GG4

​That's a different scenario. I wasn't aware that the girl had made that request.

J4GG4

So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway … So if your relative had a nut allergy and you notified the takeaway that this is the case before placing an order, yet they served food with nuts in it and it killed your relative, is it your fault or your relatives?.

fanpages

Yes.However, did Megan's parents make this known, or ask about the … Yes.However, did Megan's parents make this known, or ask about the ingredients, preparation, &/or cooking area?

J4GG4

I don't remember seeing any mention of the full story as to what … I don't remember seeing any mention of the full story as to what happened...

That was my point.

I have not read that in the article (page) linked in this thread's description.
    It is also not mentioned in the follow-up article at the bottom of that page:

[ bbc.co.uk/new…478 ]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions