Groups

Now 6 Points For Using Mobile Phone Whilst Driving

Must admit, I totally agree with doubling the fine and points. Can't stand people who risk others lives at the wheel whilst using a phone for whatever they're doing.

What's your opinions on this??

google.co.uk/amp…ari

86 Comments

I agree with the 6 points as I always see people on the roads texting and driving at the same time
    Edited by: "summerof76" 17th Sep 2016

Banned

Should be an instant ban. What valid excuse is there to ever be on your mobile whilst driving?

Just look at this, posted 2 days ago. Father of road death teen Liberty Baker calls for stricter mobile phone punishments

Also..

Mobile phones are biggest cause of road fatalities

There is no amount of points worthy if found using your phone at the wheel. If you don't value peoples lives and even your own you shouldn't be driving full stop.

INSTANT BAN is the only acceptable punishment for me.

Totally agree with the above. As a (motor)bike rider I come close to being wiped out daily by idiots checking their facebook whilst behind the wheel...

It should carry an instant ban. Some drivers I've spotted are so focused on their phone activity, it looks like they're drink driving - swerving across lanes etc. Incredibly dangerous.

Now this is the thread for Maccys speed camera gif! .......Maccy?

I still don't understand how a phone call or a message couldn't wait until you were fully stopped.

Original Poster

Still agree with the above that more needs to be done, I totally agree with instant ban.
    But suppose for now we should hopefully see a decrease in the number of people using phones

What is the conviction/fine rate at the moment? No point doubling the fine/points if the police CBA to stop the drivers in the first place.
    A friend of mine was caught using her mobile phone whilst driving not long ago and the PASSING PoliceMAN just waved his finger at her and shook his head. In her words, "because she was pretty, she got away with it"

instant bad for life and the same for the drunk fools

WHY?
    They're not able to enforce the existing law all this does is make the cops believe they are enforcing something they should have done a long time ago but instead they prioritise speeding a it gets them more money

Should up the fine to at least £1,000, and/or compound their vehicles...

£200 is enough of a deterrent, nor is 6 points...

I've just come back from walking the dog, and a car drove by with the driver laughing and chatting away on her mobile.

cannot bear to see it. People on the phone, texting, putting on make up, eating a sarnie, the list goes on oO what is wrong with people?

think it should only be 3 points and fine but I think the police should do more to stop it, not a day goes past without seeing someone do it and sometimes while driving past the police and they do absolutely nothing

niconelove

think it should only be 3 points and fine but I think the police should … think it should only be 3 points and fine but I think the police should do more to stop it, not a day goes past without seeing someone do it and sometimes while driving past the police and they do absolutely nothing

Why would you advocate a lesser punishment? unless of course that was to benefit you in some way. personally I think it should be treated the same as drink driving, its so dangerous.

But I agree the police pick and choose what to enforce.

Myself I have my phone on one of those magnetic holders with a charger cable in, and I "OK Google" everything, and My Xperia has a read out text option when in the car. there is pretty much zero reason to be looking at your phone.
    Edited by: "haritori" 17th Sep 2016

Banned

niconelove

think it should only be 3 points and fine but I think the police should … think it should only be 3 points and fine but I think the police should do more to stop it, not a day goes past without seeing someone do it and sometimes while driving past the police and they do absolutely nothing

Yeah because that will work.

haritori

Why would you advocate a lesser punishment? unless of course that was to … Why would you advocate a lesser punishment? unless of course that was to benefit you in some way. personally I think it should be treated the same as drink driving, its so dangerous.But I agree the police pick and choose what to enforce.Myself I have my phone on one of those magnetic holders with a charger cable in, and I "OK Google" everything, and My Xperia has a read out text option when in the car. there is pretty much zero reason to be looking at your phone.

Even some drink drivers get off lightly, some aren't even banned
    We, as a country, are too soft. We don't deter crime and we don't punish the criminal. We'll consider how that criminal lived, the suffering they have endured and the lifestyle they live then give them a hug as they leave the court.

Robert Blackwell got 4 years for killing an innocent teen (as per the link provided by MrScotchBonnet - he'll probably be out in 2 years or less. 2 years for killing an innocent. 2 years of free board and lodgings, 2 years of free 3 square meals a day, 2 years of free Sky or similar and free internet the only punishment Robert Blackwell will receive is the fact he cannot leave the prison and see the family and friends when he wants.

I know a few people who haven't committed any crimes and they are worse of than he is and it's been longer than 2 years.

