Notemachine to start charging 95p per transaction for cash withdrawals at it’s ATM’s

Posted 22nd Apr
Just seen this in my local paper. Notemachine who own / run over 10,500 cash machines (1/5th of the countries ATM’s in total) are soon going to start charging 95p per cash withdrawal from about half of their cash machines. The ones in supermarkets and under contract are likely going to remain free to use but the rest (About 5000) will be making the charge.

Apparently, it’s down to Link who run the ATM network reducing the fee that the bank network pay Notemachine for running the cash points. The amount has recently decreased from 25p per transaction to 22.5p which doesn’t really (In my eyes) justify a 95p fee to users.

If people don’t use the machines when the new fees come in, the cash machines could be taken out all together leaving people having to go further to withdraw their cash.

It was in in one of my local papers as there are now no banks left in this particular area to withdraw cash over the counter and if you go to the shops, the minimum amount you can spend to get free cash back is £10 and you are limited to £50 too.

Many are saying it will end the use of paper money altogether and leave the older generation isolated and paying 95p to get £10 cash out.

The local mp has also got involved and said “This increase is simply wrong on top of the already crippling charges levied – the closure of banks means that access to cash is limited and these charges hit the poorest areas hardest.
"Given the high level of profits banks are making, it's vital that they maintain free access to cash, especially in small rural towns.”

What do you think about this? Would you pay to withdraw your cash?

3218738-DOdbQ.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
40 Comments
i would never pay to withdraw cash, tho i cant remember the last time i used cash so ya theres that (oh ya i can, to get the natwest switching offer, or more to the point to get my cash back in to my main bank, as they wouldnt let me do online transfers for more than £300 a time, so i did it over 3 days 3 x online dailys, and 2 atms daily)
no281326 m ago

i would never pay to withdraw cash, tho i cant remember the last time i …i would never pay to withdraw cash, tho i cant remember the last time i used cash so ya theres that (oh ya i can, to get the natwest switching offer, or more to the point to get my cash back in to my main bank, as they wouldnt let me do online transfers for more than £300 a time, so i did it over 3 days 3 x online dailys, and 2 atms daily)

Ok.
Sensationalist writing. No, I will not pay for my cash. I will stock up and keep at home.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 22nd Apr
It's just down to greed like most things.
there is no hard minimum spend to get cashback
brilly22/04/2019 13:48

there is no hard minimum spend to get cashback

In our local shop you have to spend £10 to get cash back - few others in my area like this too so I’m sure it’s not the only area. You are no longer allowed to charge a surcharge for using cards like just eat used to for 50p but at the moment, there is no law on minimum spends for using your cards. Mainly small local stores that do this as card charges are high for them.

Details >> nfrnonline.com/new…es/
emribena22/04/2019 14:02

In our local shop you have to spend £10 to get cash back - few others in …In our local shop you have to spend £10 to get cash back - few others in my area like this too so I’m sure it’s not the only area. You are no longer allowed to charge a surcharge for using cards like just eat used to for 50p but at the moment, there is no law on minimum spends for using your cards. Mainly small local stores that do this as card charges are high for them.Details >> https://nfrnonline.com/news/end-credit-debit-card-fees/

so... there is no hard minimum spend to get cashback
brilly22/04/2019 14:05

so... there is no hard minimum spend to get cashback

No there isn’t but you still have to spend to get get the cash back so it’s not a very good alternative if you just want cash. So if the card machine charges 95p you couldn’t get a pack of chewing gum or 10p sweets and then get cash back to “beat” the charge is what I am trying to say
I rarely use cash anyway these days I hate the stuff much prefer contactless!
Well thats Notemachine getting boycotted. Much prefer contactless anyway
I don’t remember the last time I got cash out, card only is the future 🏻
Can't find any information that this is nationwide.

