Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 12th Dec 2021
Recently switched from BT to Now broadband and noticed Now broadband signal strength is too weak and not able to cover a 1 Bed property . Planning to take a third party router but found out in google that m "you must not use a modem that we haven't supplied to you in order to access Now Broadband ". Can someone suggest if you are using third party router or any other alternatives to resolve signal strength issues?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
16 Comments
  1. Avatar
    fishmaster12/12/2021 16:49

BHK means Bedroom, Hall and Kitchen? Not great when you have to look up …BHK means Bedroom, Hall and Kitchen? Not great when you have to look up acronyms! Almost stopped me from replying anyway....Buy and install a MESH based system, there are plenty of MESH deals on HotUKDeals. Problem solved. Some examples >https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tp-link-deco-m4-ac1200-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack-ps9799-using-code-at-box-3847447https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mercusys-halo-s33-pack-300mbps-384641https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bt-mini-whole-home-wi-fi-four-discs-mesh-system-ps90-with-code-10-off-all-bt-products-at-bt-shop-3847253https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tenda-nova-mw6-3-pack-3847505

i lost interest at BHK too lol
  2. Avatar
    Modem Router
  3. Avatar
    I have the mercusys S12 AC1200 in my three bedroom.

this will be more than enough for your one bedroom.

the two pack is currently £31.99 on eBay
  4. Avatar
    Get a new router, turn wireless off the current one and just use it as a modem only...
  5. Avatar
    Do you still have the BT router and was its Wifi performance good enough, if so turn off its smart setup, change its IP address to the same subnet as the NOW router, eg 192.168.0.254, disable its DHCP server and plug one of its yellow ethernet ports into one of the ethernet ports on the NOW router with an ethernet cable and you can use its wifi instead of the NOW router's, and you can also use the extra ethernet ports.

Or if you prefer you can use another modem router with Now, I do myself, but you may need to dig out the Now router if you ever need to contact support for a line fault, to do a line test.

Now fibre (VDSL) connections use IPoE protocol (instead of PPPoe) with DHCPv4 option 61 (DHCP clientID) to authenticate, they don't validate the CientID it can contain anything (some routers require it to be in hex eg 31323334), and in most cases setting up IP V6 with prefix delegation will also work as an alternative. You don't need to obtain the password (clientID string) from the Now router.

Now ADSL use PPPoA, the username can contain anything@nowtv and password can be anything.
    Edited by: "melted" 12th Dec
  6. Avatar
    Author
    melted12/12/2021 21:53

Do you still have the BT router and was its Wifi performance good enough, …Do you still have the BT router and was its Wifi performance good enough, if so turn off its smart setup, change its IP address to the same subnet as the NOW router, eg 192.168.0.254, disable its DHCP server and plug one of its yellow ethernet ports into one of the two ethernet ports on the NOW router with an ethernet cable and you can use its wifi instead on the NOW router, and you can also use the extra ethernet ports.Or if you prefer you can use another modem router with Now, I do myself, but you may need to dig out the Now router if you ever need to contact support for a line fault, to do a line test.Now use IPoA protocol (instead of PPPoe) with DHCPv4 option 61 (DHCP client) to authenticate, they don't validate the CientID it can contain anything (some routers require it to be in hex eg 313233), and in most cases setting up IP V6 with prefix delegation will also work as an alternative. So you don't need to obtain the password (clientID string) from the router.

It was very detailed. Thanks for your response . Appreciated
  7. Avatar
    Router is faulty?

I have Now Broadband and it perfectly cover my 3 bed house + around 5 meters around.
  8. Avatar
    simbaa12/12/2021 21:59

There were a couple of errors/omissions, I've corrected it.
  9. Avatar
    Admast7912/12/2021 22:35

Router is faulty?I have Now Broadband and it perfectly cover my 3 bed …Router is faulty?I have Now Broadband and it perfectly cover my 3 bed house + around 5 meters around.

Lots of people complain about the performance of the Now routers, I wasn't impressed by it, and wifi performance and range is affected by factors like other nearby wifi access points, thickness and structure of walls etc.