As others have said it should be an instant ban 12 months (same with DUI)
    And anyone who has been banned from driving but is caught driving whilst banned should be 1 year in prison no parole etc and that sentence should be doubled on each conviction
    Shoplifters (another scum of the Earth) in most cases they are instantly freed to continue to steal and people moan because it costs too much to jail them but you are all paying anyway in higher prices at the stores for "loss prevention/security"

rant over
    Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Sep 2016

Instant ban needs to be the punishment.

more to the point what kind of moron is so unaware of their surroundings that they can even be caught using a phone whilst driving, its not as if a police car just sneaks up on you stealthy

Personally I think if you're caught you should immediately lose your licence, because

1, you were stupid enough to get caught and
    2, you were too tight to install a cheap Bluetooth thingamajig in your car.

I mean seriously you can pick up gadgets for £10 and with most modern phones you can do your calls, texts, twittering, facebooking etc without even toughing your phone.

Edited by: "eset12345" 17th Sep 2016

Drivers mobile ring tone/text notification turned to silence in the car. instant ban otherwise. There is no excuse.
    Hands free is also a very bad distraction, ban those as well.
    If its so important just stop somewhere.

Original Poster

jjaack

Drivers mobile ring tone/text notification turned to silence in the car. … Drivers mobile ring tone/text notification turned to silence in the car. instant ban otherwise. There is no excuse. Hands free is also a very bad distraction, ban those as well.If its so important just stop somewhere.

Agree, hands free are a good distraction as well as it takes your mind off from driving.
    If it's so important there's plenty of lay bys and service stations people can pull into

These mobile phone terrorists leave trails of destruction which threatens our national security and our way of life.
    Even hand free is not acceptable,phones should be free of mind.

Banned

It's in everyone's best interest, or better yet, suspend/ban them (there's a special circumstance when a driver should be permitted that I mention below).

MrScotchBonnet

What valid excuse is there to ever be on your mobile whilst driving?

There is one valid excuse for a driver to be talking on his/her phone and that would be if it's an absolute emergency -- life threatening. But that rarely so disregard that, and even in that instance, the police will become aware of it.

For a conflicting opinion I think this thread stinks of hypocrisy. It's a slippery slope to go down to say you loose your licence for a single offence as there will inevitably be people wrongly accused and so could potentially loose their homes over this.
    What's the difference between adjusting the radio, eating, smoking, applying make-up, talking with passengers etc, surely these are arguably as much of a distraction.
    Also, speed kills. I'd wager there aren't too many on here who have never broke the speed limit.
    IMO all of the above are stupid but realistically a driving ban for 1st time offenders would just push these people down the route of illegal driving which would have worse repercussions.

IMO this offence shouldn't carry a higher points penalty than speeding and potentially an unlimited fine with car seizure until paid.

Banned

john184

For a conflicting opinion I think this thread stinks of hypocrisy. It's a … For a conflicting opinion I think this thread stinks of hypocrisy. It's a slippery slope to go down to say you loose your licence for a single offence as there will inevitably be people wrongly accused and so could potentially loose their homes over this.What's the difference between adjusting the radio, eating, smoking, applying make-up, talking with passengers etc, surely these are arguably as much of a distraction. Also, speed kills. I'd wager there aren't too many on here who have never broke the speed limit.IMO all of the above are stupid but realistically a driving ban for 1st time offenders would just push these people down the route of illegal driving which would have worse repercussions.IMO this offence shouldn't carry a higher points penalty than speeding and potentially an unlimited fine with car seizure until paid.

Thank God everyone doesn't share your views on life!

I think 6 points is more than fair.

john184

For a conflicting opinion I think this thread stinks of hypocrisy. It's a … For a conflicting opinion I think this thread stinks of hypocrisy. It's a slippery slope to go down to say you loose your licence for a single offence as there will inevitably be people wrongly accused and so could potentially loose their homes over this.What's the difference between adjusting the radio, eating, smoking, applying make-up, talking with passengers etc, surely these are arguably as much of a distraction. Also, speed kills. I'd wager there aren't too many on here who have never broke the speed limit.IMO all of the above are stupid but realistically a driving ban for 1st time offenders would just push these people down the route of illegal driving which would have worse repercussions.IMO this offence shouldn't carry a higher points penalty than speeding and potentially an unlimited fine with car seizure until paid.

A couple of things you mentioned there woudl come under driving without due care and attention, I agree smoking should be banned in cars full stop.

Also I would bet we have all speeded but there is a difference between unintentionally speeding and doing 110 down the M4, thats why the guidelines for speeding recommend 10%limit+2MPH before its considered an offense.

My wife got a ticket for doing 40 in a 30, she was in a new area, it was dark at night and the car was low on fuel, she wanted to find a garage and was a little panicked about breaking down in what she thought was an unsafe area, she got caught going from a 40 to 30 on a slip road and missed the sign. she paid the fine accepted the points, but its a bit different than someone who intentionally speeds.