I've been to three NoteMachine cashpoints over the Easter weekend and have not been charged.
Edited by: "MHusnat" 22nd Apr
A cashless society will only benefit the big banks. People need to refrain from using their cards as much as possible, particularly the small contactless transactions
Edited by: "ste_sully" 22nd Apr
MadeDixonsCry22/04/2019 13:45

Sensationalist writing. No, I will not pay for my cash. I will stock up …Sensationalist writing. No, I will not pay for my cash. I will stock up and keep at home.

Good to know. Where do you live again?
Start date not confirmed as yet - just says soon. Also just looked, its in the Mail now too
dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Shard3 m ago

Good to know. Where do you live again?

Third rock from the sun
emribena22/04/2019 16:42

Start date not confirmed as yet - just says soon. Also just looked, its in …Start date not confirmed as yet - just says soon. Also just looked, its in the Mail now too https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6917655/Thousands-ATMs-charge-95p-cash.html

and news storys on the mail are so true,

not doubting this one just saying in genreal
It's free to withdraw cash from the Post Office with no purchase required.
no281337 m ago

and news storys on the mail are so true, not doubting this one just saying …and news storys on the mail are so true, not doubting this one just saying in genreal

Yes I know, saw it in local paper first who are usually the last with anything
ste_sully22/04/2019 16:39

A cashless society will only benefit the big banks. People need to refrain …A cashless society will only benefit the big banks. People need to refrain from using their cards as much as possible, particularly the small contactless transactions

Card payments and contactless benefit us greatly. We don't have to carry extra notes or coins around. We don't need exact change for the bus, queues move faster because people aren't fiddling around getting change out of their wallets and purses and getting change back from cashiers, it's easier to track what you've spent on online banking than what cash you've spent /have left, we're not handling dirty germ ridden coins and notes and neither are cashiers, people save time not having to go deposit money in to their banks. Contactless payments reduce lines at bars and pubs

I'd happily never use cash again.
Ouenben2 m ago

Card payments and contactless benefit us greatly. We don't have to carry …Card payments and contactless benefit us greatly. We don't have to carry extra notes or coins around. We don't need exact change for the bus, queues move faster because people aren't fiddling around getting change out of their wallets and purses and getting change back from cashiers, it's easier to track what you've spent on online banking than what cash you've spent /have left, we're not handling dirty germ ridden coins and notes and neither are cashiers, people save time not having to go deposit money in to their banks. Contactless payments reduce lines at bars and pubs I'd happily never use cash again.

i think he meant the down side of everything costs more as processing fees are flatly leveled and added to all retail items, no matter what you buy or how you pay for it,

but maybe some how less note and coins help the banks to
If I was in a pickle and desperately needed the cash I'd use it but the last time I had to pay to get cash out was nearly 15 years ago and learnt from it. Luckily most things nowadays take card payments, I think for older generations there is a legitimate concern, one day we will be in their situation when all our details will be in our fingerprints/eyescans.
Ouenben28 m ago

Card payments and contactless benefit us greatly. We don't have to carry …Card payments and contactless benefit us greatly. We don't have to carry extra notes or coins around. We don't need exact change for the bus, queues move faster because people aren't fiddling around getting change out of their wallets and purses and getting change back from cashiers, it's easier to track what you've spent on online banking than what cash you've spent /have left, we're not handling dirty germ ridden coins and notes and neither are cashiers, people save time not having to go deposit money in to their banks. Contactless payments reduce lines at bars and pubs I'd happily never use cash again.

What happens when the card machines go down? Happened to me in asda a few months back and was grateful I had cash with me.

You are right card payments have benefited us greatly but I think cash will always be useful.
emribena22/04/2019 15:15