Before every ISP started handing out Wifi enabled routers, let alone many providing their customers with dual channel routers with mesh and multiple access points/nodes, a single Netgear DG834GT router (first router provided by Sky) covered my whole house and large garden plus workshop, 2.4ghz is now swamped at my address and there are multiple mesh linked access points being used by neighbours, and I need three wireless access points to cover the same area.
    Edited by: "melted" 12th Dec
  10. Avatar
    Author
    simbaa12/12/2021 21:59

I followed these instructions. Turned off DHCP and updated subnet mask and connected Bt hub to Now via ethernet. Which wifi need to connect after the setup. Now or BT hub? Because if I connect BT there is no wifi signal showing up
  11. Avatar
    simbaa12/12/2021 23:19

I followed these instructions. Turned off DHCP and updated subnet mask and …I followed these instructions. Turned off DHCP and updated subnet mask and connected Bt hub to Now via ethernet. Which wifi need to connect after the setup. Now or BT hub? Because if I connect BT there is no wifi signal showing up

You should be able to connect using the BT hub's wifi. Sorry if my explanation wasn't very good, but leave the BT hub subnet mask set to the default 255.255.255.0, and change its IP address so that it is in address range of the Now Hub, so if the Now hub's IP address is 192.168.0.1, setting the BT hub to an unused address between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 should be fine.

The Now router's DHCP server will provide devices that connect to the BT hub's wifi with an IP address and the correct gateway address for accessing the internet (hence the need to disable dhcp on the BT router). The BT router will just serve as a network switch and Wifi access point. Once you get it working either disable wifi on the Now router, or set the wifi channels on each of them several channels apart so they don't conflict, you can set the same SSIDs and passwords on both routers if you wish, or keep them different so you can choose which to connect to.

As an example, here's a webpage covering configuring an old tp-link DSL router as an wireless access point:- tp-link.com/us/…55/ (although you should change the IP settings before disabling the DHCP server on the old BT router, and connect the cable last. Maybe someone else can provide a link to a better guide?

The BT router's smart setup also needs to disabled, otherwise it will reactivate its own DHCP server and redirect your browser to its connection error page (because its dsl modem is not being used and can't connect).
    Edited by: "melted" 22 h, 2 m ago
  12. Avatar
    Author
    melted13/12/2021 01:18

You should be able to connect using the BT hub's wifi. Sorry if my …You should be able to connect using the BT hub's wifi. Sorry if my explanation wasn't very good, but leave the BT hub subnet mask set to the default 255.255.255.0, and change its IP address so that it is in address range of the Now Hub, so if the Now hub's IP address is 192.168.0.1, setting the BT hub to an unused address between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 should be fine. The Now router's DHCP server will provide devices that connect to the BT hub's wifi with an IP address and the correct gateway address for accessing the internet (hence the need to disable dhcp on the BT router). The BT router will just serve as a network switch and Wifi access point. Once you get it working either disable wifi on the Now router, or set the wifi channels on each of them several channels apart so they don't conflict, you can set the same SSIDs and passwords on both routers if you wish, or keep them different so you can choose which to connect to.As an example, here's a webpage covering configuring an old tp-link DSL router as an wireless access point:- https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2655/ (although you should change the IP settings before disabling the DHCP server on the old BT router, and connect the cable last. Maybe someone else can provide a link to a better guide?The BT router's smart setup also needs to disabled, otherwise it will reactivate its own DHCP server and redirect your browser to its connection error page (because its dsl modem is not being used and can't connect).

Please ignore my previous comments. It is working 😃.. thanks a lot
  13. Avatar
    You have tried the basics haven't you, like changing the WiFi channel.?

On your mobile have a look on the store for WiFi analizers etc. Ones which display which channel wireless networks are on.

Then look for a empty slot or less busy area and just set your WiFi channel to that. If I put mine on 4 which is busy I can't get signal in toilet. It's currently on 8 which has no other networks and I get just under full signal.
  14. Avatar
    You’ll save a lot of faff if you kept your old BT router - all you need to do is disable dhcp on it and then connect its Ethernet port up to your now router and you will have your old BT wireless back in place again. Now and Sky routers seem to have shockingly bad wifi coverage from their boxes
  15. Avatar
    MonkeysUncle13/12/2021 06:43

On your mobile have a look on the store for WiFi analizers etc. Ones which …On your mobile have a look on the store for WiFi analizers etc. Ones which display which channel wireless networks are on.

I would currently recommend Wifiman by Ubiquity play.google.com/sto…=US (also available for iphone). Free, no adverts. The new signal mapper feature which graphs signal strength, or latency and which access point you are currently connected to while you wander around the house is quite neat. And it also does the usual wifi channel graphs and speedtests.
Post a comment
Top Merchants