Also i think its a good thing, in respects the 6 points, it would give new drivers (first 2 years) an instant ban, which covers most young people and those who drive like they are above the law. I see daily young girls in there brand new Fiat 500 on their iPhone.. can afford a handsfree kit though?

john184

It's a myth that "speed kills"
    Dangerous driving kills but they can't use a radar gun/speed camera to generate cash from that.

Should be 12 points.

Put your phones away you clowns

stuarthanley

It's a myth that "speed kills" Dangerous driving kills but they can't use … It's a myth that "speed kills" Dangerous driving kills but they can't use a radar gun/speed camera to generate cash from that.

You got him boss
    You shut him up real good boss
    How can he reply when all you did boss was hit him square on the jaw with that common sense thing
    You KTFO'd him boss with that one

hehehehehe

Banned

philphil61

You got him bossYou shut him up real good bossHow can he reply when all … You got him bossYou shut him up real good bossHow can he reply when all you did boss was hit him square on the jaw with that common sense thingYou KTFO'd him boss with that onehehehehehe

Had a few tonight phil? oO

MrScotchBonnet

Had a few tonight phil? oO:D

Ain't nothing alcoholic like has passed my lips since July last year
    Neither have I had any of the good green stuff sitting in that little plastic zip bag in front of my monitor

ps If you need alcohol or other substances to make you happy you must lead a sad life.

MrScotchBonnet

Thank God everyone doesn't share your views on life!

I didn't say I agreed with it. I think a crime should be matched by an appropriate sentence. Can't see how it is a smart thing to introduce a measure that could potentially result in a licence ban as a result of a police officers word being taken as fact when they will likely have a quota to reach - their in car camera isn't going to catch anyone texting below the wheel.

Think points aren't the correct deterent, surely an unlimited fine, discretionary points depending on circumstance and/or car seizure is a better deterrent.

Also, anyone who thinks speed doesn't kill is deluding themselves..child runs out in front of you doing 40 in a 30 and the child is twice as likely to die not even factoring in increased breaking distance or reaction times... but then people are too self obsessed to see how things affect other people instead of themselves until "I didn't see the child".

Proportionally far more people die as a result of speeding and poor driving standards. When you get 2 years for manslaughter for killing said child I don't think a 2 year driving ban for texting is the appropriate place to start, especially as this can only increase the amount of uninsured drivers on roads with next to no physical police presence.

Why even have your phone turned on if you are driving. Is that not just tempting fate?
    Edited by: "MSK." 17th Sep 2016

john184

I didn't say I agreed with it. I think a crime should be matched by an … I didn't say I agreed with it. I think a crime should be matched by an appropriate sentence. Can't see how it is a smart thing to introduce a measure that could potentially result in a licence ban as a result of a police officers word being taken as fact when they will likely have a quota to reach - their in car camera isn't going to catch anyone texting below the wheel.Think points aren't the correct deterent, surely an unlimited fine, discretionary points depending on circumstance and/or car seizure is a better deterrent.Also, anyone who thinks speed doesn't kill is deluding themselves..child runs out in front of you doing 40 in a 30 and the child is twice as likely to die not even factoring in increased breaking distance or reaction times... but then people are too self obsessed to see how things affect other people instead of themselves until "I didn't see the child".Proportionally far more people die as a result of speeding and poor driving standards. When you get 2 years for manslaughter for killing said child I don't think a 2 year driving ban for texting is the appropriate place to start, especially as this can only increase the amount of uninsured drivers on roads with next to no physical police presence.

Child runs out in front of car doing 40 in a 30 = should be classed as dangerous driving.
    A Child that runs out in front of a car doing 40 in a 50 is still going to die but the driver isn't speeding.
    Car doing 100 on an empty, straight motorway is speeding but isn't going to hit a child.

moneysavingkitten

Why even have your phone turned on if you are driving. Is that not jut … Why even have your phone turned on if you are driving. Is that not jut tempting fate?

Bluetooth music/calls.
    Who honestly turns their phone off when driving?

http://www.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/police-troll.gif

stuarthanley

Bluetooth music/calls. Who honestly turns their phone off when driving?

Probably no one but me, but perhaps they should. There's no temptation if it's off.

moneysavingkitten

Probably no one but me, but perhaps they should. There's no temptation … Probably no one but me, but perhaps they should. There's no temptation if it's off.

Mine is always on but stays in my pocket. Bluetooth to car for calls or music but nowhere near my hands.

It should be made law if someone runs into the back of you you can check their phone for recent activity we got hit in a supermarket carpark the girl in question said she didn't see us .i was gonna take the car to the dealers for a full check over and bill her ,imo the fine s not enough
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cat Chat74711
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213637
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …132309
      4. Your dream gaming set up?814

See more discussions