No there isn’t but you still have to spend to get get the cash back so i …No there isn’t but you still have to spend to get get the cash back so it’s not a very good alternative if you just want cash. So if the card machine charges 95p you couldn’t get a pack of chewing gum or 10p sweets and then get cash back to “beat” the charge is what I am trying to say

as you dont buy cheweing gum at any atm you wont get 95p charge
so you'll beat it every time
brilly3 m ago

as you dont buy cheweing gum at any atm you wont get 95p chargeso you'll …as you dont buy cheweing gum at any atm you wont get 95p chargeso you'll beat it every time

oh you dont need to give people ideas,

im sure mcd will try out air tube to atm deliverys soon
cash , whats that
lumsdot4 m ago

cash , whats that

wondering why i wasted the time but oh well

noun

money in coins or notes, as distinct from cheques, money orders, or credit.
"the staff were paid in cash"
synonyms:money, ready money/cash, currency, legal tender, hard cash; Moreverb

give or obtain notes or coins for (a cheque or money order).
"the bank cashed her cheque"
synonyms:exchange, change, convert into cash/money, turn into cash/money
I pay for literally everything via Debit/Credit Card.

I once paid for a item which was 10p via card..

And I frequently pay for items which are £1 via card.
The link network will fall to pieces in the next few years - it's not just profitable anymore.
emribena22/04/2019 14:02

In our local shop you have to spend £10 to get cash back - few others in …In our local shop you have to spend £10 to get cash back - few others in my area like this too so I’m sure it’s not the only area. You are no longer allowed to charge a surcharge for using cards like just eat used to for 50p but at the moment, there is no law on minimum spends for using your cards. Mainly small local stores that do this as card charges are high for them.Details >> https://nfrnonline.com/news/end-credit-debit-card-fees/

Do you mean shops can't charge like 95p to allow you to pay by card?

My local convenience store charges 95p if you want to pay by card but doesn't charge this if you're spending £10+.

They don't have a minimum spend which probably explains why they have the 95p charge
andrewworrall18 m ago

Do you mean shops can't charge like 95p to allow you to pay by card?My …Do you mean shops can't charge like 95p to allow you to pay by card?My local convenience store charges 95p if you want to pay by card but doesn't charge this if you're spending £10+. They don't have a minimum spend which probably explains why they have the 95p charge

Outlawed a couple of years ago - they *can* set a minimum spend however.
andrewworrall19 m ago

Do you mean shops can't charge like 95p to allow you to pay by card?My …Do you mean shops can't charge like 95p to allow you to pay by card?My local convenience store charges 95p if you want to pay by card but doesn't charge this if you're spending £10+. They don't have a minimum spend which probably explains why they have the 95p charge

No, basically they won't let you get cashback unless you spend £10 or more in their store. I don't think they even give an option to pay in ours.
I pay for most things by card, the only exception is when I buy anything from small, local businesses. A little less money into the banking system and a little more into the local economy can only be a good thing.
95p is a bargain. The only cash machine within 5 miles of me is £1.75 per transaction. Every ATM that I have ever seen that charges is the same.
Suffice to say I don't use it.
When I worked for Woolwich/Barclays, ATM withdrawals from third party ATMs cost upwards of 50p each withdrawal, and that was over ten years ago. People don't always think that it cost anything to run them, so in today's world 95p is probably about right. The only difference is now you become more aware of paying for it and non users are not subsidising you.
Edited by: "hubcms" 23rd Apr
Shard22/04/2019 16:48

Here's some …Here's some linkshttps://www.mirror.co.uk/money/thousands-more-cash-machines-start-14307451https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6917655/Thousands-ATMs-charge-95p-cash.htmlThis will really affect the homeless, although I gather there has been some chatter about swiping for them as well.Churches already do thishttps://www.itv.com/news/2018-03-20/church-of-england-introduces-contactless-payments/

37516051-4GiB8.jpg

Cashless society.. Not a problem.

37516051-xek8H.jpg
I only use card (don't even have contactless on my stupid card for some reason even though it's I got it recently (it's not supposed to be contactless)
It's much easier to just carry a card and pay with that without worrying about a stack of money falling out your pocket
No getting change or being short or having to worry about counting plus it's easier to track your transections
Edited by: "Norseg" 23rd Apr
Chiptivo10 h, 5 m ago

[Image] Cashless society.. Not a problem. [Image]

Exactly if I ever became homeless I would say "no cash? No worries, whips out card reader (probably iZettle or Sumup) debit or credit? "
Edited by: "Norseg" 23rd Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions