Not worth self isolating while kids are still attending school

Posted 14th Mar
I’ve recently thought that due to the Coronavirus that maybe I should avoid the gym etc, but came to the conclusion that as long as the schools are open there is no possible way of me avoiding contracting the virus.What are everyone else’s views
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Unless you are being advised by a subject matter expert, any other "view" is irrelevant and probably dangerous.

I am just not able to understand why people can't behave like sheep when it matters (following medical / expert advice) but do when it is stupid to do so (stocking up on toilet paper).
It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You could get it from your kid then infect 20 others at the gym.
paul.williamsA4v14/03/2020 11:17

Problem is you stop going to the gym and the health and well-being going …Problem is you stop going to the gym and the health and well-being going to the gym gives you goes out the window and you get the virus anyway but this time twice as bad as if you’d been to the gym and improved your immune system,catch 22 so I came to the gym anyway but just washed my hands a lot more

If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune system so much, then there are other issues.
winzzz14/03/2020 09:06

It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You cou …It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You could get it from your kid then infect 20 others at the gym.

Exactly. Some people argue that everyone in the gym is fit and can fight it off, but they could pass it on to an OAP or someone with health conditions either directly or indirectly and this is where the virus wreaks havoc. For once, we should stop being selfish and do our best to control the virus from spreading.
48 Comments
It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You could get it from your kid then infect 20 others at the gym.
If they shut schools that would only prolong it. I, e we virtually get rid of it then reopen schools but one person happens to be infected it would start all over again etc.. Hence what was the point in closing them in the first place. Self isolation is probably the best thing to help slow it down.
I’m all for self isolation I think that if it gets bad and everyone self isolated for 2 weeks we could purge it from the system, but there’s no way everybody would stick to it unless we used stricter measures with the army and roadblocks on main roads etc
Unless you are being advised by a subject matter expert, any other "view" is irrelevant and probably dangerous.

I am just not able to understand why people can't behave like sheep when it matters (following medical / expert advice) but do when it is stupid to do so (stocking up on toilet paper).
I think think that most users of this site have already taken isolation seriously.
The majority of the posts are about video games.

They're the ones that we'll be counting on to repopulate our planet. It's not a pleasant prospect.
winzzz14/03/2020 09:06

It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You cou …It’s not only about you, it’s about you infecting others as well. You could get it from your kid then infect 20 others at the gym.

Exactly. Some people argue that everyone in the gym is fit and can fight it off, but they could pass it on to an OAP or someone with health conditions either directly or indirectly and this is where the virus wreaks havoc. For once, we should stop being selfish and do our best to control the virus from spreading.
For me it is about minimising risk. I won't be attending the gym as it's a high risk area (touching equipment, sweat, increased respiration in an enclosed space).

As for kids at school the science proves that the transmission rate for children is extremely low.
So I personally don't think they should close and individual parents should take the responsibility. If you or your child is showing symptoms then isolate.
If picking up children from school in the car stay in the car if you can. If you have to go to the school gates stand away from other parents. It's all just common sense really.
40103394-pkumY.jpg
Well, the advice, correctly, is to self-isolate, as a generalised theory, which is true not false.

But, the advice lacks practical implementation ability, period. Therefore , the advice can be impossible to realise.

Practical implementation for self/family/group:-

1. Provide your own facilities, spare house, isolation room, self-contained conversion..., or
2. Take it on the chin as when you have no own facility: impossible unless a third party gives you isolation facility at affordable cost.
Better off sending every old person and those with health conditions to weston-super-mare to self isolate for a month, and then everyone else get back to work, build up immunity.
If you think about it you can see why they haven’t closed schools just yet, kids left on their own, going out with friends, not following the hygiene rules and being looked after by grandparents. At least in school it restricts their movement and can control the hygiene side of things a little more than it would be if they were out of school for months.
Problem is you stop going to the gym and the health and well-being going to the gym gives you goes out the window and you get the virus anyway but this time twice as bad as if you’d been to the gym and improved your immune system,catch 22 so I came to the gym anyway but just washed my hands a lot more
MrKrabs14/03/2020 11:11

Better off sending every old person and those with health conditions to …Better off sending every old person and those with health conditions to weston-super-mare to self isolate for a month, and then everyone else get back to work, build up immunity.

You know this technically this could work,no joke

Problem is you stop going to the gym and the health and well-being going …Problem is you stop going to the gym and the health and well-being going to the gym gives you goes out the window and you get the virus anyway but this time twice as bad as if you’d been to the gym and improved your immune system,catch 22 so I came to the gym anyway but just washed my hands a lot more

If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune system so much, then there are other issues.
bozo00714/03/2020 11:28

If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune …If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune system so much, then there are other issues.

