NOW Broadband router, improve Wifi?

Posted 19th Jun
Hi, I am signed up to NOW broadband (not fibre) and have the NOW TV Hub 2. The wifi isn't great and I seem to remember that someone mentioned in a broadband deal thread that you can use the router, switch off the wifi and, somehow, connect up to a better wifi router.

Firstly, can this be done with the Hub 2 and, if so, how is it done?
Secondly, assuming that it can be done (and is reasonably straightforward for a technophobe) which wifi router would people recommend as a good option?

I hope that this makes sense!

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
The wi-fi part isnt anything to do with Sky or any ISP - so you can take another router than has good wifi and connect it to your ISP's supplied modem/router by the Ethernet ports and you wlll get a new Wifi name appear from the new box. if you dont turn off the original then you'll just get two names to connect to. N.B. you must only have DHCP server enabled in one - i.e. the ISP supplied modem/router.
You could also try wifi extenders to repeat the wifi from the original or powerline adapters. i use a combo of 5Ghz band for things near to the router, 2.4Ghz band for further away (but not so fast), and powerline for further away rooms but retaining higher speed.
Edited by: "jwsg" 19th Jun
If its slow speed, then there's not much you can do except move the router?

But if you got good speed but your WiFi reach is weak then invest in a mesh system. Various options available. I've got the bt mesh discs.
Hi jwsg, thanks for your reply.
Sorry for this but I probably didn't make the full extent of my ignorance known in my first posting!. I have no idea what the DHCP is but, presumably, it is already enabled and I would have to, somehow, turn it off on the second one.
I already use powerlines for a couple of devices but use Wifi for everything else. I have a Sky wifi booster that was sent to me free of charge when I was a customer of theirs - it supposedly takes the wifi signal and acts as a repeater but it doesn't seem to do much.

Am I reading your response correctly? Are you saying that I can use a wifi extender from a powerline adapter? I am currently using TP Link powerline adapters (if that's relevant). If I can do that could you give me an idea of the type of thing I should be trying to buy?

Thanks
When you say WiFi isn't great is it just a case of you're not getting WiFi in all parts of the house
I was using tp-link homeplugs to cure my wifi problems, but now upgraded to a Tenda MW6 mesh system as i got a good deal.
KingAzzA19/06/2020 18:46

When you say WiFi isn't great is it just a case of you're not getting WiFi …When you say WiFi isn't great is it just a case of you're not getting WiFi in all parts of the house

Yes, it seems to come and go when you are at the further point of the house
A1RN19/06/2020 21:35

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/can-mobile-routers-be-used-with-normal-landline-internet-3488602#comment-41142210

Thanks. Looks a little complicated ( to those not technically adept). Do you connect the 2 routers with a standard ethernet cable?
I would recommend a WiFi mesh system. Depending on budget have a look at Tends MW6 or BT Whole Home WiFi
I had a similar issue with my virgin media WiFi signal being crap and only working in 3 rooms. Setup BT disks and now get pretty much full speeds in every part of the house and the garden
KingAzzA20/06/2020 09:18

I would recommend a WiFi mesh system. Depending on budget have a look at …I would recommend a WiFi mesh system. Depending on budget have a look at Tends MW6 or BT Whole Home WiFiI had a similar issue with my virgin media WiFi signal being crap and only working in 3 rooms. Setup BT disks and now get pretty much full speeds in every part of the house and the garden

Thanks for the advice - I've never heard of a mesh system before. Had a quick look and they aren't cheap are they.

Does the mesh system have its own wifi name and password or do they use the same one as the router?
Burgmeister20/06/2020 09:21

Thanks for the advice - I've never heard of a mesh system before. Had a …Thanks for the advice - I've never heard of a mesh system before. Had a quick look and they aren't cheap are they. Does the mesh system have its own wifi name and password or do they use the same one as the router?

Thats your choice. You would disable the WiFi on your Sky Hub and the name the Mesh system whatever you want with your own chosen password. Good thing is they're compatible with all ISPs so if you switch broadband provider you just disable the WiFi on new router again and carry on with existing details on the mesh system
Also noticed a drop in wifi coverage when upgrading from original Nowtv hub to hub2. Not sorted it yet. Probably go back to original hub but worried it is less secure. Will look into comments here sound useful
mw6 you can pick up for £110 for 3 if you know where to look. that's why i'm selling my homeplugs as i needed 1 more and the price of another tplink with wifi was heading towards the £100 mark

i'm with nowtv using hub2
Post a comment
@
    Text