But the point is if other people are going to carry on as normal then what point will me stopping going improve things,until everything is legally enforced with consequences then life will just carry on as normal,at this point I think the government should shut schools etc down but I know this won’t happen
I get up at 5.15am to go the gym 7 days a week, normally I do not stop work/excersise when I have a cold etc but I have certain symptoms at the moment so today is the first day I've not been to the gym for a long time. I already feel bad for it mentally, but given the circumstances I felt it was the right thing to do 'just incase' even though it's likely just a cold or similar and even if it was the virus I likely wouldn't even know the difference.

If I was feeling normal with no symptoms and the gym was open and there was no advice to stay in then I would still be going. When I start to feel better again I'll be going back as soon as I feel is appropriate. I'll just have to suck it up and do home workouts and go for runs out in the countryside. Even when I'm feeling under the weather, when you are used to constant exercise nothing stops you so it is frustrating to say the least.
bozo00714/03/2020 11:28

If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune …If 2-3 weeks of not going to the gym is going to compromise your immune system so much, then there are other issues.

Exactly!
I’m not prepared to stop doing everything to protect 80 year old Margaret down the road who is still catching the bus to ethels on a daily basis and still attending prize bingo down her local working men’s club,why should I
Rusty8214/03/2020 12:02

I get up at 5.15am to go the gym 7 days a week, normally I do not stop …I get up at 5.15am to go the gym 7 days a week, normally I do not stop work/excersise when I have a cold etc but I have certain symptoms at the moment so today is the first day I've not been to the gym for a long time. I already feel bad for it mentally, but given the circumstances I felt it was the right thing to do 'just incase' even though it's likely just a cold or similar and even if it was the virus I likely wouldn't even know the difference. If I was feeling normal with no symptoms and the gym was open and there was no advice to stay in then I would still be going. When I start to feel better again I'll be going back as soon as I feel is appropriate. I'll just have to suck it up and do home workouts and go for runs out in the countryside. Even when I'm feeling under the weather, when you are used to constant exercise nothing stops you so it is frustrating to say the least.

I totally agree with you here,exercise becomes a habit to help both physically and mentally,made a massive improvement in my life.
paul.williamsA4v14/03/2020 11:51

But the point is if other people are going to carry on as normal then what …But the point is if other people are going to carry on as normal then what point will me stopping going improve things,until everything is legally enforced with consequences then life will just carry on as normal,at this point I think the government should shut schools etc down but I know this won’t happen

If you really have stop going to the gym, just go for a jog, or purchase/use some weights at home for the time being. Just to keep your fitness levels current.

I think schools will shut if it does carry on the way it is. Remember in children that this is thought to be very mild, and in some cases some children/people can be contagious but never even develop symptoms. In fact people are more infectious in the early stages when there may not be any apparent illness. Of course the danger is passing it on to people (young and old) with underlying health conditions.
Edited by: "guru404" 14th Mar
guru40414/03/2020 12:09

If you really have stop going to the gym, just go for a jog, or …If you really have stop going to the gym, just go for a jog, or purchase/use some weights at home for the time being. Just to keep your fitness levels current.I think schools will shut if it does carry on the way it is. Remember in children that this is thought to be very mild, and in some cases some children/people can be contagious but never even develop symptoms. In fact people are more infectious in the early stages when there may not be any apparent illness. Of course the danger is passing it on to people (young and old) with underlying health conditions.

As soon as the schools and businesses close this is exactly what I will do.Ive got box vr and a few kettlebells lying around which I will use for a while
Doesn’t help that my workplace went into liquidation last week after 4 years of working there,so this is a really difficult time anyway with all of the current situation

Without me sounding like a broken record. I need to recover my immune system after my regular prescription drug is no longer in my system. I will be following 3 day fast to reset my immune system. Others might want to consider this methodology

I do attend the gym 6 days a week at the moment
Edited by: "OllieSt" 14th Mar
MrKrabs14/03/2020 11:11

Better off sending every old person and those with health conditions to …Better off sending every old person and those with health conditions to weston-super-mare to self isolate for a month, and then everyone else get back to work, build up immunity.

It is said that you can not build an immune to the virus as people have caught it, got better, then catch it again. The virus hasn't been around long enough for us to see if people can build up immunity to the disease.
The gym was just as busy as a regular Saturday,still nobody flushing the toilet after themselves etc
mutley114/03/2020 12:38

It is said that you can not build an immune to the virus as people have …It is said that you can not build an immune to the virus as people have caught it, got better, then catch it again. The virus hasn't been around long enough for us to see if people can build up immunity to the disease.

"It is said". By who? Got any credible links?

It goes against everything we know about this groups of viruses. So if you have had Covid19 they you will have immunity to it. How long that lasts is currently unknown.
The other major concern is if/when it mutates. This will likely show in China first later in 2020 if it does happen.

Lets get the current situation out the way before speculation of the future.
Lets say they shut all the schools, I'm not sure on pupil numbers, I've no kids at school. But how are they (the parents) going to keep their kids indoors or in fact bother. It's not going to work. They will just see it as an extra holiday.
Edited by: "richp" 14th Mar
I think the schools should stay open for now, but let the parents decide if their kids should attend, and the schools should offer lessons via the internet for kids whose parents want to keep them at home.
The government's advice to the public is based on the government's agenda, which almost certainly won't be the same agenda as you or I.

The government's agenda is to try and protect the NHS. The NHS can deal with x number of patients but if the virus was to spread uncontrollably, there will be many more than x hospitalised, therefore they are trying to spread the infections out over time. Thus, they aren't too bothered IF you get it, rather than WHEN you get it.

I'm pretty sure there is money to be made as well, so I'm sure this affects their decision making too.
Pandamansays14/03/2020 15:52

The government's advice to the public is based on the government's agenda, …The government's advice to the public is based on the government's agenda, which almost certainly won't be the same agenda as you or I.The government's agenda is to try and protect the NHS. The NHS can deal with x number of patients but if the virus was to spread uncontrollably, there will be many more than x hospitalised, therefore they are trying to spread the infections out over time. Thus, they aren't too bothered IF you get it, rather than WHEN you get it.I'm pretty sure there is money to be made as well, so I'm sure this affects their decision making too.

Care to elaborate on your theory of them making money?
There just won’t be enough ventilators etc to cope there are now 1140 confirmed cases a rise of 242 in 1 day
paul.williamsA4v14/03/2020 16:00

There just won’t be enough ventilators etc to cope there are now 1140 c …There just won’t be enough ventilators etc to cope there are now 1140 confirmed cases a rise of 242 in 1 day

Thats that then.
fearona14/03/2020 15:59

The Chancellor had just announced a huge increase in public spending somewhere in the region of £175bn+ to be financed through additional borrowing. At the same time the B of E interest rates have just been cut from 0.75% to 0.25% under the guise of helping the virus situation. That equates to some serious money right there.
Pandamansays14/03/2020 16:11

The Chancellor had just announced a huge increase in public spending …The Chancellor had just announced a huge increase in public spending somewhere in the region of £175bn+ to be financed through additional borrowing. At the same time the B of E interest rates have just been cut from 0.75% to 0.25% under the guise of helping the virus situation. That equates to some serious money right there.

You havent shown me anything except the figures that are already in the domain that we already know of.
So back to the question?
fearona14/03/2020 15:59

Edited by: "fearona" 14th Mar
There is no way to stop it. It’s like trying to avoid catching a cold. It will come back year after year. The reason in trying to delay things is so a vaccine can be developed. I think the old/ vulnerable should be extra vigilant and the rest of us just carry on as normal i.e. good hygiene etc
JumpMan198014/03/2020 18:39

There is no way to stop it. It’s like trying to avoid catching a cold. It w …There is no way to stop it. It’s like trying to avoid catching a cold. It will come back year after year. The reason in trying to delay things is so a vaccine can be developed. I think the old/ vulnerable should be extra vigilant and the rest of us just carry on as normal i.e. good hygiene etc

They say a vaccine wont be available for at least a year. The aim is to spread the cases out over a longer period so that there are enough intensive care beds to treat the seriously ill patients, which won't just be the elderly, and they try to avoid having to choose who gets treatment and who dies.
Edited by: "melted" 14th Mar
melted14/03/2020 19:04

They say a vaccine wont be available for at least a year. The aim is to …They say a vaccine wont be available for at least a year. The aim is to spread the cases out over a longer period so that there are enough intensive care beds to treat the seriously ill patients, which won't just be the elderly, and they try to avoid having to choose who gets treatment and who dies.

That’s what I meant
JumpMan198014/03/2020 19:24

That’s what I meant

The funny thing is the nhs right now can’t even cope on a normal day never mind a pandemic like this
The waiting times on a normal day are massive this is just never going to work
GAVINLEWISHUKD14/03/2020 13:10

"It is said". By who? Got any credible links?It goes against everything we …"It is said". By who? Got any credible links?It goes against everything we know about this groups of viruses. So if you have had Covid19 they you will have immunity to it. How long that lasts is currently unknown. The other major concern is if/when it mutates. This will likely show in China first later in 2020 if it does happen.Lets get the current situation out the way before speculation of the future.

edition.cnn.com/202…tml
"We have fewer tools and no natural immunity."

unherd.com/the…19/
"Of course, that assumes perfect immunity. If — as with flu — that’s not the case, the maths is very different. In fact, if the percentage who are still vulnerable after vaccination or exposure is greater than the percentage required for herd immunity, then it becomes impossible to achieve herd immunity, even if 100% of the population is exposed or vaccinated."

weforum.org/age…-us
"This means that achieving herd immunity to COVID-19 in the UK could result in the deaths of more a million people with a further eight million severe infections requiring critical care."
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants